12 Posts

Champions of Midgard» Forums » General

Subject: Are the expansions worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I have the base game but never played it yet. I heard varying reviews. Do the expansions enhance the game to any degree? I got 5 hrs left to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miha hančič
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me they do, the Dark mountains expansion adds the 5th player, this is great for our group, and the Valhalla expansion lets you reuse the fallen dice warriors. Instead of just dying in battle, they go on and fight the epic monsters in valhalla.

+ the leaders get extra special abilities.
+ all the new journey, ship merchant, destiny cards, just add more gameplay variability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game was one of my first worker placement games and still in my top 10 GOAT. It plays quickly, is easy to learn, and is a great bridge between Ameritrash and Euro. I've used it as a gateway+ and for a game night full of veterans.

In my humble opinion, the expansions are worth it. Champions of Midgard: Valhalla brings berserkers, leaders and shield warriors to the table and allows you to put your dead Vikings to good use. In addition to a 5th player, Champions of Midgard: The Dark Mountains adds more journeys, epic monsters and Archers, meaning you'll be doing even more of the adventuring that makes the game so fun.

Add to this more markets, monsters, journey cards, runes, destiny cards, burial grounds and blessings and you have a done deal.

Get it. Now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as expansions go, yes. I like the base game, but think this will add more options and ultimately make a better game with more challenge a slightly more depth...a great 'toolkit'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still stunned that they plan on delivering in June. I've been so used to Kickstarters delivering in a year or so lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 8
mbmbmbmbmb
wait …are you seriously asking the question "should I buy the expansions to a game I've never played." to a forum of people who enjoy the game enough to subscribe to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Looking for unbiased opnions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you like the game then I'd jump on board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Santos
United States
Bonner Springs
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if they've added any tie breakers in these expansions?
I've played this once (4p game) and loved it, but ended up tying with my wife, even after using the tie breakers in the rule book.
She was fine with leaving it at a tie, but I told her, "I'm sorry, do you see two thrones here? NO!" So I challenged her to a dual using the remaining warrior dice we had left at the end of the game. I had 5 dice left. She had about 40 (or maybe 11). She slaughtered me. Very humbling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hect
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's a great idea for tie breaker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowboysfan15 wrote:
Does anyone know if they've added any tie breakers in these expansions?
I've played this once (4p game) and loved it, but ended up tying with my wife, even after using the tie breakers in the rule book.
She was fine with leaving it at a tie, but I told her, "I'm sorry, do you see two thrones here? NO!" So I challenged her to a dual using the remaining warrior dice we had left at the end of the game. I had 5 dice left. She had about 40 (or maybe 11). She slaughtered me. Very humbling.

Ole and I could make up some tie breakers for you. devil

They are pretty rare with all the new stuff included though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn-Erik Egeland
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you cant have more than 8 die at one time so 40 is abit much, Call her a cheater and claim the throne for yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.