Subject: Microbe tag rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What exactly do I do with a card that has a Microbe tag? Does that mean I can spend microbes to pay for things? Does it mean I can put resources on the card with the microbe tag? If so, how do I know when I can do this? I feel like a complete dufus trying to learn this game from the rule book. I have so many unanswered questions.
I feel like I'm on the cusp of totally understanding this game, but a few pesky things are holding me back and it's extremely frustrating. I want to love this game, and I'm sure I will eventually, but dang. Is there a place in the rule book that specifically addresses microbes?
I've read the book 6 times and watched the entire video series by Fryx 4 times yet I still don't have the answers I need. Perhaps I'm too stupid for this game.
Please help me to understand and enjoy this lovely game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Microbe tags are there to trigger off of other cards. Look at a few of them, like Viral Enhancers to see what happens. The rules are on the cards for you to understand easily.

Don't over complicate things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The answer lies in the cards. The microbe tag on its own doesn't mean anything. There will be cards that reference it, but until then it's just a tag that does nothing for you.

Once you know the basic rules, the cards will pretty much tell you what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More generic advice: Give the game a shot--solo if you have to, but multiplayer is better--and a lot of this will make more sense.

You'll make mistakes, we all do, but it should click for you pretty fast. And, if not, there's always the rest of us to help you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you. Going through solo play now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flashinglogo wrote:
What exactly do I do with a card that has a Microbe tag? Does that mean I can spend microbes to pay for things?

No that only relates to steel and titanium as indicated on your player mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tags have no rules at all applied to them. That's why you won't find anything about them in the rulebook. On page 6 there is a pretty complete description of the tags:
Quote:
"Places the card in certain categories, which can affect or be affected by other cards, or by the player board (e.g. you can pay with steel when playing a building tag)."

Also, on page 15, it tells you up front that

Quote:
Cards have 0-3 tags that thematically describe them
and allow other cards to relate to them. There are no special
rules for the different tags.

(emphasis mine)

Tags are simply thematic keywords telling you what the projects are about, and may be referenced by other cards or effects.

As stated by others, the place to look is in other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me also add:

The only building material in the game are steel (for cards with building tag) and titanium (for cards with space tag). There are no other way to pay for playing cards - except MegaCredits.

I sometimes get the question if you can pay with plant resources or energy resources when you play a card with plant tag or energy tag. Answer is: NO! Plant resources are not good building material (for clarification see the Disney movie "Tree Little Pigs and the Wolf").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Aethan wrote:
Tags have no rules at all applied to them. That's why you won't find anything about them in the rulebook. On page 6 there is a pretty complete description of the tags:
Quote:
"Places the card in certain categories, which can affect or be affected by other cards, or by the player board (e.g. you can pay with steel when playing a building tag)."

Also, on page 15, it tells you up front that

Quote:
Cards have 0-3 tags that thematically describe them
and allow other cards to relate to them. There are no special
rules for the different tags.

(emphasis mine)

Tags are simply thematic keywords telling you what the projects are about, and may be referenced by other cards or effects.

As stated by others, the place to look is in other cards.

I just want to give a shout out to the Fryxelius family for their prompt and friendly support to players of Terraforming Mars. Jacob once responded to my BGG EMail to him in under 4 hours with a very thorough answer to my question.

Thank you, guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nussberger
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I agree completely. While it is always encouraging to see designers taking part here, the Fryxelius brothers have truly gone beyond.

I nominate them for the non-existent "Best Designer Support" award. If it existed, they would be a shoo-in.

Thanks

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There would be some tough competition, for example from Carl Paradis, but I agree the Fryxes have been great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, a quick questions for clarification;
The card "Invention Contest" has a Science tag.
1) Must I have a card in play that has a science tag in order to play Invention Contest?
2) Because this card is placed face down after playing does this mean that its tags are no longer in play and no longer serves a purpose?
3) Assuming it served some purpose when played, what is that purpose? Is it similar to Jovian tags in that a card previously in play, or a corporation card, can benefit because a Science card was played?

I hope the questions are clear enough. I think I have the answers to these questions but need confirmation.

