Treasure Hunter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confused About Timing of Play of Mystery Mule Card ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spudkitty

Idaho
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am confused about the timing of playing the Mystery Mule card. The rules on the 'Survey of Action Cards' sheet state that if the drawn card "is an adventurer of the current location, they must play it at once. If it is an adventurer of a location already visited this game round, they must play it next to their cards for that location without any effect. Otherwise, the card must/may be played later during this game round."

Under 'Phase B: Keep Goblins at Bay' it states "To begin with, each player may play the action cards 'Scaregoblin' or 'Mystery Mule.'

So here's my question: You don't know what card is going to be drawn until you play the 'Mystery Mule card.' According to the first description, this sounds like you should play the 'Mystery Mule' card in the 'Capture Treasure' phase or you won't be able to use it for scoring if the drawn card is an 'Adventurer' card. But then it also states that 'the card must/may be played later.' Why do they say 'must/may?' What cards 'must' be played and which cards 'may' be played?

Then, the second description makes it sound like you have to wait until 'Phase B,' after all the 'Adventurer' Max/Min's have been already decided and before the 'Scaregoblin' accounting.

The rules seem contradictory and ill-explained. What am I missing?

Thank you for your help ... much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you draw a card and it is an adventure card for a previous or current adventure, you must play it immediately. If it is an adventure card for a future event you must play it during that adventure. If it's a dog or coin you play during the appropriate phase. If it's an action card you may play it at the appropriate time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Brown
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play the Mystery Mule at any of 4 points when it would be most advantageous/least risky for you to do so. For example, you may be in good shape to win the minimum adventure in the forest, so you do not want t to risk drawing another forest adventurer. Thus you wait until the action phase for the cave adventure to play your mule card.

You may play the mule during the action phase for the mountain, forest or cave adventures. If you play it during the mountain phase and you draw an adventurer, then you must play that adventurer when resolving the appropriate adventure, immediately if it is a mountain adventurer. If you play the mule during the cave adventure and you draw a mountain adventurer, you must play the adventurer immediately, but it has no effect on the outcome of the mountain adventure has already been resolved. If you draw an action card, you MAY play it.

When you get to the goblin phase, you should play your mule if you have not already done so, because there are no longer cards that could hurt you. If you draw an adventurer, you must play/show the card... it has no effect. Action cards are useless at this point, but money and dog cards can still help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spudkitty

Idaho
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you so much for clarifying this for me. I didn't realize you could play the Mule card at multiple points during the game. This adds additional strategy which makes the game even more fun.

Thank you for your time in responding to my question. It was a big help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.