5 Posts

Bottom of the 9th» Forums » General

Subject: Hitting card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was very confused by the hitting card. The rules have a table (page 8) with the labels on the left based on the pitcher's die, and the labels on the top based on whether swing is less than control, = to control, or more than control. But the hitting card reverses the order of the swing vs control (putting swing> before swing = before swing<, puts it on the left instead of the top. For reasons I can't understand, the table on the hitting card doesn't have labelled columns. If I read it correctly, the S, B, and C in the middle row are intended as labels of the columns.
I am not sure if I understood the card correctly. The upper left shows a C in an up arrow. Presumably the C is for contact, but I don't understand why there is an upwards arrow. Similarly, there is a B in the bottom row with a down arrow. I assume that the B is for ball, but I don't know what the down arrow is for.

If anyone can explain this, I'd be appreciative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules and hitting card table should express the same information, but there is an error in the rules. For a pitch in the strike zone, and Swing = Control, the result should be a foul, not a strike.

To interpret the table, yes the S, B and C are the columns. So looking at it row by row:

Swing Higher: C (up arrow) [ blank ] [ blank ]

This means if the pitch is in the strike zone (S) and the Swing die is greater than the Control die, then there is contact. All other results are strikes.

Swing Ties Pitch: F B C

So if the pitch is in the strike zone (S), it's a foul. If the pitch is outside the strike zone (B), then the result is a ball. If the pitch paints the corner (C), there is contact.

Swing Lower: [ blank ] B (down arrow) [ blank ]

If the pitch is outside the strike zone and the Swing die is lower than the Control die, then it's a ball. All other results are strikes.

These results all correspond to the rules (with the exception of the missing foul result). I believe the up and down arrows correspond to the "swing higher" and "swing lower" text.

Part of the confusion may come from the axis being reversed when you compare the rule book table and hitting chart. I would say just use the one that makes more sense to you and change the STRIKE to a FOUL for the case where pitch = S and Swing = Control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks.

Confusion was not only due to the contradiction (which I actually forgot about when I posted), and not just due to flipping the axis, but also due to hiding column labels (s,b,and c) within the table (?!?) instead of putting the labels at the top of the column... In other words a misprint. So in a game which requires consulting a table on every move, one table is just wrong and the other is unreadable. (With that said --- I want to add that I really like this game, my kid LOVED it, it felt very 'old-school' in a good way, and kudos to the designers for all that --- in other words, in my opinion they messed up teh hitter's card but in the grand schemme of things I don't want this thread to chase people away from this game......)

Did they correct this in a more recent printing? Is there a downloadable corrected table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They did revise the rules starting with the second printing of the game: Bottom of the 9th - Official Game Rules

It does include the fixed table (FOUL instead of STRIKE) and has other significant revisions, including adding a section that tells you how to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
including adding a section that tells you how to win the game.

We just thought people liked to play for fun. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.