Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Horton
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"This is a new game, set in the Mortal Realms during the Age of Sigmar. It has been designed specifically for competitive, organised play, to support our growing community of gamers out there. For the moment, pretty much all we have in terms of detail is the cryptic video above, but you’ll be hearing much more about this new game, and seeing some of the new miniatures, very soon…"

There is an intro video that doesn't show much posted at the bottom of article:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/15/a-new-race-de...

I think this may turn out to be the undead expansion that we have heard rumors of for a while. Obviously, it doesn't look like it is part of the Warhammer Quest line but something new entirely. we will see...

There is a ton of new stuff coming from GW it seems and the new dwarves look awesome to me as well. My wallet just screamed and ran out of the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Warhammer Underworlds" branding is the part that intrigues me the most. Quickly followed by the "Organized Play" bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horton
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now have a strong suspicion that this teaser image we have all been speculating on is from Shadesprire:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/08/rumour-engine...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horton
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrunkDwarves wrote:
The "Warhammer Underworlds" branding is the part that intrigues me the most. Quickly followed by the "Organized Play" bit.

Yes, it is definitely something new and organized play indicates that GW plans to support it long term. My wildest dream is that this is some kind of Mordheim redo but I am intrigued either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J O
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb

I wish it was the Undead expansion we've been asking for ... However, I strongly doubt this is it. If it was an expansion in the existing line we'd probably see Warhammer Quest branding as before.

Given GW introduced a GM with SOH who knows. They could easily keep expanding on existing rules and game play in future titles. Very intrigued regarding what this could be and can't wait to hear more about Warhammer Underworld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
ChildeRoland wrote:
There is a ton of new stuff coming from GW it seems and the new dwarves look awesome to me as well. My wallet just screamed and ran out of the room.

You're right about those Dwarves - I've never found Dwarves to be that interesting but damn, those new guys look awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
This is almost certainly related to the teaser artwork we saw. Which puts me in a half and half kind of mood. Would have loved more Quest, but still excited to see what they have planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Let me preface this by saying I REALLY like those models - but that's about as 40K as you get! My first thought was "these Squats are pretty BA!"

I look forward to the WHQ rules for these guys...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking some more, I do think this ties to the leaked image of the undead skull floor. My theory is that image is a vinyl map (like the one in the new small AoS starter box) for use in Organized Play. OP will be scenario driven with small skirmish sized battles and the scenario will be very closely tied to the images on the map.

I'm just trying to think about what Organized Play would look like from Games Workshop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrunkDwarves wrote:
Thinking some more, I do think this ties to the leaked image of the undead skull floor. My theory is that image is a vinyl map (like the one in the new small AoS starter box) for use in Organized Play. OP will be scenario driven with small skirmish sized battles and the scenario will be very closely tied to the images on the map.

I'm just trying to think about what Organized Play would look like from Games Workshop.

And this would likely be some terrain for it:

(Personally, I have no interest in any kind of organised play. It's really not my scene; but I'm still very interested to know what they have up their sleeve for this one.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well not much of an announcement - just a title really. I am not looking for competitive game either and just hope it doesn't stop them producing quest expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
For those thinking it has somethign to do with Death and the previous teaser image - doesn't look like it at all from this clearer image:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the new 40k skirmish with 3D terrain based on Necromunda looks more interesting.

Mordheim was always the poor cousin of Necromunda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better view of the pic from

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/17/more-news-fro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's weird, I'm not a big 40K fan and love the AOS setting. But the more I see about 40K Shadow War: Armageddon the more I really am excited for that (even if it's just to steal the terrain for AOS). And the more I hear about Shadespire the more I'm kinda "meh" after being initially REAL excited.

I think people got my hopes up too much with the Mordheim reboot speculation.

AOS arena combat sounds ok, but it's kind of one-note, and we do already have Gorechosen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
It's weird, I'm not a big 40K fan and love the AOS setting. But the more I see about 40K Shadow War: Armageddon the more I really am excited for that (even if it's just to steal the terrain for AOS). And the more I hear about Shadespire the more I'm kinda "meh" after being initially REAL excited.

I think people got my hopes up too much with the Mordheim reboot speculation.

AOS arena combat sounds ok, but it's kind of one-note, and we do already have Gorechosen.

It depends, I guess.

They said this was specifically designed with organised play in mind, and that's of no interest to me; but I'm keen to know more, especially as Gorechosen was a massive hit for my group. It appears to be team-based (rather than Gorechosen's one-on-one(-on-one-on-one) combat, so it should provide a different experience.

If there are configurable arenas, that would make it more interesting (especially if they use tiles that are compatible with Warhammer Quest).

Not sure why so many people immediately jumped to Mordheim conclusions based only on the name. Just some wishful thinking, I guess.

Edit: Just noticed the "core set" logo in the bottom right. That's interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a suspicion it was not the second coming of Mordheim.

Looks like it is a larger version of Gorechosen.

Looks like a pass to me.

And that cover artwork.....yikes. Looks like the Sigmarine is fighting dockworkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

And that cover artwork.....yikes. Looks like the Sigmarine is fighting dockworkers.

That cover looks terrible!

Still, curious to hear more about this.
Either a rebooted Mordheim or an expanded Gorechosen sounds fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew mclaughlin
United States
Kingston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
So when "organized" and "competitive" are used to describe Shadespire, does anyone think/hope that means league play, like a Blood Bowl-type of thing?

I enjoy Blood Bowl's league play, I think it actually makes the game better, and would be interested in a skirmish game that allows for the same experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Appereantly I am the only one on earth who do not get the term: organized play. So would anyone be kind enough to explain what organized play means in gaming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Liguori
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It means store run tournaments. Usually tied with with regional tournaments and maybe worlds at major conventions. Think magic the gathering and X-Wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Cale
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Or like the D&D Encounters program. So not always tournanents, though presumably so in this case. In addition there tends to be a heavy element of storyline involved so that it's more than just a competition. Often the rewards are additional rare game content, such as special characters or cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't so much tournaments as regular events to drive sales.

Usually accompanied by new releases and even totally new, exclusive content and little bonus items.

In other words, a reason to go play at the local store besides just playing.

Like FFG does with Xwing -- some tokens and alt art cards. Or the special ships you get for Star Trek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, a Gorechosen spin-off with a team of characters that gain experience, skills and penalties over time (like a small Blood Bowl team...only with more blood, and less bowl) sounds excellent.

The "Underworld" of the series title made me think...if this is linked to the Realm of Death 'floor tile' GW previewed recently, maybe the premise of the game is that it's set in the Realm of Death, where Nagash is forcing the souls of the dead to fight? (Possibly with resurrection as a prize for the eventual champions.) That would provide a neat fluff explanation for why these groups of mortal enemies are fighting in arenas of all places, and would also allow for a campaign system to work in a game which is going to involve a lot of deaths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breothain wrote:
To be honest, a Gorechosen spin-off with a team of characters that gain experience, skills and penalties over time (like a small Blood Bowl team...only with more blood, and less bowl) sounds excellent.

The "Underworld" of the series title made me think...if this is linked to the Realm of Death 'floor tile' GW previewed recently, maybe the premise of the game is that it's set in the Realm of Death, where Nagash is forcing the souls of the dead to fight? (Possibly with resurrection as a prize for the eventual champions.) That would provide a neat fluff explanation for why these groups of mortal enemies are fighting in arenas of all places, and would also allow for a campaign system to work in a game which is going to involve a lot of deaths.

The souls of Sigmarines cannot be taken by Death or Chaos. That was part of their re-forging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.