Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Dinosaur Island» Forums » General

Subject: Dinosaur meeples (or lack of) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Simons
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Reading page 10 of the rule book that is available on Kickstarter shows this. For the example, you use DNA to create a velociraptor in the lab. Then you place the Dinosaur you just created in its paddock, represented by a triceratops meeple. The base game only has triceratops meeples. The deluxe edition of the game has extra dinosaur meeples, but not as many dinosaurs as can be created in the game. It appears that mechanically, this doesn't have any effect on the gameplay, but from aesthetic standpoint is a concern for me. Any thoughts?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


Learning Resources Counting Dinosaurs
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a concern for me at all. I'm a Deluxe backer, but I don't need every single species represented. The wide array is already plenty (not opposed to more) but the fact that they make no mechanical difference leaves me picturing myself filling my paddocks with a variety of meeples.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Simons
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks - I'm looking for a perspective that helps me come around and overcome my concern.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kenna
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Meeple Source's next Character Meeple Kickstarter will include dinosaurs. That would be neat, as they are screen-printed, I believe.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't touched Tabletopia until the other day. I would highly recommend checking out the game there though. I played a round solo just to get a feel for the game and it really impressed me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a backer I would want the dinosaur meeples to actually mean something. As opposed to just being there for no good reason.
But that might be too much to expect from these people....
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muel Wisden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Docur Lenud Dingleberry at yoor servis!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
As a backer I would want the dinosaur meeples to actually mean something. As opposed to just being there for no good reason.
But that might be too much to expect from these people....


Their function is to help determine threat level, Easily identify how many patrons can visit that dinosaur enclosure and to help determine victory points per dinosaur at game end. Without the meeples you would have to either try to remember or make a note. So they do have a mechanical function. The fact that they look like dinosaurs though has no mechanical reason. They could well be cubes but (in my opinion) that would be nowhere near as cool.or aesthetically pleasing.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muel Wisden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Docur Lenud Dingleberry at yoor servis!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ShepRamseySubCom1991 wrote:
Thanks - I'm looking for a perspective that helps me come around and overcome my concern.


Hi Josh, Muel again here. At the moment there are 7 unlocked meeple types and (I believe) 14 dinosaur recipe types. The unlocked meeples should cover the general look of most of the dimosaur recipes. For example the t-rex meeple could also be used for the allosaurus and gigantosaurus as they all look very similar.

So I personally would say it shouldn't be an issue. There is a wide enough variety and number of meeples to cover the general body types of the dinosaurs included in the game. There is a small 2 legged meeple type, large 2 legged meeple type, long necked dino type, winged dino type etc.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muel Wisdom wrote:
corkysru wrote:
As a backer I would want the dinosaur meeples to actually mean something. As opposed to just being there for no good reason.
But that might be too much to expect from these people....


Their function is to help determine threat level, Easily identify how many patrons can visit that dinosaur enclosure and to help determine victory points per dinosaur at game end. Without the meeples you would have to either try to remember or make a note. So they do have a mechanical function. The fact that they look like dinosaurs though has no mechanical reason. They could well be cubes but (in my opinion) that would be nowhere near as cool.or aesthetically pleasing.

I meant the different meeples do mechanically different things. I guess from what you are saying they sort of do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muel Wisdom wrote:
At the moment there are 7 unlocked meeple types and (I believe) 14 dinosaur recipe types. The unlocked meeples should cover the general look of most of the dimosaur recipes. For example the t-rex meeple could also be used for the allosaurus and gigantosaurus as they all look very similar.

Only 14? That's a disappointingly small number. Where did you get that info?

Also, as far as the lack of meeple diversity, I'm actually surprised they didn't think to use the pogs (actually a high-level stretch goal) in that regard. That would definitely allow for an accurate representation of dinos in the paddocks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muel Wisden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Docur Lenud Dingleberry at yoor servis!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:

Only 14? That's a disappointingly small number. Where did you get that info?


Says 14 dino recipes on the whats in the box part on the campaign page. However 3 more have been unlocked so it's probably actually 17. Can't comment on whether it's enough or not as I haven't played it much at all player counts but I'm sure the designers have and are happy with it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Jackson
Australia
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
As crazy as I sound for this, this is actually the reason I am not currently backing this game.
If I am buying a cool looking dinosaur game (with a miniatures game pricetag) then i want it to look cool and not be held back by its components.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Simons
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SamThe2Can wrote:
As crazy as I sound for this, this is actually the reason I am not currently backing this game.
If I am buying a cool looking dinosaur game (with a miniatures game pricetag) then i want it to look cool and not be held back by its components.


I would want to see a LOAD of bits... like Caverna or something. I don't get why the game is $80 but it is cost prohibitive to make representative meeples? Yet, there are metal coins?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grimbolina
Australia
Croydon
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SamThe2Can wrote:
As crazy as I sound for this, this is actually the reason I am not currently backing this game.
If I am buying a cool looking dinosaur game (with a miniatures game pricetag) then i want it to look cool and not be held back by its components.


Hmmm. I can't think of many worker placement games where they give you custom meeples for each type of worker placement position for the sole reason of being "thematically accurate". In fact, I can't think of any.

I'm actually grateful we get a selection of cool dinosaur meeples instead of plain old cubes, seems like a win to me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Washburn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SamThe2Can wrote:
As crazy as I sound for this, this is actually the reason I am not currently backing this game.
If I am buying a cool looking dinosaur game (with a miniatures game pricetag) then i want it to look cool and not be held back by its components.

You certainly don't have to back the KS. But, I disagree that its held back by its components. The dino meeples will be cool and all, but after playing the game on Tabletopia a few times, I've realized the various tiles (~90 of them) and the coins is where it's at - from a tactile perspective. With the upgraded card stock, upgraded lab boards, upgraded tile cardboard and metal coins (deluxe), I believe this game will *feel* great!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Simons
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After watching the video overview from GAMA, this looks like it will be a lot of fun. I'm backing the deluxe bc the extra content seems worth it.. and I'll get what meeples I can
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hayward
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If worse comes to worst, you could hit up Oriental Trading for their small dinosaur toys. That'd look pretty cool!

http://m.orientaltrading.com/dino-mite-dinosaur-assortment-a...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan H
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ok those oriental tradnig dinos are killer!! I think a must have
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dennis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you'd be able to get a friggin Parasaurolophus this way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.