Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By Giannis Tilias
Entry for the 2017 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1698963/2017-9-card-nanogam...

2-3 players, 10-20 minutes, 9 cards, 5 dice, 9 tokens.

Pirate's always take their chances if a good chunk of loot is near.

This is a 2-3 player dice rolling, push your luck game where players will send their pirate sloops to adventures for their next loot. But they must be quick, determined and lucky to get the treasures before a rival pirate grabs it.

Components:
- 9 Cards [8 adventure cards - 1 scoring card tracker]
- 6 Tokens - Pirate ships (2 each of Red, Green, and Blue)
- 5 D6 dice
- 3 cubes - score trackers (1 red, 1 blue, 1 green)

Gameplay:
Players roll dice, send their ships on adventures, take chances and grab loot to become richer than other players.

PnP Files
Rules & Cards:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8sSkh8oEQ0GamlHYVBY...

I'd like the game to be entered in:
Best Overall Game
Best 2-player Game
Best 3 or more player Game
Best Written Rules
Best New Designer
Best Artwork

UPDATE
15/3/2017 (a)
Reduced the file sizes and added also a grayscale version of the files.

15/3/2017 (b)
updated rules to ver. 0.8

17/3/2017
Major rules update and revised to ver. 1.01

14/4/2017 (a)
Updated the rules to ver. 1.12

14/4/2017 (b)
Some changes, fixes, clarifications and adjusments in the rules. ver.1.15b available
thanks to BGGFAN124 for his spot on suggestions

14/4/2017 (c)
Included component list in the rules ver.1.16
Uploaded PDF file of the cards

15/4/2017
Some more fixes and clarification in the rules
ver.1.17 now available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Rolling Loot - 2017 9-card nanogame contest
Still looking for a couple of playtesters for Texas Tea, a Resource Management/Market Manipulation game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25290420#25290420

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Rolling Loot - 2017 9-card nanogame contest
Giannis,
I don't see the rules in the Google Drive folder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please feel free to provide any feedback. I updated and revised the rules. Rules ver. 1.10 are now available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Giannis-
I'm sorry that you haven't gotten any feedback until now; you've got some beautiful cards and a creative idea on the game. I'm not going to have a chance to get a play in before the deadline, but looked over the rules and the cards and have a few questions/comments:
1) On a practical level, do you have an idea of how to cover over the middle section of a card if that is the first loot taken?
2) The rules talk about discarding a Level 2 or 3 card when only one loot remains. Do the ships on those cards get returned to their owner?
3) In Loot phase, I'm a little confused about whether this takes place as a group or as an individual. I think it's only the active player who takes loot at the start of their turn, but it's not quite clear. Also can another (non-active) player refuse to share the loot (and keep their ship out) or if the active player takes the loot, do any ships in the space have to split the loot and go home?
4) For the Level 2 cards, the middle category says no odd dice. Does this require all 5 dice to be deployed to move there? (Perhaps a better wording then would be 5 evens or 5 odds, since technically one odd die has no evens).
5) I wonder whether you might want to seed the starting setup to ensure you don't get only cards of low or high levels. (Particularly the high ones, as in nearly all cases you can only move a single ship a single space on most of them as they require 4-5 dice per step so there aren't options for multiple moves). For example, you could start with one of each level for a 2 player game and one of each level plus one extra random card for a 3 player game.
6) For the ending, maybe it's important to clarify exhausted vs discarded (since you discard the higher cards when they have only one left rather than when exhausted). Also, though not having played, it seems that the first player is in a slightly advantageous situation in terms of the endgame, since turns won't be quite equal.
7) For the tie-breaker, I'm not clear quite what you mean by "got the loot first", how that is demarcated/remembered, and again whether this favors the first player.
8) As a minor thing, in the travel phase, you say a ship can travel many times during a round; unless my counting is off, you can only do that in a few places (level 1 cards and then a max of 2 moves) as most other tiers require 4-5 dice and hence there aren't enough left to move the other ship (or move the first ship twice).
9) It may be by design, but the rewards don't entirely scale with difficulty in achieving (odds of rolling), and there are some funny tiers that are quite different in challenge that other cards in that same level. This might make the game more interesting to have battles over certain easier/high payoff bins, but also might lead to some refusal to press the luck since the odds don't match the rewards necessarily.
Anyway, make of this read through as you want. I hope I can get a chance to play it; I'm intrigued about how some of the odds/strategies will play out.
Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boristhebad wrote:
Giannis-
I'm sorry that you haven't gotten any feedback until now; you've got some beautiful cards and a creative idea on the game. I'm not going to have a chance to get a play in before the deadline, but looked over the rules and the cards and have a few questions/comments:
1) On a practical level, do you have an idea of how to cover over the middle section of a card if that is the first loot taken?
2) The rules talk about discarding a Level 2 or 3 card when only one loot remains. Do the ships on those cards get returned to their owner?
3) In Loot phase, I'm a little confused about whether this takes place as a group or as an individual. I think it's only the active player who takes loot at the start of their turn, but it's not quite clear. Also can another (non-active) player refuse to share the loot (and keep their ship out) or if the active player takes the loot, do any ships in the space have to split the loot and go home?
4) For the Level 2 cards, the middle category says no odd dice. Does this require all 5 dice to be deployed to move there? (Perhaps a better wording then would be 5 evens or 5 odds, since technically one odd die has no evens).
5) I wonder whether you might want to seed the starting setup to ensure you don't get only cards of low or high levels. (Particularly the high ones, as in nearly all cases you can only move a single ship a single space on most of them as they require 4-5 dice per step so there aren't options for multiple moves). For example, you could start with one of each level for a 2 player game and one of each level plus one extra random card for a 3 player game.
6) For the ending, maybe it's important to clarify exhausted vs discarded (since you discard the higher cards when they have only one left rather than when exhausted). Also, though not having played, it seems that the first player is in a slightly advantageous situation in terms of the endgame, since turns won't be quite equal.
7) For the tie-breaker, I'm not clear quite what you mean by "got the loot first", how that is demarcated/remembered, and again whether this favors the first player.
8) As a minor thing, in the travel phase, you say a ship can travel many times during a round; unless my counting is off, you can only do that in a few places (level 1 cards and then a max of 2 moves) as most other tiers require 4-5 dice and hence there aren't enough left to move the other ship (or move the first ship twice).
9) It may be by design, but the rewards don't entirely scale with difficulty in achieving (odds of rolling), and there are some funny tiers that are quite different in challenge that other cards in that same level. This might make the game more interesting to have battles over certain easier/high payoff bins, but also might lead to some refusal to press the luck since the odds don't match the rewards necessarily.
Anyway, make of this read through as you want. I hope I can get a chance to play it; I'm intrigued about how some of the odds/strategies will play out.
Good luck!

