Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: Buying Elder Signs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, all of the expansions take away the option of buying Elder Signs. I do think the base game is not that much harder without the Signs-for-trophies option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you only allow buying one, I don't see a problem with it balance-wise. I'd hesitate to allow more than that though. My wife and I stopped allowing it at all with Unseen Forces, however, and haven't looked back.

I say if you're having fun this way - go for it. cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
Avatar
mb
If you find core set gameplay with one single investigator has an ok balance, then possibly you're not playing the optimal strategy (no disrespect meant), or you haven't played the game enough times. Which is 100% fine, and I'm absolutely happy you're enjoying the game as it is, but the game's actually breakable in many ways.

As per purchasing the Elder Signs: the problem with the theme is pretty simple. A clerk at the gift shop has the means to stop the apocalypse from coming, but would rather see the world destroyed than discounting the items he has to sell. So, the problem is not that the ES are for sale, but that people want to sell them instead of using them to save their butts.

"Hey, I need this, the life as we intend it is about to be cancelled"
"Do you have 10 trophies?"
"No, heck but Azzie is here and it's about to destroy everything, your home, your family, your everything, so gimme that friggin' sign"
"Can't do sir, I've got very specific orders, no discounts, not even in front of the apocalypse"
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only playing base game with houserules "no buying elder sign at shop" and "draw 2 mythos cards at midnight". With this rules my winrate was near ideal 50% after 60 games. So, i am the second one who agreed that you need a better strategy for you plays.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:


"Hey, I need this, the life as we intend it is about to be cancelled"
"Do you have 10 trophies?"
"No, heck but Azzie is here and it's about to destroy everything, your home, your family, your everything, so gimme that friggin' sign"
"Can't do sir, I've got very specific orders, no discounts, not even in front of the apocalypse"


OMG I about wet myself reading this!

I alaways thought what's wrong with discovering an elder sign in the curiosities shop, that's theme building right? But.. um yeah buying it seems a bit, well curious. Personally, whether it is digital or on the table top I will not buy an elder sign, even if it makes the difference between winning or losing the game. Following a lot of comments on the forums, I purchased Streets of Arkham, which negates the subject all together. I feel that expansion was the best thing they could have done for the game, I will not play any other way, unless I don't have the game with me and have to play on my tablet or phone. Now that makes me wish they would do a digital release of Streets of Arkham.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
As per purchasing the Elder Signs: the problem with the theme is pretty simple. A clerk at the gift shop has the means to stop the apocalypse from coming, but would rather see the world destroyed than discounting the items he has to sell. So, the problem is not that the ES are for sale, but that people want to sell them instead of using them to save their butts.

Maybe the clerk is hoping to use that Elder Sign to save his own butt, as a protective talisman keeping off the shoggoth from down the hall, and isn't so easy to persuade that it's needed for sealing off Cthuga and keeping him from incinerating the planet.

I think the thematic arguments against Elder Signs for sale in the gift shop apply equally to other ancient artifacts, flame-throwers, powerful magic spells, and ... well about 90% of the item cards.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
Avatar
mb
Carthoris wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
As per purchasing the Elder Signs: the problem with the theme is pretty simple. A clerk at the gift shop has the means to stop the apocalypse from coming, but would rather see the world destroyed than discounting the items he has to sell. So, the problem is not that the ES are for sale, but that people want to sell them instead of using them to save their butts.

Maybe the clerk is hoping to use that Elder Sign to save his own butt, as a protective talisman keeping off the shoggoth from down the hall, and isn't so easy to persuade that it's needed for sealing off Cthuga and keeping him from incinerating the planet.

I think the thematic arguments against Elder Signs for sale in the gift shop apply equally to other ancient artifacts, flame-throwers, powerful magic spells, and ... well about 90% of the item cards.


Fair point
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
Avatar
mb
the_demolished_man wrote:
I'm not a hardcore gamer and only play for casual fun. I play solo but that means I take two investigators and if one dies they are not replaced. That to me seems more cinematic. I have played the base game around 20 times - I tried Unseen Forces but found the Blessed/Cursed mechanic unnecessary, and Gates of Arkham was too complex, too hard and lost the claustrophobia of the base game.


If you don't replace the devoured investigator(s) then yes, you're making the game a lot harder!

I'm happy you're enjoying the game
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife will only play ES base game now and it's mostly because of being able to buy an Elder Sign. After testing ES:OotD and nearly crying every time we played it she was sold on the idea that the base game is her choice of game play for ES, LOL.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying trophies for the win was a bit anticlimactic and I won more often than failed.

If you are worried about theme, the trophies that you collected from your various encounters could be considered pieces of the whole when combined together to form an Elder Sign. Perhaps the gift shop provided the missing last piece (the irony that a cheap souvenir is a real trophy from a previous adventure or expedition) or the gift store contains books that give the investigator instructions how to combine their trophies into an elder sign.

I always imagine that the game takes place after hours and the investigator is frantically rummaging around the various areas (first aid, gift store, etc) finding whatever they need to help their survival.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.