United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb

In my solo game, due to various calamities occurring to the Alliance, France had enough power that they were able to attack into Spain in strong force, with two separate armies. I realized the danger to Madrid, and started sending forces to Spain - even though they would be sorely missed from the areas I was stripping them from.

But - the sieges the French were conducting went incredibly well for them, and the Spanish frontier defenses were breached very quickly, and a French army got to Madrid, and defeated the weak Spanish army there, before the Alliance troops could get there. The French then converted it to Bourbon controlled.

Thats 10 VPs!

That was enough to trigger auto-win for the Bourbons.

It seems that the Alliance player really needs to start sending some forces to Spain at the start. The Spanish defenses and meager troops cannot stand up to a determined French assault. There are Spanish fortresses near the border with France, but behind them - just open country. A yellow brick road to Madrid.

A good Alliance commander is also sorely needed in Spain.

It'll hurt to have to divert troops to Spain, when the Netherlands and Austria is under pressure. But I think it has to be done. And, if the French don't push into Spain - then the Alliance troops there can then be a threat to France.

--------

a few questions:

The resource points the Bourbon and Alliance gets each turn - is that set at 3 and 6 as "base" levels - which is then modifiable by events, actions on the map? The rules say they "start with" - but it must mean they "start with a base..every turn"?

And the wealthy tokens/spaces - does the Bourbon player benefit from them only, or does the Alliance player get the benefit too? If a wealthy space is taken by the Bourbon player, it has no effect on the Alliance RP levels?
Rule 2.1.5 states - Wealthy spaces
increase Bourbon resource points (12.3.1) during the NY scenario.

Doesn't mention Alliance resource points.

And the setup for the Nine Years War doesn't mention placing the wealthy markers on London and Munich, although it is stated in the rules. So I would assume the Jacobite control of London (a wealthy space for the Nine Years scenario) is what gives the Bourbon player a +1 RP to their base 3 RP, which is why they start at 4?

And the "Marlborough Roll" - its only mentioned in one place, the Sequence of Play. I would assume that roll is made only once, after the Glorious Revolution? (thats the way I played it).

The Glorious Revolution section doesn't mention the Marlborough Roll. The Extended Example of Play has the Glorious Revolution take place, but doesn't mention the Marlborough Roll in the Winter Phase.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick with Spain is that Madrid is also about the only space worth VPs there. Getting close to Madrid but not close enough is not good enough. It allows for an early win, so the wise Alliance player invests some resources /corps/... there. OTOH, later in the game, when the Bourbon side starts to get thinned due to the resource discrepancy, they hardly have the power to hang on to any Spanish conquests made early. The long game favours the Alliance, France should look for an early knock-out blow (or somehow win the war of attrition).

It is indeed 3 and 6 RPs per turn (modified by events & rules as indicated). the MARKERS start on those positions, to be used each turn.

Only the Bourbon player gets the wealthy bonus, it is "calculated" in the Alliance resource points (although those do not get reduced when they lose wealthy spaces).

W.r.t. London - yes. I should check the setup again to see if the Wealthy spaces are not mentioned.

The Marlborough roll is made every turn after the Glorious Revolution begins, until eventually he falls out of favour. There is no Marlborough roll in the Winter Phase, only at the beginning of each turn after the Glorious Revolution was executed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cisco Serret
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
OverText
badge
WOOF!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I guess with the thing with Marlborough is - once you get him as a leader for the Alliance - use him as soon and often as you can - cause he probably won't be around for long!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.