Updated the rules to ver. 1.12 and i think i dealt with a lot of your questions about the rules. Thank you for your questions.

A lot more clarifications and answers will be given when i get back from work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandeminatic wrote:
Still looking for a couple of playtesters for Texas Tea, a Resource Management/Market Manipulation game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/...

Was this a thread hijack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Pandeminatic wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/...

Was this a thread hijack?

Seems that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read version 1.12 of the rules

- The rules are really clear
- The text on the cards (color version) lacks some contrast to be easier to read
- The score track is missing the "1" step. It is possible to start at 1 loot if two ships try to grab the "2" loot on a card at the same time.
- If playing with 5 active cards, we only have 3 inactive cards and cannot cover the loot taken from the 5 active cards (if only 1 loot is taken from each card). I suggest that during setup player stack a pile of coins on each loot space and take that coins as their loot. It will be easier to track en game too. Then we don't need the score track anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Turn a card diagonally and cover with the corner the middle section loot.

Quote:

This rule was removed from the game, but whenever a card must be discarded and there are ships on it the ships return to the owners.

Quote:

I cleared it now on rules that all phases are taken by the active player.
Now for the sharing part.
If the loot is the highest one at that time on the card is splitted and taken immediately.
If there is a higher step that can be accomplished the non-active player decided if he wants to take his cut from the loot.

Quote:

Clarifications have been added to the rules.

Quote:

Great idea. I changed the way the cards are dealt.

Quote:

This rule has been completely reworked.

Quote:

It is easy. Just stack the point tracker cubes on top of each other. The one below got there first.
Quote:

This is deliberately this way so you can got faster in step 2 or 3 on the lower level cards but now on Level 2 and 3 cards.
Quote:

Good luck!

It is a push your luck game that's why the cards are not all equal. Some cards may not be dealt together in the same game and also dice are not known for their perfectly balanced odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:

- The text on the cards (color version) lacks some contrast to be easier to read
- The score track is missing the "1" step. It is possible to start at 1 loot if two ships try to grab the "2" loot on a card at the same time.
- If playing with 5 active cards, we only have 3 inactive cards and cannot cover the loot taken from the 5 active cards (if only 1 loot is taken from each card). I suggest that during setup player stack a pile of coins on each loot space and take that coins as their loot. It will be easier to track en game too. Then we don't need the score track anymore

There is a restriction in the components that is why i am not using coins, jewels etc.

Nice observation for the 1 loot space.

Maybe after the contest where i should haven more freedom will rework some things.

Also rules ver. 1.15 are now available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GladiatorGr wrote:
courtjus wrote:

There is a restriction in the components that is why i am not using coins, jewels etc.

