Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cmar
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just attended the Wizkids Keynote at GAMA, and there was relatively minimal STAW news. From the business side of things, they showed their usual "which of our games are what percentage of our total business" slide, and my assumption based on what they showed (so possibly inaccurate) is that STAW has slipped to 5% of their total business in 2016 from 15% in 2015. They describe it as "still a strong game for us". On that note, they took a moment to emphasize retailers getting an additional 5% off MRSP as a way to entice stores to carry the product.

It was emphasized that they were surprised at how quickly the Enterprise E repaints with the STO code "evaporated" from stores twice, and they said that they would be doing similar tie-in promotions in the future as a result - they didn't specify that these would be with future STAW ships or other Wizkids games in general, but the implication I took away from it was that they would repeat similar promotions with upcoming STAW releases.

They briefly mentioned the card packs and faction packs without any new info, and stated the card packs are on target for June 2017 and the faction packs a couple of months after that. They also had a slide that was "look at our sexy paint jobs", then moved on to other things. Overall, it was brief, but had a positive tone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
Universal Distribution's website mentions two new card packs.

The D'Kora (aka Ferengi Marauder) and Borg Octachedron (Borg Diamond)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
i just hope this is enouth so i can play events..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I'm curious what the next 3 events will be. UD has them listed, but no details are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Quote:
they said that they would be doing similar tie-in promotions in the future as a result - they didn't specify that these would be with future STAW ships or other Wizkids games in general, but the implication I took away from it was that they would repeat similar promotions with upcoming STAW releases.

God Damnit!

I still Haven't been able to find one. and if they do it in the future, that just means more ships I likely won't be able to get.

LLook, I'm all for them getting as much profit as possible, but if they aren't going to make enough to fill demand, they need to not be setting them up to go faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Norris
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Found this on Facebook and thought I'd share.

Be Well,

DrNicket aka Nick Norris
Warp Core Breach Podcast Co-host
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wartopia Wartopia
msg tools
mbmbmb
What's with; the tiny Reman model?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNicket wrote:

Be Well,

DrNicket aka Nick Norris

For me, unpainted = not interested. Of course, so long as the same ships are still offered painted, then it's fine by me if they also offer unpainted versions for the painters out there. The decal aspect is interesting, however...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wartopia wrote:
What's with; the tiny Reman model?

I would guess these are renders, rather than pictures of models. Based on the flight pegs that only go part way down, at least. (Kind of hard to say from a tiny picture, though.) Scale at that point is pretty arbitrary.

Much as I would like WK to cater to hex-map gamers like me, I don't actually expect them to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
4stephen wrote:
I totally agree with you Leo, if WK starts offering unpainted ship minis that is a sign that STAW's end is near as the company doesn't want to invest more money in their product line.

I would disagree with that, most other wargames supply their models unpainted and un-assembled. The process of assembling them, customising them and painting them is a major part of the hobby. It allows players that like to do this to become far more invested in the game (since they took a long time making their plastic space ships look awesome) and thus will stay interested longer.

It also opens up the possibility of using the models for other space combat star trek games, especially if the detail is crisper and they have decals (hopefully those water slide transfers) since it appears to be a set of ships without the cards. This would bring in another source of revenue to support STAW and allow the continuation of the painted ship packs.

I repaint everything anyway, but being able to start without that baby blue sludge they used to cover all the fed ships in would really help limit the loss of detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cmar
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNicket wrote:

Be Well,

DrNicket aka Nick Norris

Thanks for finding that, Nick. That slide was from their very brief part of a multi-company presentation at dinner last night. They did say the minis could be attached to STAW bases. I have conflicted feelings about this in terms of game future versus perhaps this could be a source of ships for card packs if one doesn't already own the models...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams
msg tools
4stephen wrote:
Typheron wrote:
I would disagree with that, most other wargames supply their models unpainted and un-assembled. The process of assembling them, customising them and painting them is a major part of the hobby. It allows players that like to do this to become far more invested in the game (since they took a long time making their plastic space ships look awesome) and thus will stay interested longer.

It also opens up the possibility of using the models for other space combat star trek games, especially if the detail is crisper and they have decals (hopefully those water slide transfers) since it appears to be a set of ships without the cards. This would bring in another source of revenue to support STAW and allow the continuation of the painted ship packs.

I repaint everything anyway, but being able to start without that baby blue sludge they used to cover all the fed ships in would really help limit the loss of detail.

Well said sir!

Be that as it may my observation is that many of the younger players (who make up the bulk of the market purchases I suspect) won't want to spend the time painting, they want minis ready to play out of the box. I doubt that unpainted STAW minis will have enough drawing power to keep the game going.

All we need to do is look at FFG's X-Wing product series, STAW's sister product, and how it has dominated the minis market share.

It's not just younger players that would balk at having to spend time, and a lot of money as the paints and supplies aren't cheap, on what's ultimately a casual game. If they went this route, it would be the last nail in the coffin for the few players I know who are still in the game.

I like Star Trek and Attack Wing has been a fun game, but I'm not willing to spend war game time and money on it. If they end up going this route for their main product line (i.e. Doing this as a result of not having to provide ship models with the card only packs) it'll put off most casual players and likely deal the coup de grace to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I feel like either the prepainted minis are good enough to use without misgivings, OR I don't care how they're painted since I'm going to repaint them.

