Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe» Forums » General

Subject: The supreme commander vs use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
saturn s.
msg tools
mb
Has someone played both games and can comment on the combat system?
I wonder if it would be feasible to add one more corps to each use army so after the reduced army is destroyed there can still remain a corps rather than evaporating the entire army unit. The supreme commander uses a three corps system per army. I love both games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played USE yet so TSC remains my very favorite strategic ETO game. Very enjoyable. Playing the air and naval part of the game solo is a bit tricky but I make do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
Haven't played USE yet so TSC remains my very favorite strategic ETO game. Very enjoyable. Playing the air and naval part of the game solo is a bit tricky but I make do.


Supreme Commander yuk

USE
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of skipped right past both when Triumph & Tragedy came out.
I know USE is well liked, but I like that TSC can be played on a single map, which goes a long way with my limited table space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are missing out on quite a lot by not playing USE.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
saturn28 wrote:
Has someone played both games and can comment on the combat system?
I wonder if it would be feasible to add one more corps to each use army so after the reduced army is destroyed there can still remain a corps rather than evaporating the entire army unit. The supreme commander uses a three corps system per army. I love both games.


I haven't played TSC, but can comment that not eliminating a USE army would reduce the amount of breakthroughs that occur in USE. That will affect play balance as it'll require another attack to possibly eliminate the corps. Whether it will break the game or improve it (if you feel it isn't working well now), I don't know.

Sal
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had always been looking for a WWII global-style strategy game for some time and never quite felt that one existed. A couple of years ago, after first researching both TSC and USE, I purchased TSC. I devoted a lot of time understanding and playing the TSC, actually playing it a number of times. Then, for a reason that I can't recall (possibly through a subsequent review of USE) on a lark I purchased USE, with the plan that I would eventually sell one of the two games.

USE is what I kept and, after several plays, I'm very happy that I gave USE a try. TSC has some interesting aspects to the game, but it generally feels a bit too complicated to me. On the other hand, USE offers a more simplified diplomacy feature and easier to understand mechanic of battle and movement - just the right amount of detail to make it realistic while, at the same time, still allowing the player to remain focused upon the overall strategy.

It's not at all surprising to me now to see, through print and video reviews, so many 'best of WWII boardgames' including USE on their list. Note that USE: Code Blue is also popular and, for a cheaper price, provides an opportunity for players to determine if this is the game for them.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
USE: Code Blue


For those searching BGG, that would be Unconditional Surrender! Case Blue.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hepp
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
O-H!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob.Gibson wrote:
Note that USE: Code Blue is also popular and, for a cheaper price, provides an opportunity for players to determine if this is the game for them.

This is what I did. I already had USCB since I get all the C3i's and decided to play it. I liked what I saw and then P500'd the next printing of USE.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jhepp wrote:
Bob.Gibson wrote:
Note that USE: Code Blue is also popular and, for a cheaper price, provides an opportunity for players to determine if this is the game for them.

This is what I did. I already had USCB since I get all the C3i's and decided to play it. I liked what I saw and then P500'd the next printing of USE.


Thank you. I hope you enjoy USE as well.

Sal
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.