Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
KAMI
Tsukuyomi - gain an Upgrade card (at cost) each Kami turn, Kami Power is 'gain a nice discount'
Susanoo - deploy a bushi each Kami turn, Kami power is to deploy 2 additional Bushi
Amaterasu - set to highest honor each kami turn; Kami power is when you win Harvest Reward of a Province you may automatically kill one local figure belonging to each Clan that has lower Honor than you
Hachiman - gain 2 ronin each Kami turn; Kami Power: At the end of a Harvest Mandate, the player may convert any number of their Ronin tokens into twice the number of Coins.
Raijin - perform 2 moves each Kami turn
Fujin - gain 2 coin each Kami turn
Ryujin - gain 1 VP for each stronghold on the map each Kami turn, Kami power is when you Marshal you may move your figures to the Ship Routes that connect to their Province (maximum of one figure per Ship Route). At the beginning of war phase move figures into an adjacent province.

SPRING
Koneko - grants its clan extra coins whenever it is killed.
Nure-Onna - able to cross a shipping lane to join a battle.
Sacred Warrior - becomes stronger the more Virtues your clan manages to accumulate.
Jikininiki - Whenever an enemy dies the Jikininiki may move to its province.
Daikaiju - roams the oceans, staying away from the provinces until War starts and it may suddenly decide to shuffle inland and wreak havoc.
Oni of Skulls - 3 force in any war where you have the lowest honor
Temple Dog - Counts as a Shinto
Kotahi - double the Harvest rewards of the province it occupies.

SUMMER
Sunakake Baba - able to bring other Bushi with her when she moves to a different province.
Kitsune - negates the force of all but one figure from each opponent during war.
Oni of Plagues- keep those more honorable than you away from you
Yurei- Counts as a daimyo with 2 force
Oni of Souls - If you win a war with this monster, gain a point for each Oni you have
Oni of Blood - Players with higher honor than you cannot move or summon non-monsters to this province
Pheonix - Whenever it is killed, it automatically reappears in the same province and raises the honor of its clan.
Jinmenju - When the Jinmenju is Summoned to a Province, their Clan steals 1 Coin and 1 Ronin from each opponent with any figures in that Province.

FALL
Oni of Hate - When this enters a province (for any reason), kill a local Bushi or Shinto from each player with higher honor
River Dragon - Counts as 5 force
Oni of Spite - When this enters a province (for any reason), steal a point from all players with higher honor
Fire Dragon - has 3 Force both to help grant you a Province's Harvest Reward, and also in Battle. Not only that but when a Battle starts, the Fire Dragon burns the land around it, killing one figure from each enemy in the same Province.
Jorogumo - At the start of a Battle, the Jorogumo is able to turn opponents' figures to your side, lending their Force and any abilities to your Clan's side of the Battle resolution.

DYNASTY INVASION EXPANSION MONSTERS (Sun and Moon clan only)
Jorojin - While on map, Virtue Season cards cost owner 1 less Coin.
Ebisu - When Killed, owner immediately gains 8 coins
Fukurokuju - counts as a daimyo
Bishamon - If an opponent's monster is in the same province, counts as 4 force
Benten - Monsters from other clans in the same zone lose abilities and count as 0 force
Daikokuten - Automatically counts as highest force for harvest mandates
Hotei - May worship as Shinto. If your Clan doesn't win the favor of the Kami in the Temple where Hotei is, then nobody else can win that favor either.

And I have questions if anyone knows the answers: Can Jikininiki move from the reserve to a spot where an enemy dies, or does it have to be on the board? Can Sunakake Baba move units belonging to other players? It doesn't make sense otherwise. Anyone have an idea on how the Oni of Plagues could be different from the Oni of Blood?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: List of Monsters and what they do
Thanks for this...that's a lot of work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elac yenwod
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
There are definitely strategies for Sunakake Baba for either way. Take enemy units away, or move bushi to Sunakake Baba then move them all to another territory. Or move the bushi with SB then have the bushi move their normal move. The bushi then get to move two territories on one marshall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Thank you Phil; nice work! Keep it updated, of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dude Dudeston
msg tools
skies wrote:
SPRING
Koneko - grants its clan extra coins whenever it is killed.
Nure-Onna - able to cross a shipping lane to join a battle.
Sacred Warrior - becomes stronger the more Virtues your clan manages to accumulate.
Jikininiki - Whenever an enemy dies the Jikininiki may move to its province.
Daikaiju - roams the oceans, staying away from the provinces until War starts and it may suddenly decide to shuffle inland and wreak havoc.
Oni of Skulls - 3 force in any war where you have the lowest honor
Temple Dog - Counts as a Shinto
Kotahi - double the Harvest rewards of the province it occupies.