The XWing stuff is more than good enough. The STAW stuff is not in my opinion. A few ships looks good (Romulan prototype or the Reman warbird) but often they're pretty awful. I'm not sure going from STAW's usual quality to no paint is really a step down.

I will say they have gotten a little better over time but they're still a long way from good IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Griffinman01 wrote:
4stephen wrote:
Typheron wrote:

Well said sir!

Be that as it may my observation is that many of the younger players (who make up the bulk of the market purchases I suspect) won't want to spend the time painting, they want minis ready to play out of the box. I doubt that unpainted STAW minis will have enough drawing power to keep the game going.

All we need to do is look at FFG's X-Wing product series, STAW's sister product, and how it has dominated the minis market share.

It's not just younger players that would balk at having to spend time, and a lot of money as the paints and supplies aren't cheap, on what's ultimately a casual game. If they went this route, it would be the last nail in the coffin for the few players I know who are still in the game.

I like Star Trek and Attack Wing has been a fun game, but I'm not willing to spend war game time and money on it. If they end up going this route for their main product line (i.e. Doing this as a result of not having to provide ship models with the card only packs) it'll put off most casual players and likely deal the coup de grace to the game.

Personally, I've reached the point where I don't even really want to spend the time to organize the cards. Taking the time to paint the ships would just mean I play with unpainted, or blackwashed ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracomax wrote:

Personally, I've reached the point where I don't even really want to spend the time to organize the cards. Taking the time to paint the ships would just mean I play with unpainted, or blackwashed ships.

I understand that viewpoint, but sitting there with some music playing painting ships is kind of restful and peaceful. Plus I like seeing the painted ships on the board. To me it's part of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I understand that viewpoint, but sitting there with some music playing painting ships is kind of restful and peaceful. Plus I like seeing the painted ships on the board. To me it's part of the fun.

Can't argue with that, having a really nice looking ship collection with some quality scenery does enhance the experience considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Can't argue with that, having a really nice looking ship collection with some quality scenery does enhance the experience considerably.

I like that look. I didn't want to paint over the assimilated galaxy, I just tried to enhance it. I was more elaborate of the other assimilated ships, like you though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wouldn't mind if they came unpainted or just primed.

Click for a bigger image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ray
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
With the way Wizkids has treated this game over the last year I'm not even surprised by 2/3 decline. Card packs and unpainted models is something you do at the height of a games popularity, not offer up as something in lieu of regular support. Each of these new minimal effort/minimal investment announcements underscores the lack of enthusiasm Wizkids has for this IP and smacks of fulfilling contractual obligations with manufacturers, printers or the licensor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracomax wrote:
Quote:
they said that they would be doing similar tie-in promotions in the future as a result - they didn't specify that these would be with future STAW ships or other Wizkids games in general, but the implication I took away from it was that they would repeat similar promotions with upcoming STAW releases.

God Damnit!

I still Haven't been able to find one. and if they do it in the future, that just means more ships I likely won't be able to get.

LLook, I'm all for them getting as much profit as possible, but if they aren't going to make enough to fill demand, they need to not be setting them up to go faster.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...?

Perhaps keep tabs on this seller's inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Autarch wrote:
With the way Wizkids has treated this game over the last year I'm not even surprised by 2/3 decline. Card packs and unpainted models is something you do at the height of a games popularity, not offer up as something in lieu of regular support. Each of these new minimal effort/minimal investment announcements underscores the lack of enthusiasm Wizkids has for this IP and smacks of fulfilling contractual obligations with manufacturers, printers or the licensor.

I really think they could easily get the game going again if the Starter box used the repaints and was more eye catching like this below.

I whipped that up in a few min and threw a Star Trek 50 year badge on it because why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:
I whipped that up in a few min and threw a Star Trek 50 year badge on it because why not?

Nice, that does make it look a lot better, the metallic ships draw the eye well. I hope the upcoming ship packs have this kind of a look to them.

Just for fun, here is the starter set I gave a buddy of mine as a birthday present:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
EduSun Trebor wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Quote:

God Damnit!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...?

Perhaps keep tabs on this seller's inventory.

The link just takes me to Ebay, and I am not paying 30+SHipping for the ship(let alone the 60+ I see it going for on ebay. I can only hope it comes down, or I can find it at a reasonable price somewhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4stephen wrote:
Be that as it may my observation is that many of the younger players (who make up the bulk of the market purchases I suspect) won't want to spend the time painting, they want minis ready to play out of the box.

Well, thanks, it's been a while since anyone called me a younger anything.

At least this isn't historicals, though. In science fiction, no one complains about the color schemes we use...

Typheron wrote:

shake
Dammit Jim, I'm a gamer, not an historian.

On a serious note, I've got plenty of unpainted spaceship minis in my basement, if I ever get the urge to paint again. So while I'm glad they're making these models available for those that want them, I'll be sticking to the prepaints myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:
DrNicket wrote:

Be Well,

DrNicket aka Nick Norris

Has no one else noticed the Deep Cuts logo in the upper right?

http://wizkids.com/deep-cuts-unpainted/

Looks like they will be a part of Wizkids' new unpainted mini line and come with bonus STAW pegs, bases, and decals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.