Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Slade
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question. Let's say I've already stolen the key from the library of the elders. Do I have to buy something from the marketplace? Let's say I'm saving up for the map of Enin. The rules day that "When in town you may choose either to attempt to steal the key OR buy one item from the market..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd would of course have the official ruling, but I would think (and if my memory serves me correctly as to how I played this situation) you forfeit your action on that turn. But again, that is how I played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the key word here is 'may' in that you can choose to steal a key or buy an item but you cannot do both on a turn.

So no you do not have to buy something if you do not want to, you just can't steal the key AND buy something during the same turn's visit there

Just see the sights. Scott is right in that this amounts to forfeiting a turn because you are doing neither of the actions but you are never forced to buy something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Slade
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts, Scott & the clarification, Todd. This is actually how I played it. I guess I just second guessed my interpretation of the rule because of the "or" being capitalized. I was thinking it might've that on your quest phase, you may either attempt to steal the key or buy Anthe market. The correct way makes more sense thematically, too. You're just "window shopping" at the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.