Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Because of the 90+ campaigns that exist in this game, is it hard to remember plot if some time has passed between campaign? Does it not matter much? Or is story so thin that forgetting anything doesn't matter much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
The story is definitely not thin. It's the most immersive and engrossing story I've ever seen in a boardgame.
But, if you just want to play a scenario and not really care about the ongoing story, you could.

I know some people who played scenario X and said
"It was great, we followed this guy to his lair, but then he escaped through a magical portal. We're now searching for the Skull of Kenros in order to reopen the portal and find where he went because he has some item of great power which we need."

I also know other people who said:
"I got 22xp and enough gold to buy a new sword."

So for some people, the story is immersive, and for others, they dont care.

However, you are right that if you leave it long between sessions, you may forget the ongoing story, but this can be helped by someone writing a short summary of what you are doing - doesnt need to be a full diary, just a short synopsis of what you are doing.

The story is also branching, and very often you will have multiple choices of where to go next. After scenario 1, we had 2 choices, then we had 3 more - at one point we had 5 options of what to do next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I have more of a hard time remembering which story goes through which locations/scenarios. The overall story and events that are happening/have happened is significant enough that you should remember most of it. You might forget where you need to go in order to advance a particular thread though.

There are global achievements that serve as reminders as well as requirements for some scenarios. Having some of these placed on the board as a result of your choices makes remembering those particular plot points a little easier.

Overall, though, the story itself is a bit thin as the priority of the game is the gameplay. You will spend probably at least 10 times as much time in the scenario focused on the mechanics as you will listening to/reading story elements. It depends how much you care and how many gaps you are willing to use your imagination to fill whether or not the story is or becomes memorable.

The world is great, but the ratio of gameplay to theme is very very much in favor of gameplay. The character art really helps keep the feeling of the environment significant, and you get to know more about the different enemies and races as you play.

I do love the game overall though. It's very fun and slightly addictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so far in that I can really tell how immersive, big the story will end up being. On the other hand, even from what I have seen so far, I should be easy enough to get up to speed with the current story by skimming through the scenario story elements from your recent history.
Although, I recommend making a few notes which story thread your were currently following when you expect to make a longer pause - it helps for a quick restart when you don't have to look up all the currently open scenarios again just to check if they align with what you wanted to do in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
Because of the 90+ campaigns that exist in this game, is it hard to remember plot if some time has passed between campaign? Does it not matter much? Or is story so thin that forgetting anything doesn't matter much?

We're just 4 story missions in so far, once a week or so but I'll give you my experience anyways.

It's been pretty easy to keep track of!

Ask me again in a month or two.

(My understanding is that only 50 or so scenarios have to do with the main story, and due to the branching nature, you may only end up doing 30-40 of those tops.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Arlington

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Building on what asgorn said, you can always refresh yourself on the story. At a minimum, if you keep track of a timeline of scenario numbers you've completed, it makes it easy to go back and re-read the narrative in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a little list with all currently open scnearios to follow up on the back of the party sheet with a very very brief statement why this is of interest (e.g. who told us about it or what we're supposed to find there). In many cases it's really just a word or two just to have a little reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cznrhubarb wrote:
Building on what asgorn said, you can always refresh yourself on the story. At a minimum, if you keep track of a timeline of scenario numbers you've completed, it makes it easy to go back and re-read the narrative in order.

I advise doing what Kerstin/Ovis is doing. I try my best not to look at the scenario book as much as possible so that I don't discover the names of places or goal requirements of certain scenarios by accident before encountering them for the first time, so personally I don't really like flipping back through scenarios I've done to figure out where to pick up the story thread.

I have a good 20 or so scenarios done, and because of the paths we've chosen, right now there is about 8 or so scenarios that we can choose from.

When you've got that many out, the story begins to blur in regards to why you're going wherever it is you're going. The easiest way to avoid this is probably to play one story thread to completion before starting another, but we prefer to mix it up so that we can take turns working on career goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.