Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys guys guys *clears throat* - Necromunda is back!

Clearly all my googling last night to find out if there'd been any word on a Necromunda re-release stirred Games Workshop into action, because Sam Healey talked to them today (from 40:00 onwards in video below), and they've revealed that they've got a boxed set for a spiritual successor to Necromunda coming out soon!

Shadow War: Armageddon will come with two forces and a set of plastic terrain to build multi-level walkways to battle over, and will use the Necromunda rules to create covert ops campaigns involving existing models from 17 different 40k factions.

Now for a moment I was hesitant when I heard that it wasn't going to be based around gangs, but special ops fits the vibe of Necromunda so well: small teams of warriors going into the Hives and wastes of Armageddon to undertake covert missions, and carrying their experiences and scars from mission to mission.

There might not be any ganger-style models being released (though a range of Armageddon Hive gangers isn't outside the realms of possibility), but this approach to Necromunda allows all types of 40k armies to take part in the game. And 17 factions come in the box.

Seven.

Teen.

robot

Needless to say, if they include rules for growing an insidious a heroic Genestealer Cult...starting with just a single Genestealer and some hypnotised Brood Brothers, and slowly filling the generations of hybrids by taking recruiting captives while watching your initial Genestealer grow in psychic and physical strength as their nascent Cult grows...well, I'll be happier than a heretic on Black Crusade Day.

This was last of the old-school games I was waiting for. When it's out, my wallet can finally die in peace.

[Edit: plastic terrain has arrived for the Four-armed Emperor!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
While I think this is awesome news - it's definitely not a new edition of Necromunda. This is a 40K skirmish game (if you notice, the Kill Team boxed set is no longer for sale on GW's site).

The factions included in this set are Blood Angels Scouts and Space Orks, not the houses/gangs of Necromunda. That said, I hope they support this like they have Blood Bowl and we can create/skill up our factions.

And the terrain can definitely be used for Necromunda!

I'm excited about this, but I think we'll still be waiting for a new Necromunda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Well hey! How 'bout this!

Doubt it will unseat Deadzone as my go-to skirmish game, but I'll probably give it a look. I've got enough sci fi toy soldiers lying about that a few more won't matter!

(but aside from GW, what's this got to to with Warhammer Quest?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I take it you think Deadzone is great? I've been thinking about buying it for a couple of years now - have you played Necromunda? If so, how do the two games compare?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hmm. The video you posted discusses Age of Sigmar at 40m. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
locustofdeath wrote:
While I think this is awesome news - it's definitely not a new edition of Necromunda. This is a 40K skirmish game (if you notice, the Kill Team boxed set is no longer for sale on GW's site).

The factions included in this set are Blood Angels Scouts and Space Orks, not the houses/gangs of Necromunda. That said, I hope they support this like they have Blood Bowl and we can create/skill up our factions.

And the terrain can definitely be used for Necromunda!

I'm excited about this, but I think we'll still be waiting for a new Necromunda.

Mechanically, it's Necromunda, down to the rules and campaign system - but you're right, thematically this isn't a game of gangs in the Underhive. It's the closest we're going to get though (for now), and is close enough for me.

Going out on a limb, I think it would be simple enough to port across Necromunda gangs to Shadow War by using rules for 'cult' factions, such as Chaos and Genestealer Cults (since they use a lot of low-tech and easily-sourced/stolen weaponry). If they were to release rules for PDF forces or Arbites, this could help with porting across Necromunda gangs...but then again, if they release those lists (and I hope they do), it would make sense to release a 'Gangs of Armageddon' supplement too.

(Am I right in thinking that part of Necromunda's fluff mentioned that the Great Houses were representative of Houses found on many planets?)

mattprice wrote:
Well hey! How 'bout this!

Doubt it will unseat Deadzone as my go-to skirmish game, but I'll probably give it a look. I've got enough sci fi toy soldiers lying about that a few more won't matter!

(but aside from GW, what's this got to to with Warhammer Quest?)