SUMMER
Sunakake Baba - able to bring other Bushi with her when she moves to a different province.
Kitsune - negates the force of all but one figure from each opponent during war.
Oni of Plagues- keep those more honorable than you away from you
Yurei- Counts as a daimyo with 2 force
Oni of Souls - If you win a war with this monster, gain a point for each Oni you have
Oni of Blood - Players with higher honor than you cannot move or summon non-monsters to this province

FALL
Oni of Hate - When this enters a province (for any reason), kill a local Bushi or Shinto from each player with higher honor
River Dragon - Counts as 5 force
Oni of Spite - *I couldn't find this one
Fire Dragon - has 3 Force both to help grant you a Province's Harvest Reward, and also in Battle. Not only that but when a Battle starts, the Fire Dragon burns the land around it, killing one figure from each enemy in the same Province.

And I have questions if anyone knows the answers: Can Jikininiki move from the reserve to a spot where an enemy dies, or does it have to be on the board? Can Sunakake Baba move units belonging to other players? It doesn't make sense otherwise. Anyone have an idea on how the Oni of Plagues could be different from the Oni of Blood?

You can read the Oni of Spite's text in their kickstarter video near the end. It lets you steal victory points from other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to add the Phoenix as well. From the kickstarter page: "The Phoenix has otherworldly powers of resurrection. Whenever it is killed, it automatically reappears in the same province and raises the honor of its clan." As for which season it belongs I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the info everyone!

After reviewing the video, I found a camera shot that included the bottom end of the oni of spite card, but it was so low resolution that all I could see for certain was that it had the sun symbol on it. Maybe that was the wrong spot, but if anyone can post the exact text from the card I'll put it up.

I forgot the pheonix!? Wowowow. My first game I will seppuku every battle out of shame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Wilkinson
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Does anyone know who chooses the character whose used for Kitsune's power? Is it you or them. Like if they had the river dragon and a Bushi, do they get 1 force or 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drgoldblum
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
In the comments Thaigo said that the Phoenix is currently planned for Autumn, but as they continue to playtest any of the monsters may be switched around to different seasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBoomPanda wrote:
In the comments Thaigo said that the Phoenix is currently planned for Autumn, but as they continue to playtest any of the monsters may be switched around to different seasons.

I thought he said Summer? hmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the quote. "Summer. Keep in mind, though, specially with the extra Monsters, we'll still be testing and tweaking them for a little while. So it's very possible some will get moved around to different Seasons."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since they released a Kami model, it is safe to say we have 6 more (Update 2 says there are ) for the next stretch goals, so I've added what I could dig up on Kami.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Does anyone know which seasons the lucky god monsters each have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Private Blinky
msg tools
Phil, in the interest of updating the monster & kami-dex (at least for now), I'm submitting changes that maybe you could update in your original post. By all accounts things may still have yet to change until everything is released, but at least we know what's confirmed for the base game. For unconfirmed reasons, the kami temple powers were shuffled around a bit.

Fujin: allows a move of 2 Units (ore 1 unit 2 spaces) belonging to the player on the Map
Raijin: allows player to Summon 1 Bushi into ANY province (regardless of Strongholds)
Ryujin: purchase an available Season Card from the tableau
Susanoo: give player VPs equal to the number of strongholds they have on the map
Tsukuyomi: player gains 2 Coins

Now, I would PRESUME that the Kami Powers abilities are still likely associated with the main game Kami abilities (eg the Kami Power for deploying 2 Bushi now belongs to Raijin as opposed to Susanoo previously), but I guess we'll have to wait for confirmation on that.

