Subject: Addons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Lo
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I late backed this game before the PM went up. For a first time creator, DGG seems to be doing a respectable job keeping backers in the loop with upfront honesty and communication which is why I decided to back them.

Now that the PM is up, I'm curious as to what people are getting. I saw an older thread on this, but decided to get an idea of what others are going for. I'm currently looking at Nyx and maybe Castle Dracula (theme is appealing), but I suppose I can always get it later depending on retail availability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I grabbed them all, except the Japanese heroes and that one Anime looking cross over. Just doesn't fit the theme imho.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree about the Japanese figures looking out of place, and have decided to pass on those too. I am also going to pass on the extra tiles pack, engraved dice and dice bag too.

When I add up the cost of all of the other add-ons it comes to $196 which makes me a little bit concerned, as it's a lot. I'm not exactly sure what some of the add-ons are going to add. I mean, is the base game lacking in choice in certain areas, making some of these add ons more attractive than others. Admittedly I have not had the time yet to analyse this closely?

Would anybody be willing to post a rundown of the individual add-ons together with some opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm either thinking about upgraiding my hunter pledge to slayer or keeping my hunter pledge and adding the Dracula add on.
With the stretch goals added I think there is enough in the box.
And there still is the chance the game just isn't great keeping me from getting more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lo
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
slim17 wrote:
When I add up the cost of all of the other add-ons it comes to $196 which makes me a little bit concerned, as it's a lot. I'm not exactly sure what some of the add-ons are going to add. I mean, is the base game lacking in choice in certain areas, making some of these add ons more attractive than others.

Ouch! $196 is no joke. I already have the slayers pledge, which is pricey in itself, even before you include shipping. Arguably, the Night is Darker expansion is necessary if you plan to have more players and/or want to up the difficulty, but you have a point in that other addons are just "bling." Maybe I'll just stick with the pledge I got...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please, please don't let this one be another first time creator screw up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK. I've listed the add-ons below and attempted to categorise them. As a result, feels to me like I might get the expansions. But not sure about the rest of the stuff. I have some observations/questions...

- Seems the game already has a stack load of heroes (especially Kickstarter exclusive heroes). Do these new add-on heroes really add that much different?

- Likewise, seems like the game already has quite a lot of baddies in it. Can these add-on baddies be used in very scenario? Are some worth getting more than others?

Expansions
----------

Castle Dracula - $30
The Night Is Darker - $35

More Goodies
------------

Peter Constant - $10
Shadroe 'Rat' Decatur - $10
Japanese Heroes - $20
Nyx - $10

More Baddies Bosses??
--------------

Vibora And The Jararaca - $15
The Varacolaci - $25
Gugadeth And The Elder Guardian - $20
Brith - $15

More Baddies??
--------------

Crawlers - $10

Miscellaneous
-------------

3D Scenery Pack - $16
Extra Map Tiles - $16
Hunter Engaved Dice - $10
Vampire Engraved Dice - $10
Dice Bag - $5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I'd love to, this project and Deep Madness have me firmly on the fence. I'm likely to bail on both, see if they can actually deliver, and then bite the bullet after market if I really want it. They can both enjoy my $1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Schererville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got them all, except the extra room tile pack.

Now hopefully we're not waiting for the next 2-3 years to get it all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
As much as I'd love to, this project and Deep Madness have me firmly on the fence. I'm likely to bail on both, see if they can actually deliver, and then bite the bullet after market if I really want it. They can both enjoy my $1.

What puts you on the fence with VH? Is it just first time creators or something else?

I'm currently debating my Deep Madness pledge because of the art changes and rules changes they've made so far.

Whereas Vampire Hunters as a system seams much more tangible. I feel like I know how it will play and how these expansions will work. I'm just not sure how DM plays or if there are going to be many more changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slim17 wrote:
OK. I've listed the add-ons below and attempted to categorise them. As a result, feels to me like I might get the expansions. But not sure about the rest of the stuff. I have some observations/questions...

- Seems the game already has a stack load of heroes (especially Kickstarter exclusive heroes). Do these new add-on heroes really add that much different?

- Likewise, seems like the game already has quite a lot of baddies in it. Can these add-on baddies be used in very scenario? Are some worth getting more than others?

