Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a matter of idle speculation, I've been wondering what features Byzantine Kataphraktoi Cavalry units will have. Being both Shock and missile capable, the nearest known C&C unit (to my knowledge at least) would be Mounted Samurai Bowmen, though there are very significant differences in their tactical deployment.
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/samuraibattles/the-game/un...

MOVE 2
RANGE 3
FIRE DICE 0-3-3 (1 if moved)
CC DICE 4 (3 if moved)
IGNORE
2 sword from Circle (cc only)
1 sword from Triangle (cc only)
+1 sword from infantry (cc only)
1 flag
RETREAT 1 hex per flag, 2 honor per hex
SPECIAL
May advance and Bonus Combat

When ordered by a Cavalry Charge, a Samurai Bow Cavalry will only move 2 hexes and will not combat with 1 additional die.

I think maybe something like this, but possibly without the Cavalry Charge exclusion.

There are quite a number of possible variations here, with a Medium Cavalry basis (or also a Medium Cavalry Unit) being one. It could be that the numerus would split between heavy and light cavalry, though I think this unlikely.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Interesting speculation.

Id guess starting with cc ancients Heavy Cataphract Cavalry as the base we know it will have 4 blocks and Close combat 4 dice.

I'd expect the ignore 1 crosswords to be replaced by something similar to what you have outlined in SB.

So far just a heavy cavalry unit he ranged combat could just be 0-2-2 if staying still or 0-1-1 if moved similar to horse archers in ancients.

This would be similar to the Persian immortals who are bow armed medium troops from the Spartan expansion.

However I expect as medieval expands (later in the time line) archery to get better particularly he english/welsh long-bowmen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagorman86 wrote:

However I expect as medieval expands (later in the time line) archery to get better particularly he english/welsh long-bowmen

Kind of off topic, but in BattleLore, Longbows & Crossbows hit on Swords as well as colours.
Armoured Knights can ignore 1 Sword in melee, and dismounted Knights can ignore 1 ranged Sword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stosser
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just add a ranged weapon capability, like horse archers, to the Byzantine Cataphracts. Done. Let's not overthink this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.