Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: FLGS owners and distributor issues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adventurous Moose

LOUISVILLE
KY - Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I try to support my FLGS as much as possible. I have recently been on a kick for Arkham Horror: The Card Game and all the expansions that go with it. The issue is that it seems as though Asmodee/FFG are doing very small print runs so if you miss the initial release date, you have to wait weeks/months before the next run hits the shelves. I pre-order everything but the last release was never available at the store. I understand limited supply, but when I ask the owner of my FLGS about games I have pre-ordered he says that he doesn't know what he will get until he picks the product up from his distributor. By that time it is too late to buy the product at/below MSRP from even the large online retailers.

So, my question is, is it not possible for FLGS owners to know what products they will be getting or is my FLGS owner just not taking the time to find out? If it isn't possible to know then I am curious as to how stores like CSI/CH/MM can know their pre-order limit and how a store like Team Covenant can maintain a subscription service.

Thanks!



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
suggest you check out the set of fourms over at...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/974616/boardgamegeek/boa...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adventurous Moose

LOUISVILLE
KY - Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
suggest you check out the set of fourms over at...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/974616/boardgamegeek/boa...


I find board game design interesting, but is there any thread in particular that you are talking about? I don't see much related to my topic.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackelantern wrote:
So I try to support my FLGS as much as possible. I have recently been on a kick for Arkham Horror: The Card Game and all the expansions that go with it. The issue is that it seems as though Asmodee/FFG are doing very small print runs so if you miss the initial release date, you have to wait weeks/months before the next run hits the shelves. I pre-order everything but the last release was never available at the store. I understand limited supply, but when I ask the owner of my FLGS about games I have pre-ordered he says that he doesn't know what he will get until he picks the product up from his distributor. By that time it is too late to buy the product at/below MSRP from even the large online retailers.

So, my question is, is it not possible for FLGS owners to know what products they will be getting or is my FLGS owner just not taking the time to find out? If it isn't possible to know then I am curious as to how stores like CSI/CH/MM can know their pre-order limit and how a store like Team Covenant can maintain a subscription service.

Thanks!





Generally, the store owner is going to put an order in. That person will know what they ordered. However, stock isn't guaranteed, especially in situations where an item has been printed to a degree much lower than demand. In that case, the distributor will make a decision as to who gets what.

So, as per my understanding, the owner is saying, "I know what I ordered, but that doesn't mean I know what I'll get."

(This is based on working in retail and years of reading around this site, not from first-hand information, so it could be wrong.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adventurous Moose

LOUISVILLE
KY - Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:

So, as per my understanding, the owner is saying, "I know what I ordered, but that doesn't mean I know what I'll get."


That is how it seems from my perspective as well. I just find it slightly crazy that distributors can't/won't give any information as to what they will give a store until they open the crates.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years back, I tried to support my FLGS by placing a couple orders. Each time, after several weeks, we mutually agreed that I should just go buy the game elsewhere. The owner placed the orders, but never had any idea if or when the distributor might fulfill them.

The store made almost all of its money from Magic cards. It wasn't worth hours of the owner's time and hassle to possibly make $5 (or whatever) on my sale. We agreed that it would be better for both of us for me not to try to buy more games from them (unless they happened to be in stock). I just bought more soda and frozen mini pizzas from them, and donated games to their library, instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS, being in a gaming third-world nation, is terrible at having stock or sticking things on shelves. Their website MIGHT bear some relation to stock, but search doesn't work properly, and they'll sell out before unpacking (not because it sells out quickly, but because they don't bother).

They somehow managed to have AHLCG around launch time, but didn't get Dunwich Legacy until much later (what I believe was the second printing, which FFG had already queued up when the first was shipping). Still no sign of anything else whatsoever, although it might have been in the store for one day before disappearing again.

When asking them about supply they said they also get whatever the distributor deigns to send them. This usually ends up being somewhat short of their full order. It's a lottery, and they care more about comics and toys than games anyway.

Lately their supply has been delayed to being about two months behind on LCG releases (I pretend to follow several), and the only "new" supply was leftovers of older stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.