Expansions
----------

Castle Dracula - $30

More Goodies
------------

Peter Constant - $10
Japanese Heroes - $20
Nyx - $10

More Baddies Bosses??
--------------

The Varacolaci - $25
Brith - $15

More Baddies??
--------------

Crawlers - $10

Miscellaneous
-------------

3D Scenery Pack - $16
Extra Map Tiles - $16
Dice Bag - $5

I think it's important to note that these are KS exclusives:
The Varacolaci - $25
Peter Constant - $10
Nyx - $10
3D Scenery Pack - $16
Dice Bag - $5[/q]

On my end, I'm most likely going to add The Night Is Darker - $35 because it adds a lot to the game and Gugadeth And The Elder Guardian - $20 because I think the model just looks amazing and is KS exclusive. Everything else I can do without or wait for retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psycho Wolf
Germany
Saarbrücken
flag msg tools
mb
slim17 wrote:

Expansions
----------
Slayer Expansion

Quite not sure about that one. The KS exclusives don't catch me, but the content itself. Altought didn't know if the Lurkers introduce a new mechanic like the Varacolaci

slim17 wrote:

Castle Dracula - $30

No, since 30 (or 35, depending on where you look) for 4 Minis and a Campaign with 2 new tiles seems too much to me.

slim17 wrote:

Obvious choice for bigger groups. Also adds much material to a good price

slim17 wrote:

More Goodies
------------

Peter Constant - $10
Japanese Heroes - $20
Nyx - $10

Except for Nyx, which I order for a friend of mine liking the miniature, I agree with the others here, that the game already contains enough hunters.

slim17 wrote:

More Baddies Bosses??
--------------
The Varacolaci - $25

I'll get both due to their origin ("From Dusk 'til Dawn" and "The Strain"). Furtheron the Varacolaci introduce a new mechanic as far as I understand them.

slim17 wrote:

Brith - $15

Imho too expensive even if very nice looking.

slim17 wrote:

More Baddies??
--------------

Crawlers - $10

Didn't catch me...

slim17 wrote:

Miscellaneous
-------------
3D Scenery Pack - $16

Struggling with that one, but I think, I'll get it. On the last KS I didn't take those and now it bothers me a little.

slim17 wrote:

Extra Map Tiles - $16
Dice Bag - $5

Why should I need those. Also the dice are to expensive, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
What puts you on the fence with VH? Is it just first time creators or something else?

I'm currently debating my Deep Madness pledge because of the art changes and rules changes they've made so far.

Whereas Vampire Hunters as a system seams much more tangible. I feel like I know how it will play and how these expansions will work. I'm just not sure how DM plays or if there are going to be many more changes.

I think for me, it's the combination of a few factors. First timer is certainly a factor, but that combined with the ambition of the project and the cost to get everything (I'd have to, another problem altogether) makes it a deal-breaker for me. If it was CMoN running it, I'd probably jump on it in a minute. That isn't the case, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lo
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Psycho Wolf makes some good points.

I'm not sure I want the scenery pack. It increases the immersion for sure and will look nice on the board, but this is going to come down to a personal choice.

I guess for me it comes down to the expansions. Of all the addons, the Night is Darker (NiD) expansion seems to offer the best value for the money. When Psycho lays out what you get in Castle Dracula, it does seem expensive, lol. 4 minis + 4 hunts + 1 campaign + 2 tiles ($30) vs 18 minis + 6 hunts + 1 campaign + 3 tiles ($35). I suppose the price is mainly due to the theme, but I think the price point should've been lower.

Other opinions here have convinced me not to get any of the extra hunters. There's plenty in the slayers pledge plus more if I go for the NiD expansion.

I agree that Brith and Gugadeth elders are too expensive for what you get, so easy pass there.

That leaves Vibora And the Jararaca and the Varacolaci. Vibora has better value than Varacolaci (price per mini), but Varacolaci adds new interesting mechanics. Hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:

I think for me, it's the combination of a few factors. First timer is certainly a factor, but that combined with the ambition of the project and the cost to get everything (I'd have to, another problem altogether) makes it a deal-breaker for me. If it was CMoN running it, I'd probably jump on it in a minute. That isn't the case, unfortunately.

