Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in our game tonight. A character with Assassination was the lowest strength at Location 7, and would have been removed from the game. So the player chose to Assassinate his own character and remove them from the board rather than be thrown from the cliffs and removed from the game. Nothing in the rules that I could find states that special abilities have to target another character, only that it has to target a character. It seemed a bit game-y, but I couldn't find anything preventing it. Was this a legal play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Orey
Portugal
Cascais
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah... that’s a good one meeplemeeplemeeple

Of course when we created the rules, the idea is to use the Assassin ability against another character (from another player). And that is the spirit of the rule...

...but you are correct. There is nothing explicit in the rules
that prevents a player to use the Assassin ability against itself.

Although is a very rare and bizarre situation.

In pure legal point of view, yes, you can use that ability that way.
In a thematic point of view , well... Let’s say you are a spy who prefer to die instead of benefit the enemy. You are a tough spy :-)arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gil orey wrote:
Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah... that’s a good one :meeple::meeple::meeple:

Of course when we created the rules, the idea is to use the Assassin ability against another character (from another player). And that is the spirit of the rule...

...but you are correct. There is nothing explicit in the rules
that prevents a player to use the Assassin ability against itself.

Although is a very rare and bizarre situation.

In pure legal point of view, yes, you can use that ability that way.
In a thematic point of view , well... Let’s say you are a spy who prefer to die instead of benefit the enemy. You are a tough spy :-):arrrh:

Gil, makes me think of the strawman play from Pax Porfiriana.

"I have nobly freed all of you slaves from the clutches of this evil plantation."

"Um, wait. Don't you OWN this plantation?"

"Er..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:
This came up in our game tonight. A character with Assassination was the lowest strength at Location 7, and would have been removed from the game. So the player chose to Assassinate his own character and remove them from the board rather than be thrown from the cliffs and removed from the game. Nothing in the rules that I could find states that special abilities have to target another character, only that it has to target a character. It seemed a bit game-y, but I couldn't find anything preventing it. Was this a legal play?

and people wonder why before I teach a game, I go through and rules lawyer my way through the rules.

Great question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Sean Holliday
msg tools
mb
gil orey wrote:

In a thematic point of view , well... Let’s say you are a spy who prefer to die instead of benefit the enemy. You are a tough spy :-)arrrh

See, my narrative explanation was that I'd set up the meeting on the Cliff to fake my own death.

I was somewhat disappointed that the Beach didn't come up in our next set so I could "wash up on shore", but you can't win 'em all.

But at least I won that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.