One Deck Dungeon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Boss Fight Qs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
1) Do you have to survive when you kill the boss to win? It looks like from the Reference Guide you do your damage first and if you survive then the boss takes damage.

2) What if one hero survives, can only that one hero get the 3 checks for Campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hill
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you kill the boss you win. Doesn't matter in 1p/2p who survives the last round. You still win because you deal your dice before effects take place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HillKing wrote:
If you kill the boss you win. Doesn't matter in 1p/2p who survives the last round. You still win because you deal your dice before effects take place.

This is incorrect. From the revised rules page 38 in the FAQ section. "To win the boss fight, you must survive damage in the final round. The boss takes damage in a step after the heroes do."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hill
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaaat thats new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HillKing wrote:
Whaaat thats new.

Not really. In the original rules on page 20 it is quite explicit. Step 3 of the boss fight is to take consequences and step 4 is to strike the boss. So since a character dies as soon as the damage they have taken is equal to the number of health they have a character would die, and thus lose the game, before they get to strike the boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Yeah my rules say something like we need to take damage first, if we survive then apply boss damage.
So last night I did before the boss but my son survived so only he gets the bonus 3 checkmarks for killing the boss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have not been playing with campaign mode I would so no, your son would not get to make marks for killing the boss.

First, the game is fully cooperative and I interpret that to mean that you win or lose together, not independently.

Second, once you have died your dice would no longer count to damage the boss (as you are now dead) and it seems unlikely that the other player would have enough by himself to do much damage to a boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kahler
United States
Lees Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would disagree and if a player died while another lived, the deceased players dice would still count on the boss. You have to place the dice before you resolve how much damage is done. At that point they are placed and allocated, you shouldn't go back and deallocate them.

It would make sense that a character would go down swinging and inflict damage that they may not be able to reap the rewards for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
boogabee wrote:
I would disagree and if a player died while another lived, the deceased players dice would still count on the boss. You have to place the dice before you resolve how much damage is done. At that point they are placed and allocated, you shouldn't go back and deallocate them.

It would make sense that a character would go down swinging and inflict damage that they may not be able to reap the rewards for.

I would like to think the same thing. It was fun to imagine it...telling my son to leave me behind and kill the boss for me! lol. BUT on page 35 under Boss Battle it does say If Heroes survive then the boss takes damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kahler
United States
Lees Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koolkat67 wrote:
boogabee wrote:

I would like to think the same thing. It was fun to imagine it...telling my son to leave me behind and kill the boss for me! lol. BUT on page 35 under Boss Battle it does say If Heroes survive then the boss takes damage.

My read of that is that it is talking about the Heroes as a collective in if that anyone in the party survives on to the next round it is okay. It would be good to get an official ruling on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
If any hero runs out of health the game is over. If after checking that, the boss is out of health, the heroes win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
I emailed Asmadi Games and they said "if any hero runs out of health, the game ends before the boss is defeated"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koolkat67 wrote:
I emailed Asmadi Games and they said "if any hero runs out of health, the game ends before the boss is defeated"

Chris, the guy who commented before you, is Asmadi games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
minigno wrote:
koolkat67 wrote:

Chris, the guy who commented before you, is Asmadi games

Ah lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.