As for Monsters, here are some tweaks (courtesy of Tricil's Rising Sun Multiplayer AI thread):

Oni of Spite - when this enters a province, steal 2 VP from each player with higher honor
Oni of Souls - if you win a war token with this monster, gain 2 VP for each Oni you have
Oni of Blood - 4 force in any province where you have the lowest honour

Also, keeping in the grouping of monsters by season, I'd think it would also be great to further indicate in your post which monsters character is included come from what element (base game, monster expansion, or KSE), maybe even include the monster coin cost (once they're all known).

Thanks for considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
PrivateBlinky wrote:
Phil, in the interest of updating the monster & kami-dex (at least for now), I'm submitting changes that maybe you could update in your original post. By all accounts things may still have yet to change until everything is released, but at least we know what's confirmed for the base game. For unconfirmed reasons, the kami temple powers were shuffled around a bit.

Fujin: allows a move of 2 Units (ore 1 unit 2 spaces) belonging to the player on the Map
Raijin: allows player to Summon 1 Bushi into ANY province (regardless of Strongholds)
Ryujin: purchase an available Season Card from the tableau
Susanoo: give player VPs equal to the number of strongholds they have on the map
Tsukuyomi: player gains 2 Coins

Now, I would PRESUME that the Kami Powers abilities are still likely associated with the main game Kami abilities (eg the Kami Power for deploying 2 Bushi now belongs to Raijin as opposed to Susanoo previously), but I guess we'll have to wait for confirmation on that.

As for Monsters, here are some tweaks (courtesy of Tricil's Rising Sun Multiplayer AI thread):

Oni of Spite - when this enters a province, steal 2 VP from each player with higher honor
Oni of Souls - if you win a war token with this monster, gain 2 VP for each Oni you have
Oni of Blood - 4 force in any province where you have the lowest honour

Also, keeping in the grouping of monsters by season, I'd think it would also be great to further indicate in your post which monsters character is included come from what element (base game, monster expansion, or KSE), maybe even include the monster coin cost (once they're all known).

Thanks for considering.

I agree, this would be a great idea to help acclimate people with what has changed since the Kickstarter campaign. I can't wait to get some more information on things like the specifics of the KSE/SG monsters (rather than vague descriptions of their powers), the Kami Unbound abilities (how/if they've changed and their exact mechanics), and the Lucky Gods (specifically what season they come in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof
Germany
Hirschberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is also one monster missing completely in the first post. The autumn-monster

Earth Dragon, who has 3 Force and at the start of a battle its opponents must kill all of their figures but one of their choice.

I guess in most situations even stronger than the Fire Dragon.

He is also the only KS-exclusive autumn monster, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Earth Dragon ability is impressive. A very cool autumn monster.

Other changes...
Yurei cost reduced from 4 to 3 coins.
River Dragon cost reduced from 5 to 3 coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
skies wrote:
I forgot the pheonix!? Wowowow. My first game I will seppuku every battle out of shame

Which raises a question in itself. Does the Phoenix come back immediately or after the battle, in other words if you win Seppuku and kill the Pheonix does it come back immediately to be kidnapped or fight in the battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be logical for him to come after the battle. Resurrection takes time. Even Jesus took three days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah but that’s because he died on a Friday and figured he’d have the weekend off. Besides Monday was a good day to come back as it was a Bank Holiday and everyone would be off work and available for a party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He couldn't work as it was Easter, so he chose to wait for monday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maleficius
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Is River Dragon being produced? Haven't seen any samples of it in the KS updates and it doesn't seem to have its own section with the monster inserts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Watkins
msg tools
Scholar Maleficius wrote:
Is River Dragon being produced? Haven't seen any samples of it in the KS updates and it doesn't seem to have its own section with the monster inserts.

Of course! Its in the core game. That latest KS update doesnt show any of the core game monsters I dont think. Just shows how many awesome monsters we shall be getting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maleficius
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, found the mini in some of the gencon demo pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Zini
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which of these Kami and monsters constitute the core game or are an exclusive KS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.