Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Chappell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I are currently very much enjoying learning to play HITS using the "super" Vassal module. Here are some questions that came up in our current Vassal game. Any help to resolve them would be appreciated!

Rebellion Event
-------------------
We uncovered two questions with this event:
1. What happens to the location card? Is it supposed to go the owning player's discard pile or back to the empire deck (either initially owned or neutral)?
2. What is the supply status of a location removed by this event (either initially owned or neutral)? In our Vassal game neutral location Olbia was drawn by Carthage for this event and the Carthage cube was manually removed (right mouse click & delete). The location card was immediately marked by the Vassal module with a red OOS indicating it was out of supply even though Corsica-Sardinia was in Carthage supply. Why it was marked OOS? We felt that Olbia was not owned by Carthage any more since, according to Rule 3.5, Olbia was no longer under Carthage control because there was no cube there. We put it back into the neutral empire deck but the OSS tag still stayed on the Olbia location card until Carthage re-settled Olbia.

Magistrate Card (or Senatorial Support) - draw 2 or 3 cards
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If the Carthage player plays one these cards as his first action and the drawing of cards causes his deck to be empty, it invokes the end of the game turn. Can the Carthage player still perform his second action before the Campaign card takes effect? Or when the Campaign card is drawn does it take effect immediately and the Carthage player loses his second action since the next player action after resolving the end of the game turn is by the Roman player?

Political Infighting Event:
-------------------------------
The card reads, "You may only take 1 action this round. You cannot take free actions on your next round." The "this" reference didn't make sense to us since the event occurs occurs in the middle of the turn end sequence. Would the intent of this card still be correct if it said the following, "On your next round you may only take 1 action and cannot take free actions."?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryChappell wrote:
My friend and I are currently very much enjoying learning to play HITS using the "super" Vassal module. Here are some questions that came up in our current Vassal game. Any help to resolve them would be appreciated!

Rebellion Event
-------------------
We uncovered two questions with this event:
1. What happens to the location card? Is it supposed to go the owning player's discard pile or back to the empire deck (either initially owned or neutral)?
2. What is the supply status of a location removed by this event (either initially owned or neutral)? In our Vassal game neutral location Olbia was drawn by Carthage for this event and the Carthage cube was manually removed (right mouse click & delete). The location card was immediately marked by the Vassal module with a red OOS indicating it was out of supply even though Corsica-Sardinia was in Carthage supply. Why it was marked OOS? We felt that Olbia was not owned by Carthage any more since, according to Rule 3.5, Olbia was no longer under Carthage control because there was no cube there. We put it back into the neutral empire deck but the OSS tag still stayed on the Olbia location card until Carthage re-settled Olbia.

1. The location card, along with any other empire cards you discarded before getting to that location card, remain in your discard deck. That location card is "dead" when it cycles back into your hand, unless you have re-settled the location. If the card is dead in your hand (still no cube in the location), all you can do with it is send it the empire deck or discard it. You cannot use it for any icon functions.

2. A supplied location has a) a cube or disc on it and b) can trace supply to any supply source. Any card without a cube is automatically marked "OOS" because that location is out of supply. That is a reminder that if the card is in your hand, it is dead. If on Sicily, Italy, or Africa, you can still trace supply THROUGH an empty space.

The OOS was put on the card because Dan and I were finding that we were forgetting raided locations and using the cards. If we were having problems remembering it, how would others? That's when I came up with the OOS idea. Likewise, you cannot use a battle location card. You will notice that the corresponding card says, "Battle in Progress" across it. Both are reminders that you cannot use the card.

Quote:

Magistrate Card (or Senatorial Support) - draw 2 or 3 cards
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If the Carthage player plays one these cards as his first action and the drawing of cards causes his deck to be empty, it invokes the end of the game turn. Can the Carthage player still perform his second action before the Campaign card takes effect? Or when the Campaign card is drawn does it take effect immediately and the Carthage player loses his second action since the next player action after resolving the end of the game turn is by the Roman player?

Finish your Carthaginian actions, then perform the campaign sequence. Carthage does not get screwed.

Quote:

Political Infighting Event:
-------------------------------
The card reads, "You may only take 1 action this round. You cannot take free actions on your next round." The "this" reference didn't make sense to us since the event occurs occurs in the middle of the turn end sequence. Would the intent of this card still be correct if it said the following, "On your next round you may only take 1 action and cannot take free actions."?

Thanks!

Yes, on your next round, you get one action only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Chappell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Judd, it all becomes clear now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you got this cleared up. I also just wanted to say that some of this is covered in the companion guide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the event deck auto shuffle then after hitting end turn? I got teh same card in my recent solo game and I put the rebellion card in discard slot then right clicked re-shuffle event deck. When I hit end turn I didn't see any dialogue saying it shuffled event deck again but I don't think all the inner workings of the automation are displayed in the dialogue anyways right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryChappell wrote:
Thanks Judd, it all becomes clear now!

The other thing to remember is that once the campaign card comes up, you don't get to keep drawing for senate or magistrate...you are done drawing unless of course you are below hand limit in which case the campaign card says to draw back up to hand limit. I ran into this with Carthage where I drew Senatorial Support with only 2 cards left in my draw deck and i didn't want to worry about losing Senatorial Support to random discard in the event but if I used it then and there, I would only get to draw 1 card and the 2nd would be the campaign card which would leave me with 5 cards in my hand (campaign card off to side) and therefore I would be done. I ended up holding on to it and got lucky when the event hit my opponent instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.