Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played with zombivors yet, but it sure seems like scenarios would be much easier with them. Your character comes back, with more HPs, with one less action. Not really any downside to using them. Seems like they can only help, thus making the game much easier, right? Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right?

-rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you forgot that the whole concept is anathema to zombism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with them once, then never again. They do greatly reduce difficulty, and honestley my group hated them from a thematic standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombivivors were a silly idea and poorly implemented,
but were done to allow for some use of the zombie-version sculpts.
In theory, they let you play the Ultra-Red levels with a little more confidence,
but in practice? bleach.yuk

A much more interesting, thematic and flat out FUN idea for using the figures was developed by
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zombie bosses (help needed)

I'm really hoping that this concept continues to be developed over time:
there are a lot of unused sculpts yet to be 'Final=Bossified"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Work really good with the Lost Survivor rules. To add an especially tough Zombie to deal with. That's about all we use them for.

~Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't like them and came up with a totally different idea utilising the wound cards as a deck.

Get a second wound: If it's from a Zombie, flip the card, Bitten! The bitten side of the cards have different negative modifiers and a roll to beat for each following turn, rolled at the start of the turn, fail and Zturn!

The pressure is on the rest of the team. Do you risk a Zturn at a pivotal moment to achieve some objectives or end the survivors misery now. Worse still, send the survivor off to distract the horde on the understanding they end it themselves, only to have them return as a lost Zombievor, much harder to kill and likely bringing that horde right back with them, only this time much larger!

Once Bitten: flip the characters dash but don't change the mini until a Zturn. Add the 1 bitten card as 1 wound. If there were multiple Zombies (feeding frenzy) add those wounds as well. More than 5 and you'd be considered mauled to death, not much left of you to be helpful or threat as a Zombie (pretty much a head on the floor, limbs torn off, guts hanging out).

Finished off: Before turning into a zombie, 1 more wound from a survivor, including your self, in the same zone will kill you.

Once ZTurned: all slots need to be wounds to be killed. Use mini. Character is now a Lost Zombie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This mod brings a huge thematically missed opportunity into the game while still utilising the existing parts. A new level of tension and decision making that is often seen in all Zombie movies.

I always felt the wound cards were wasted, once you have a few sets, it's a deck up onto itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Refused to try It.
It's a pity for all these wasted zombivor minisdevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could still use them as regular zombies. Though it would potentially dilute the zombie pool, more zombie minis available to spawn = fewer double activation occurences. At least you'd be able to still use them in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
Don't like them and came up with a totally different idea utilising the wound cards as a deck.

Get a second wound: If it's from a Zombie, flip the card, Bitten! The bitten side of the cards have different negative modifiers and a roll to beat for each following turn, rolled at the start of the turn, fail and Zturn!.

Not sure I'm following this:
What is the die rolled against? Number of wounds?
How are you showing "flip the card, Bitten! " ?

I'm not understanding this (though it sounds great! I'd love to try it next game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
White Elk wrote:
I'm not understanding this (though it sounds great! I'd love to try it next game.)

The wound cards are made into a deck, they have 2 sides. 1 side is wound, the top side (all the same), the other side is bitten. On receiving your second wound, if from a Zombie, flip the card, this is the 'Bitten!', concealed side of the card.

On the 'Bitten!' side is a nice picture of some blood teeth and some info, the conditions you follow, each card being different.

The conditions could be
Mauled leg: -1 Action
Mauled Arm: -1 to hit
Crier Baby: +1 Noise
Screamer: +2 Noise
Rage: +1d6 in Attack

Some modifiers could effect other players in your zone. What ever we can imagine. So many possibilities here.

Each card would also have a roll to beat, minus amount of wounds, to stay unturned. Some conditions are positive depending on situation. Positive attributes should be balanced with an easier turn modifier.

With out having to print new cards or write on them, stick a little colour dot on the under side of the card and print a table to represent each colour.

Every wound after 'Bitten!' is another wound. We could make the conditions stack but it would need play testing a lot to get right.

The easiest way to play this would be to make it universal with no variables, conditions. If 'Bitten!' roll a d6 at the start of your turn, subtract amount of wounds from roll, if result of 1 or less you're a Zombie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once bitten use the Zombivour side of the Dash. Not sure if the Survivor should reset the threat level. I'm thinking keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Porter
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the original question, yes zombivors reduce the difficulty a bit.

But there are lots of optional things you can add and subtract to modify the difficulty, zombivors are just one of them and can be added to balance out other changes to raise the difficulty.

Two others that spring to mind are the companion dogs (lowers difficulty) and the zombie dogz (raises difficulty). There are also lots of options for tweaking the spawn deck.

The biggest reason to use zombivors as written (instead of the excellent suggestions above) is just to minimized the possibility of player elimination. Maybe a win with zombivors is recorded with an asterisk, but it's still nicer for someone (perhaps a younger person) to get to keep playing than to sit on the side and watch other people having fun for an hour after they are killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkanoap wrote:
(perhaps a younger person)

If the group has a younger person playing, A good mission bolt on would be... If the younger person dies, the mission is failed. Simply from not protecting them well enough.

Unless of course they've played a few games already, now they're expected to be as much a hardcore survivor as anyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Frost
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, so this today. I have a very good solution, which I detailed here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1552161/better-zombivor-rul...

Basically, being a zombivore should always be of dubious value. The object of the game is NOT to die. Having zombivores ruins the whole point of the game.

So allow them, but when they become zombivore, place a die on their card, 6 side up. Each turn roll another die. You remain in control if the number is equal or less than the one on your card. Then turn the card die down to 5. Repeat each turn, but stop turning the die down when you hit 2.

When you lose control, you become a lost zombivore, and the player may choose who to attack when there's a choice.

Now you get an undead ally whom you can never trust and can turn on you at any moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MtnFrost wrote:

Now you get an undead ally whom you can never trust and can turn on you at any moment.

Yes. I love playing with the 'infected can turn at any time' the 'undead ally whom you can never trust' as you put it. This fits perfectly with the wound card mechanic we were trying to work out. A much simpler version for people to add to games with out sabotaging their existing cards or printing new ones.

It's the only way i'll agree to play Zombivours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.