Johnnnnnn
United States
Montebello
California
flag msg tools
badge
Haunted By a Shadowy Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this game for the first time yesterday and had a blast! I'm wondering if anyone has some insight on the following...

**my apologies for not having the exact language of the manual in front of me**

As I understand it, the manual states that when when PLAYER A uses one of his heroes to kill one of PLAYER B's heroes, PLAYER A's hero gains 3 gold and PLAYER A gains 1 victory point. If PLAYER B's hero dies in some other fashion (i.e. he is killed by PLAYER A's deck hands), then all of PLAYER A's heroes gain 1 gold apiece and PLAYER A gains 1 victory point.

Does this rule mean that if PLAYER B's hero is killed by the Kraken, then all of PLAYER A's heroes gain 1 gold and PLAYER A gains 1 victory point?

Last night, my friend achieved 3 late-game victory points in this way and we both thought that it was a bit anti-climactic.

Great game, though! I can't wait to play it again once I get confirmation on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-Antoine Lelong
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say for sure but that's how we played it. I think it is written that when a heroe dies from any reason, 1 gold is given to every heroes and 1 victory point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet Zeshonski
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakaht wrote:
I can't say for sure but that's how we played it. I think it is written that when a heroe dies from any reason, 1 gold is given to every heroes and 1 victory point.

This is correct. As explained in the rulebook on page 15, under "Coins for the Taking!":

Coins for the Taking! wrote:
If a Hero is KO'd be an effect or Attack that did not originate from an enemy Hero such as Crew Attacking, a Condition, or from a Tide Card) then each enemy Hero gains 1 [coin], and their Faction is awarded 1 Victory Point.

This includes any damage inflicted by the Kraken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnnnnnn
United States
Montebello
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Viola
msg tools
This makes no sense to me! The kraken is a neutral entity! It deals damage regardless of the faction. When a hero is KO'ed by it no victory points or gold should be awarded to anyone. That's the price for messing with the kraken pool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a bit anticlimactic. But I look at it as a strategic move. I bopped him in the face, hoping to use his Kraken anger to kill off your dudes. And it worked!

#KrakenAnger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet Zeshonski
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rosario007 wrote:
This makes no sense to me! The kraken is a neutral entity! It deals damage regardless of the faction. When a hero is KO'ed by it no victory points or gold should be awarded to anyone. That's the price for messing with the kraken pool!

Think of VPs as morale, and it might make more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tutenkharnage wrote:
Rosario007 wrote:

Think of VPs as morale, and it might make more sense.

Or in the same vein, in a fight between two teams, whenever a guy in the other team dies then you are one step close to winning (1vp). Doesn't matter who killed them. They drop 3 dollars... if you killed him personally you pick up the 3 dollars... if a tree fell on him then you still take his 3 dollars, but since it was a tree you split the money btw you and your two teammates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Lopez
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Rosario007 wrote:

This was specifically changed from Season 1 to Season 2 for this reason. In Season 1, the other team got nothing when you died to the Kraken. A lot of games ended based on whoever killed the Kraken first, and there was no real reason not to use tide cards.

In Season 2, it was purposefully revamped to make the Kraken's purpose crystal clear. The more you abuse the Kraken pool, the more you're potentially screwing yourself if he comes out.

If you wanna read more on it, check out the from the kickstarter update where the game dev talks about the Kraken changes. (He also explicitly states you gain a VP for making the Kraken kill one of the opposing heroes, and celebrates this as a new viable tactic).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/rum-and-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnnnnnn
United States
Montebello
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all really helpful. Thanks, guys!

Hi Harl!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi john!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.