Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Strategy to easily beat level 2+ antelope rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to give this a try yet since our current campaign has spidicules... But I wanted to post this up and get some feedback anyway. How I imagine it playing out feels like it could be used to trap, bait and hunt a fast moving and crazed animal like the antelope which is cool!

You need two survivors with rawhide (and potentially reach weapons but not necessary) and two survivors with bows. One or both of the bows being FK bow is ideal, and stack their luck with lucky charms etc.

On opposite edges of the board (where you start) pair an archer and a rawhide user. The role of the rawhide survivors is to use the headband and predict/control where the antelope is moving. Alternate which one is being targeted and alternate which one is in line (probably with dash) for his trait that bolts after his AI card. The goal is to keep the antelope running back and forth but never quite reaching anyone to attack. A second role for these guys is to collect plants when it is safe, or put in a stray hit and run attack.

The bow guys... They are the ones that do damage. Rawhide will lead the antelope to run into range for a bow, it can then fire off a shot (or two with surge) and look for crits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
Sounds pretty solid. I was lucky to have snagged the Death Mask from the masked salesman hunt event and I'm rocking 6+ crits. I was thinking of hunting the Antelope soon and will give this a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe everyone sets up on one edge. I have to check to confirm this when I next have the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Italics wrote:
I believe everyone sets up on one edge. I have to check to confirm this when I next have the rulebook.

"Place survivors along either short edge."

That "either" can imply the ability to separate the survivors. Interesting strategy, though, by far my favorite is still:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
Yes, survivors can start on either edge, so you are already set up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Istvan Bertyak
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bows can't use surge as they are cumbersome if I remember well. Also you diabolic makes harder to predict it's movement...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
Parduckoponya wrote:
Bows can't use surge as they are cumbersome if I remember well. Also you diabolic makes harder to predict it's movement...

Yes, you would have to use surge and dash to shoot twice in one round. Or better yet, just grind white lion until you get the frenzy drink. This works very well with the new 1.5 cat gut bow. Opting for one less die to get the +2 accuracy, and the frenzy giving you that +1 extra die to do this with is really nice.

But, now that I think about it, you can't do that with surge and dash, cause they have to be used immediately. Cumbersome has you spending move and action simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
spectrehorseman wrote:
Parduckoponya wrote:

Yes, you would have to use surge and dash to shoot twice in one round. Or better yet, just grind white lion until you get the frenzy drink. This works very well with the new 1.5 cat gut bow. Opting for one less die to get the +2 accuracy, and the frenzy giving you that +1 extra die to do this with is really nice.

Yeah, just remember that you can't use Surge AND Dash on the same action to activate a Cumbersome Bow, because Surge and Dash give you movement or activation that should be used right away.

You can, however, move normally, use your activation PLUS Dash to fire a Cumbersome bow.

Similarly, you can activate a Cat's Eye Circlet (for example), then Surge and use your normal movement to do the same.

(So, I suppose, you can still use the bow twice by alternating those, but only in that case)

On a separate note, Vespertine Bow is not Cumbersome, and Bow Masters ignore Cumbersome on bows.

EDIT: specified that wasn't correcting, only punctualizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Parduckoponya wrote:

Thats why I say lean towards Flower Knight bow because no cumbersome. But as mentioned now, you can shoot twice if you do a move + survival, then your action + survival.

I actually think diabolical makes it easier to control. With the headband you know who it is going to move towards with AI, you can predict exactly which square it will land on. Diabolical will move towards any survivor who is along the line of the antelope. It is a simple move to make sure the rawhide survivor who isn't being targeted by the AI card is in the same line as where the antelope will be so it moves back in the opposite direction and into the middle of the board. Sometimes a dash might be needed to make sure that the further away rawhide survivor is in the same line, sometimes not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raising Spirit
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use surge and Your normal movement to shoot. then you can use dash and your normal action to shoot again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
kezkoal wrote:
You can use surge and Your normal movement to shoot. then you can use dash and your normal action to shoot again

True. Usually not desirable, but true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.