Mason Wang
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Played first 2 games of cosmic with 3 other people, it was the first time for all of us.

We shuffled in all of the flare deck, meaning that each new hand contained like 3-5 flare cards.

We also didn't know you could only play one flare card per turn (although we did know you could only play a flare card once)

The games were beautiful, everyone was spamming 3 flares each turn. Round 1, there were Virus (me), Vulch, cudgel, and Oracle. I had the vulch flare but discarded it and vulch picked it up, grabbing like, 8 flare cards before running out of encounter cards. Vulch also picked up the remora? flare, but forgot to use it to never run out of encounter card. Vulch also used the kamikaze and mirror flare to win a bunch of encounters.

The second game, I was anti-matter against reincarnator, citadel, and mirror. At some point, I got the classic filch flare, and stole back some ships and tried to steal the whole deck of cards (but failed). We removed it from the game. Reincarnator got Macron, machine, and healer. I lost my powers and he won with the parasite flare.

The whole time, we were openly discussing what cards we had. A few times, we just gave each other flare cards. I had the sorcerer flare (which I used but eventually discarded) but I also had the gambler flare and the human flare, which I just gave to citadel. We banned card discussion and trading tho, after looking up the rules.

We didn't finish the third game, but we (observer, dictator, and vulch) teamed against clone because he won the first two times. He had a kamikaze+zombie flare, but we didn't finish the game.

Each turn lasted 15-20 minutes and each new hand required a few minutes of reading/strategizing with the flares. The flares felt like 90% of the game, and I can't imagine the game being as fun without the extra/freewheeling flares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you do, don't cross the streams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Muskat
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a game of Cosmic played inside a beehive, but the bees are all playing electric guitars. Good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glorious pandemonium!

Everyone who's played Cosmic for more than a week has messed up and included too many flares at least once. To do it in such spectacular fashion, and learning the game that way, and enjoying it that much?

I do believe you were meant to be a Cosmic Encounter player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Registrationsucks wrote:
I had the vulch flare but discarded it and vulch picked it up, grabbing like, 8 flare cards before running out of encounter cards.

That's another rule you got wrong. Vulch doesn't pick up flares, it picks up Artifacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Vulch doesn't pick up flares, it picks up Artifacts.

Unless it had its Super flare. Admittedly, this seems unlikely based on the massive size of the cosmic deck that must have been in play. On the other hand they were freely handing flares around to each other, so maybe somebody said to the Vulch, "here dude, be Super."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Wang
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It was the super flare, I had it but don't remember how he got it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Wang
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Game 3 we all got really salty at the player who was vulch round 1 and reincarnate round 2 because he won twice, the second time being with a sneaky parasite flare trick. We teamed against him, dictator targeted him every time, I was observer and allied w people.

Dictator cheated, when the destiny deck ran out of red cards he would mix them back in.

Afterwards, he called it "filch 2.0"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
you should try dual power games next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you not have a problem with people being unable to play/discarding their hand a ton from lack of Encounter cards?

Also I immediately thought of my flare deck with most of the FFG aliens in it and wondered how you could make such a mistake without it seeming obvious. Then I realized you would have a much more manageable 50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Wang
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Yeah that happened a lot, however, in 2/3 games, one player had the remora flare
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.