Subject: Rarely so clearly illustrated as this rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
People talk about the differences between Britain and the USA all the time.

I find that their respective interest in certain sports is probably the biggest one.

Here is the header menu of tabs available from BBC Sports (online)-- in order:

Home
Football (soccer)
Formula 1 (auto-racing)
Cricket
Rugby U (the U is for "Union")
Tennis
Golf
Athletics (Olympics/ commonwealth games/ track & field)
Cycling
All Sport

Formula 1? I'm not sure you can go that deep into ESPN to find out about that.
Here is ESPN's online line-up:

Home
NFL (American footbal)
NBA (basketball)
MLB (baseball)
NCAAM (male college sports; mostly football, basketball)
NCAAF (user fantasy female college sports leagues)
Soccer
More ESPN

The only common sport is Football/ Soccer; #1 in Britain and #6 in the US, after college sports.

Meanwhile in Canada (TSN):

Home
NHL (Hockey)
NBA
MLB
CFL (Canadian football)
NFL
Tennis
Soccer
Hockey Canada (National teams/ junior leagues/ women's league)
Curling (Men and women, national and international)
NCAA
UFC (cage fighting)
Golf
More Sports

Closer to the USA, naturally, but hockey crazy.
If Canada didn't have a team in the NBA or the MLB, I doubt that those would rank highly otherwise though. More people watch curling on a weekend than an NBA game without the Raptors or an MLB without the Blue Jays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm streaming a live (British) football game, by online text update, in League 2 play on BBC right now.
My team is up 3-0 after half-time (edit: now 4-0), which is practically unheard of in soccer. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rugby Union is an incredible sport. My favourite one by a long, long way - although I'm not into any other sports, really. I don't even watch football (soccer) when the national side are playing, for example. But I follow rugby religiously, and I've held a season ticket for my local team for a few years too.

Whilst we were still in school, my buddies and I used to pull an all-nighter to watch the Super Bowl as well for a few years which was really good fun - but I think a lot of that came from the spectacle and hanging out with friends etc.

Ice Hockey is the only sport, other than rugby, that I'd to see live - and I'd love to visit Canada some day as well - so I hope to catch a game whilst I'm visiting the country one day. Seems like a very, very fun sport to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
NCAAM stands for men's college basketball
NCAAF stands for female's college basketball

They will disappear in a month. Maybe the NHL will appear then...

Edit: commentary on the above:

The USA probably has more coverage of women's sports than anywhere else (namely basketball and soccer but also gymnastics and figure skating).

Even though fantasy leagues and college sports are huge in the USA, fantasy leagues are mainly for pro sports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
I'm streaming a live (British) football game, by online text update, in League 2 play on BBC right now.
My team is up 3-0 after half-time (edit: now 4-0), which is practically unheard of in soccer. cool

So, you're either a Pompey (Portsmouth) fan, or is it Accrington Stanley follower? Who'da thunk it. I'm a Plymouth Argyle fan; we dropped two more points tonight. I mean, those automatic promotion places are overrated, right?cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My personal list doesn't match any country! meeple

MLB
Snooker Pro Circuit
Brasil first division (football)
MLS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The wife watches
Rodeo

My daughter loves to watch PBR just to see the riders get jacked by the bulls. She's a twisted kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was going to do an Australian one but it depends on what city you live in. And even then, in the case of my home city, what part you're from (and thus what paper you read).

The national broadcaster the ABC has
Home - Just In
Cricket - Football (soccer)
AFL (Aussie rules) - Rugby League
Rugby Union - Other

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Conundrum wrote:
Rugby Union is an incredible sport. My favourite one by a long, long way - although I'm not into any other sports, really.

I am exactly the same, I couldn't give a hoot about pretty much any sport normally but when the Six Nations starts every year I turn into this TV-tied slave to the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rare clearly illustrated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmb
Well the Perth Now sports banner reads:

AFL (Australian Football League)
NRL (National Rugby League)
Football (Soccer)
Rugby
Golf
Racing
Cricket
Motor
Basketball
US Sports
More
The top 3 headlines in "More" are articles for the Commonwealth Games, netball, and surfing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation has the only truly national sports coverage in Australia, with dedicated digital radio (ABC Grandstand). It is very common to watch sport on commercial TV while listening to commentary on the ABC. So common that the TV stations vary the coverage delay so there is no easy way to get the audio in sync (Grandstand has ~2s delay, TV is 7+s).

Here's the list off the website, first to last:
Cricket (of course)
Football (local and international soccer?! WTF?)
AFL
Rugby League
Rugby Union
Other (Athletics, Basketball (Aus), Cycling, Golf, Horse Racing, Motorsport, Netball, Surfing, Swimming, Tennis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward Sexby wrote:
MABBY wrote:

So, you're either a Pompey (Portsmouth) fan, or is it Accrington Stanley follower? Who'da thunk it. I'm a Plymouth Argyle fan; we dropped two more points tonight. I mean, those automatic promotion places are overrated, right?cry

Play up Pompey!
That's now two straight games with 4 - 0 scores.
Plymouth drawing with Wycombe didn't hurt too bad. whistle
I was also enjoying watching the updates as Carlisle and Luton Town end in a scoreless draw so that neither one gained as many points from behind us, while Stevenage dropped on the table.
I couldn't believe the Accrington Stanley line. They scored their fifth goal just before the final whistle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation has the only truly national sports coverage in Australia, with dedicated digital radio (ABC Grandstand). It is very common to watch sport on commercial TV while listening to commentary on the ABC. So common that the TV stations vary the coverage delay so there is no easy way to get the audio in sync (Grandstand has ~2s delay, TV is 7+s).

Here's the list off the website, first to last:
Cricket (of course)
Football (local and international soccer?! WTF?)
AFL
Rugby League
Rugby Union
Other (Athletics, Basketball (Aus), Cycling, Golf, Horse Racing, Motorsport, Netball, Surfing, Swimming, Tennis).

I was thinking about this. Firstly on my mobile the tabs go in two columns - is this the case on the desktop version?

But as well, as the national broadcaster, the abc can't give one of AFL or Rugby League top billing when half of the population either way would have an even bigger WTF. Cricket is more ubiquitous, and in terms of playing the game, so is football. Perhaps it's also to do with what is broadcast nationally on the ABC - cricket, on radio, and football (women's and Asian cup)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
shumyum wrote:
NCAAM stands for men's college basketball
NCAAF stands for female's college basketball

They will disappear in a month. Maybe the NHL will appear then...

Edit: commentary on the above:

The USA probably has more coverage of women's sports than anywhere else (namely basketball and soccer but also gymnastics and figure skating).

Even though fantasy leagues and college sports are huge in the USA, fantasy leagues are mainly for pro sports.

NCAAF stand's for college (American) football. NCAAW is ESPN's abbreviation for women's college basketball and it appears under the ellipses/more option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula 1 is some seriously fun open wheel (and cockpit) racing. There is a similar format called Indy Car (the Indianapolis 500 being the pinnacle) here in the USA. It only takes some money to watch all you want, same as NASCAR.

(I'd rather play 'em as board games.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only person who, on first reading the OP, thought that the difference between Britain and the USA being so clearly illustrated is the Americans' tendency to abbreviate everything to initial letters, while the British still prefer to use actual words?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
Am I the only person who, on first reading the OP, thought that the difference between Britain and the USA being so clearly illustrated is the Americans' tendency to abbreviate everything to initial letters, while the British still prefer to use actual words?

Could also be, the British focus is on the sport, the American on the competition, or the top brand/competition as representative of the sport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.