The project itself is making me risk the first timer. Vampire Hunter theme is just too cool to pass! And I'm actually surprised we haven't seen something like this before...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After much deliberation I ended up pledging like this:

Expansions
----------

Castle Dracula - NO
The Night Is Darker - YES

More Goodies
------------

Peter Constant - NO
Shadroe 'Rat' Decatur - NO
Japanese Heroes - NO
Nyx - NO

More Baddies Bosses??
--------------

Vibora And The Jararaca - YES
The Varacolaci - YES
Gugadeth And The Elder Guardian - YES
Brith - NO

More Baddies??
--------------

Crawlers - YES

Miscellaneous
-------------

3D Scenery Pack - YES
Extra Map Tiles - NO
Hunter Engaved Dice - NO
Vampire Engraved Dice - NO
Dice Bag - NO

Goddamn this game worked out expensive. Here's hoping this is a true project of passion for the creators, and that this game ends up being truly phenomenal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went for a more minimal approach, just upgraiding my hunter pledge to slayer. Nothing else added.
That will be more then enough game I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am late pledging this game. Here's what I'm doing...
Quote:
Expansions
----------
Castle Dracula - $30 thumbsup
The Night Is Darker - $35 thumbsup

More Goodies
------------
Peter Constant - $10 X
Shadroe 'Rat' Decatur - $10 X
Japanese Heroes - $20 X
Nyx - $10 thumbsup

More Baddies Bosses??
--------------
Vibora And The Jararaca - $15 thumbsup
The Varacolaci - $25 thumbsup
Gugadeth Elder Guardian - $20 thumbsup
Brith - $15 thumbsup

More Baddies??
--------------
Crawlers - $10 thumbsup

Miscellaneous
-------------
3D Scenery Pack - $16 thumbsup
The rest... X

I like the theme. The reason I am not waiting for retail is because I don't live in USA, so I can't expect to get a better deal from a USA wargames store. A big company like CMON or FFG would have free international shipping via Amazon. A small fresh company may not even have Amazon listings, for the expansions at least.

Currently, this late pledge seems to be offering really great shipping. For example, an add-on is only $1 extra shipping fee. I don't know how the company got such a good deal on global shipping, but I'll take it. Spoke too soon. There is a "base shipping fee" of $44.50.

So the things I don't want are the extra tiles, engraved dice, etc, which I don't know who needs. The 2 crossover heroes are too expensive for what they are.

The Japanese team seems to break theme for the sake of japanophilia and nothing else. I don't see any oni for us to hunt?

The reason I want Nyx is because I think "elder vampire helps humanity hunt her kin" is a great narrative. It may be cliched but if it can evoke "Arcueid Brunestud hunting the fallen True Ancestors" for me, I'll take it.

I hope her battle with Gugadeth will be legendary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What addons would you prioritize? The Night Is Darker feels like the first thing to add for me. I will probably never play 5-6 players but nightmare mode seems very interesting. Or what do you Think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your priority is "value for money", then The Night Is Darker expansion is definitely first choice. It isn't Kickstarter Exclusive, though, so you could wait for it to come out in retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Matheson
United States
Norman
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As far as pledge (Slayer's) and add on's I got

The Night is Darker
Vibora And The Jararaca
The Varacolaci
Gugadeth And The Elder Guardian
Brith
3D Scenery Pack
Hunter Engaved Dice
Crawlers
Nyx

I like the Nyx mini, better than the mini that comes with the actual game the character comes from. Plus she is both a hunter and elder vampire

I decided against the extra tiles because a) they seem to be the same on both sides and are an abandoned looking mansion. I'd rather have had them be some set of modern buildings on the other side: nightclub, office, morgue, or whatever. It could be a variety, or perhaps a set of 'catacombs' beneath the house. Something other than what they are.

Plus I figured out of all that stuff I get 12 tiles (as the expansions add some) and if this game releases more in the future I'll get them if they are different. Like other locations. I would love a vampire 'blood temple' complex like you see in Blade. Also the areas like vampires have in Blade, like the night clubs and areas where their archives were, things like that. Yet, for all things vampire a 'gothic' set would be good for someone who got Dracula. Lots of room for new tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.