Nice observation for the 1 loot space.

Maybe after the contest where i should haven more freedom will rework some things.

Also rules ver. 1.15 are now available.

Quick suggestions:

It would be nice to have a component list within your rules!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea and I really like the cards but the game play is kind of retractive and restrictive. What I mean is, you don't feel like you are a traveling pirate when you earn booty and then "yank" your ship back to a "pool" locations. Why not create the cards so they are like islands in the ocean and you connect them by any of the four edges. This way ships can continue traveling around the seas searching for booty and deciding if the island is worth visiting or not. You could add hostile natives to the island to make it harder to get the booty.
You could create storms on certain rolls that push you off course.
You could add situations where your ship sinks or if you are on the same island as another pirate you must fight each other "roll combinations"
You could create a mystery islands card that flips over occasionally to throw pirates off.

Have fun with it but right now you are confining the routes and restricting the movement of the pirates when they should have that free and open movement feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
Cool idea and I really like the cards but the game play is kind of retractive and restrictive. What I mean is, you don't feel like you are a traveling pirate when you earn booty and then "yank" your ship back to a "pool" locations. Why not create the cards so they are like islands in the ocean and you connect them by any of the four edges. This way ships can continue traveling around the seas searching for booty and deciding if the island is worth visiting or not. You could add hostile natives to the island to make it harder to get the booty.
You could add situations where your ship sinks or if you are on the same island as another pirate you must fight each other "roll combinations"
You could create a mystery islands card that flips over occasionally to throw pirates off.

Have fun with it but right now you are confining the routes and restricting the movement of the pirates when they should have that free and open movement feel.

I had many same ideas but wanted really to make a board game about this to also feel the greatness of the ocean. The 9 cards are really keeping me restricted...

Great suggestion nonetheless... ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GladiatorGr wrote:
kingspud wrote:

I had many same ideas but wanted really to make a board game about this to also feel the greatness of the ocean. The 9 cards are really keeping me restricted...

One thing you can do to relieve space on the card from all the dice requirement statements is create a single reference card that has all the dice rolling requirements and a letter next to each one. Now when you have an island with a path to is all you have to do is put the letter on the island and the players go to the reference card to see what they have to roll. This would give you mush more space on the cards to create more islands and more paths. Plus, use small cubes as the ships so they take up less space on the card and both fit on the island. A lot of the text that is taking up most of the space on the cards is unnecessary and can be placed on a single card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingspud wrote:
GladiatorGr wrote:
kingspud wrote:

One thing you can do to relieve space on the card from all the dice requirement statements is create a single reference card that has all the dice rolling requirements and a letter next to each one. Now when you have an island with a path to is all you have to do is put the letter on the island and the players go to the reference card to see what they have to roll. This would give you mush more space on the cards to create more islands and more paths. Plus, use small cubes as the ships so they take up less space on the card and both fit on the island. A lot of the text that is taking up most of the space on the cards is unnecessary and can be placed on a single card.

Maybe all this now can be done in an upcoming game or in an other contest.
Maybe you should keep this idea for your self?
It is also my first time and i think i am going to learn a lot... ;-)
Thank you for all the suggestions, corrections and stuff.
I made more progress in 1 day than the last month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to wrap my head around this. It seems simple enough, but I don't understand where the risk is for the Push Your Luck element.

Like, is it just the possibility that if you don't get far enough on your turn somebody can pass you and take the loot you're trying for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first game, two-player solo.

A lot of confusions I had kind of disappeared once I started playing.

A few of them, cleared up afterwards. For instance, I was covering up all the scores below the ones I collected, while I can see how that probably breaks things.

Can you pull back a ship during your rolling? Part of the rules say "at any time" and part of them say "before rolling"

It feels like there should be some kind of penalty for not being able to move on your turn.

Sorry that's all a mess, my mind is kind of all a mess right now.

EDIT: Also, I think it's really fun! I'm looking forward to playing this with my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference "at any time" and "before rolling" is if you read carefully "at any time" abandon an adventure and don't get anything. The "before rolling" is actually at the looting phase (1) and you grab the loot and return the ship to your pool.

Also this is one part of the push your luck element do i grab the loot or go for the better one but the opportunity to grab the one i am on is lost until my next round where someone could come here too and i am forced to split the loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Ahlberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
The game looks really fun and im looking forward to playing it soon. A quick question. The rules says "Shuffle the Level 1 cards separately from Level 2 and Level 3 and make 2 little decks. "

But what cards are Level 1,2 and 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules section "cards" i describe the difference between the Levels.

Level 1 : cards with 0 / 2 / 3 loot
Level 2 : cards with 2 / 3 / 5 loot
Level 3 : cards with 4 / 6 / 10 loot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool! gl!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.