Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug MacLean
United States
Lemont
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules make it clear that a grape is devalued to the next available lower icon when harvested if the crush pad icon of it's value is filled. Also, it is clear that a red or white grape can be devalued to make a wine that can be housed in a player's cellar if the player does not have the higher value cellar to house the higher value wine. However, can grapes be devalued to make blush or sparkling wine of a specific value the player wishes? For example, a player has a 3 value red grape, a 4 value red grape and a 3 value white grape. Can these grapes be devalued to make a 9 value sparkling wine? The rules imply this is not allowed but are not explicit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just the wine token you're creating that is devalued, and yes, you can do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mayes
United States
Litchfield Park
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a ridiculously quick response. Nice work Jamey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Johnson
msg tools
mb
jameystegmaier wrote:
It's just the wine token you're creating that is devalued, and yes, you can do that.

Old thread, I know, but this came up last night in my first play. I had several high value grapes, and I wanted to make sparkling wine. I decided to check the rulebook to make sure I could do that, but the rulebook actually dissuaded me from thinking it was legal. The rulebook says that the Blush or Sparkling wine you create equals the value of the grapes you used to create it. There does not seem to be a note, that I see right now, that clarifies it is actually equal or lesser if you exceed 9. At the time, it seemed to me a part of the challenge of the game, having to organize and plan your grape aging so as not to exceed the values of the wines you wanted to create.

It's pretty clear for filling a wine order that the requested wines are only a minimum value, and you can use higher value wines to fill them. Also clear that you can devalue your wine when you don't have the cellar available to house it. It was not clear, to me anyway, that you could create a Blush or Sparkling Wine knowing that your grapes did not equal the value of the wine you were creating. I'm not sure why the rule doesn't just say "equal or lesser" or something to that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob: I'm sorry that the rulebook isn't clear about that. The intended meaning is that you when you create a blush or sparkling wine for which there isn't an available spot in your cellar, you would devalue it until you find an open spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SK uD
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what we thought, "equals" seems to be pretty specific, hopefully this will be clarified in the next edition because it definitely affects strategy. So it seems that basically grapes and wine can always be arbitrarily devalued as needed, either when a spot is full, when you don't have the right cellar, when there isn't a spot high enough, when the order calls for a lower value, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SK uD
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this then begs the question, can I combine two grapes with a total value of say 8 but put a token on a 6 instead, for whatever reason? Or can I only do that if the 8 and 7 are occupied?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only do that if the 8 and 7 are occupied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme SSSSS
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Or if you can't reach them because you don't have a large cellar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
88GJS88 wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

Or if you can't reach them because you don't have a large cellar?

Correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.