Nothing at all, but new GW games without a page tend to get discussed in the forum of whatever GW game is hottest at the time.

mattprice wrote:
Hmm. The video you posted discusses Age of Sigmar at 40m. Am I missing something?

Apologies - the Necromunda mentions are a few minutes into that section (46:55), but the whole interview with Sam is pretty exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
locustofdeath wrote:
I take it you think Deadzone is great? I've been thinking about buying it for a couple of years now - have you played Necromunda? If so, how do the two games compare?

I enjoyed Necromunda, and liked Deadzone v1, but v2 really shines. Fast, deadly, and very cool.

A few quick things I prefer about DZ v2: D8 vs. D6 allows for more granularity between units. That's a big plus. Strong, heavy hitter figures are awesome (and expensive) but little weaklings have their uses too. There's just much more variety in DZ.

I like activating one unit at a time. I dislike the old style I go- you go type games. Now that I've played a few games with activating only one unit before your opponent goes, it's very hard to go back.

I love the special orders. You get a few dice that can grant you a few extra cool activations or bonuses to your activation. Very cool!

I haven't played a campaign of DZ, so I can't say much about that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
There were reports yesterday that GW was going to unveil something big this week.

This qualifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
There were reports yesterday that GW was going to unveil something big this week.

This qualifies.

For real!

And a new AoS box set, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Ortiz
msg tools
Who cares, MORDHEIM IS BACK!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20NpoQtr9n8

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/15/a-new-race-de...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Ortiz
msg tools
New info

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/15/war-returns-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monly wrote:

I'm guessing Shadespire explains that Nagash-looking floor tile artwork they teased recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Monly wrote:

Although the guy who broke the Necromunda news to the Dice Tower said that he had no idea if there were any plans for a Mordheim successor, and used that as an opportunity to say that Necromunda was coming back.

So maybe Shadespire is something...fresh?

Leave my money alone, GW. It can't take any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohh. Scenery:

(This thread really needs to be over in the Necromunda forum.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not a fan of Deadzone 2.0 dropping the cards for dice so I didn't pick it up but am pretty sure this terrain and DZ 1.0 terrain will play very nicely with each other in both gaming systems.

Who knows if the rules are good enough I might drop Deadzone and just use the terrain here although I would miss the D8 of Deadzone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys: Genestealer Cults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, GW posted this list of gang types yesterday:

Skitarii Rangers
Chaos Space Marines
Cultists
Dark Eldar Wyches
Dire Avengers
Eldar Guardians
Harlequin Troupe
Grey Knights Strike Squad
Necron Immortals
Necron Warriors
Tau Empire Pathfinder Team
Tyranid Warrior Brood
Neophyte Hybrids
Scouts
Scouts with sniper rifles
Cadian Infantry Squad
Ork Boyz

And it would appear the price tag is $130. That's around the same price as Assassinorum, so looks like it will be £75.

Images courtesy of @WatchItPlayed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's one set you're definitely not getting back in the box once it's built.

$130 for that - and already having other factions sitting on a shelf painted and ready to play the game? Consider it bought by me already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locustofdeath wrote:

$130 for that - and already having other factions sitting on a shelf painted and ready to play the game? Consider it bought by me already.

Looks like it also comes with a set of the sniper scouts, which will come in handy for the extra Lost Patrol rules from White Dwarf magazine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
locustofdeath wrote:

Looks like it also comes with a set of the sniper scouts, which will come in handy for the extra Lost Patrol rules from White Dwarf magazine.

And that's what's so brilliant about what GW is doing with these games.

I was just talking about this with the owner of my flgs: I buy WHQ ST or SOHH, I can take models and play a small game of AoS. I buy AoS units, I can use them in WHQ. Bought Gorechosen? Use the models in WHQ. Shadowspyre looks like another game we'll be able to port any models we want into.

So now instead of GW being able to only be used in 40K or AoS/WHFB, we can use the same models in three games. Makes the prices on the games and models seem that much better, plus encourages buying models players might not normally buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of pre-generated characters were doing the round at the GAMA trade show...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.