Thanks again to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have somehow managed to get to generation 9 without having raised the temp or oxygen a single step. Is that absurd? Normal? Box up the game and never play again? ????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reached 14th round and finally was able to play a card that raises oxygen.
Blame this on bad random card draw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot to raise the oxygen level when placing the greeneries..

Edit: As noted below, that are the neutral greeneries that do not raise oxygen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flashinglogo wrote:
I have somehow managed to get to generation 9 without having raised the temp or oxygen a single step. Is that absurd? Normal? Box up the game and never play again? ????
It can happen, and it actually doesn't necessarily mean you're going to lose. Due to the engine-building nature of the game you're looking at an exponential growth, so in the last 2-3 turns you can get an incredible amount of stuff done.
E.g. if you've ignored the terraforming factors to boost your base income through the roof instead, you'll probably be fine.
flashinglogo wrote:
Not really. As I recommended in a different thread: If your cards are really _that_ bad, ignore them and use standard projects (preferably raising the temperature) to raise your income as much as you can in the first few turns.
Ideally, this will allow you to put down enough greeneries in the last few turns to just make it.

It's interesting, though, that you've played the Mining Guild corp. In my only lost solo game so far (out of ten), I've also been playing this corp. Coincidence? Perhaps, but it might also indicate a too narrowly focused corp, i.e. too reliant on getting good building cards.

But even in that really bad game I would have won if I'd have had just a single additional turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Juchmes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:

The greeneries on the board are the neutral ones that are set up at the start of the game. AFAIK they don't raise the oxygen level (or if they do, I've been playing my solos wrong)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Juchmes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flashinglogo wrote:
Ok, a quick questions for clarification;
The card "Invention Contest" has a Science tag.
1) Must I have a card in play that has a science tag in order to play Invention Contest?

The tags in the top right are not requirements. If it was a requirement, it would be printed right next to the M€ cost of the card, and also mentioned in the text. So no, Invention Contest doesn't need Science tags to be played.

Quote:

2) Because this card is placed face down after playing does this mean that its tags are no longer in play and no longer serves a purpose?

Correct, tags on event cards can only be used for effects triggered when playing tags. They are no longer in play afterwards.

Quote:

3) Assuming it served some purpose when played, what is that purpose? Is it similar to Jovian tags in that a card previously in play, or a corporation card, can benefit because a Science card was played?

I hope the questions are clear enough. I think I have the answers to these questions but need confirmation.

Thanks again to everyone.

Yes, there are at least two blue cards that trigger when you play a science tag. One lets you draw a card on every 2nd Science tag played, the other lets you discard a card and draw a new one when you play a Science tag. Note that it refers to tags and not cards, so the Research card with two Science tags would trigger those effects twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeoDobby wrote:
pinoeppel wrote:

The greeneries on the board are the neutral ones that are set up at the start of the game. AFAIK they don't raise the oxygen level (or if they do, I've been playing my solos wrong)

Of Course. My Bad. I'll edit my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also going to go out on a limb here and ask how many actions you are taking per generation? You are not limited to just one or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lubomirvaic wrote:
I'm also going to go out on a limb here and ask how many actions you are taking per generation? You are not limited to just one or two.

That's right, one or two actions per turn, as many turns as you like or can per generation, but once you pass you can't take any more turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
flashinglogo wrote:

Some things in this picture aren't adding up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
lubomirvaic wrote:

That's right, one or two actions per turn, as many turns as you like or can per generation, but once you pass you can't take any more turns.

OH CARP! Yes, I now remember that the first 5 or so generations I was incorrectly limiting myself to a max of only 2 actions! From generation 6 and on I was taking as many actions as possible. I suppose with an engine-bilding game like this that each turn is critical.

I'll play again tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for pointing that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Richardson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
flashinglogo wrote:

It would be great to know what's not adding up. Please let me know. It's likely I was skipping something as it was my first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flashinglogo wrote:
Talmanes wrote:
flashinglogo wrote:

It would be great to know what's not adding up. Please let me know. It's likely I was skipping something as it was my first play.

One thing I notice is that temp has risen 7 steps, Oxygen 1 step and there are 3 ocean tile. So that is at least 11 TR increases possibly others based on played cards. On that basis your TR should be at least 25, but is apparently only 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.