K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I think saying
Spoiler (click to reveal)
bear
icon is a spoiler, because the icon still looks like anything but that to me.

Anyways, we've played a few scenarios with this class (I haven't controlled it, and honestly don't know what the abilities are), but we could really use some tips. Here come the spoilers.

The biggest problem so far has been opening doors. We've had to restart because the bear charged forward and was slaughtered.
Let's say at the beginning of a round, no monsters are around. Our choices are:
-I (not the BT) move first and open the door. On the BT's turn, the bear charges in and is at the mercy of whatever is inside. A good strat here would be acting really slowly to let everything inside move before the bear, but it seems that the BT's moves are generally fast.
-BT moves first and opens the door. Bear won't move that turn. Bad part about this is that the BT will be at the front, and he's very fragile.
-BT moves first and doesn't open the door. I move second and open the door. Bear won't suicide forward, but BT will essentially waste a turn.
We've never had to be so methodical when opening doors, but maybe we just have to get used to it with this class? What is your approach?

In general, the bear seems to take a lot of punishment. It will charge toward slow moving opponents that hit like trucks, while ranged attackers pelt it from behind. Add enemies that poison into the mix and it's really difficult to mitigate damage. So let's say you have a few tanks in front of ranged attackers that poison, what would your approach be?

Lastly, any item recommendations? So far our BT bought a few potions and a weapon that inflicts immobilize. What else is ideal? Since the bear does and takes the majority of the damage and cannot use items, would money better be spent on enhancements?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Advice in spoilers.
I build the BT for disarm and heals, making sure to use the heal self command for his summon. I also put a +1 on that card.

Items I used to good effect: spoilers for prosperity 1-5 items
Invis Cloak, Comfortable Shoes(so he can keep up more easily.), stamina potion, stun powder, the item refresh necklace, and a volatile bomb.

Keep the bear alive through heals and disarms and imms and stuns. Take advantage of the fact that you can predict how the bear will move, and try to have someone who can tank some hits for the bear sometimes.

Let the BT lag behind a bit, but not so far that he can't target the bear's melee opponents.

Enemies with retaliate are a pain, that's when you need to move the bear off to the side if you can, and get it to focus on something else if possible.

I also brought two other summons
shadow wolf for a meat shield for the bear sometimes or dps, and a monolith, which takes a lot of heat off the bear.

It's a tricky class. It took a bit to learn it, but I think it's really strong you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
As always, thanks for your advice, Luke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"Command: Move" actions can be a huge help. You control these movements so you can better influence who the bear focuses on (i.e. the ranged enemies in the back).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eamon Burke
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Also, consider picking up Cloak of Invisibility to pop open doors and go invisible. It'll make you the first in the room this round, but often will leave you in the back of the room next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.