Subject: Any recommended setups for 1st time players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than random, any recommended setups for first time players for the victory point cards and the 16 purchasable cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Hayward
Japan
Koto-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:
Rather than random, any recommended setups for first time players for the victory point cards and the 16 purchasable cards?

As long as the gamers are accustomed to medium-weight games, I can't think of anything in particular to avoid for a first time game. Just ensure each player has a roughly equal amount of each starting resource. For example; I know some people will get frustrated if they can't do the build action because they have no stone.

My highest recommendation for both new and long-time Mythotopia fans is the use of d10 dice. Have 3 in each player color, they are usually around a dollar each. Use these to keep updated military totals in each war. This saves everyone from recalculating their totals from units, ships AND card abilities every single turn. Having the multiple dice will also hopefully get the idea ingrained that it is best to have multiple conflicts going at once, rather than investing everything in a single War.

I hope this helps. (^_^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest avoiding "Defender Of The Realm", I think it's called. Objectives which reward successful defense, naturally discourage someone attacking you in the first place, and can drag the game out a fair bit. That's unless there's also the Citadel or Spoils Of War objective out, which can counter that motivation again.

I'd also suggest making sure the Dragon one and the Runestones aren't both in play, as they're slightly bland and similar.

But note that the point of these cards is to make game experiences very different, some will strongly promote fighting, others discourage it etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.