Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Getting ready to play my first game of Last King of Scotland tomorrow afternoon. I've read the rules several times and everything looks pretty straightforward.

I've seen some of the clarifications in the forums here regarding stacking -- specifically, that brigades can only overstack when the entire brigade is present.

However, the verbiage in the section about the Libyan units is different insofar as it omits the word "all" when describing overstacking. Does this mean the Libyan units can always overstack, regardless if all are present? Or is this a rules quirk? The "all" is italicized and in red when describing overstacking for Tanzanian and Ugandan units, so its absence in the section on Libyans is conspicuous and possibly significant.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Steve,

According to 7.0, the only exceptions to the 'no more than three' stacking rules, are the following: (concrete from the rule book, point 3 is verbatim)

1. All Tanzanian of the same brigade

2. All Ugandan of the 1st and 2nd Brigade

3. The Ugandan's Libyan Brigade units can always stack with each other. These specific black on green units have their names underlined.

If you think about it from another perspective, not all Libyan units in the game (be they reinforcements or optional units) are underlined, ie the rule doesn't apply to all Libyan units.

I don't interpret the rules to mean that they can only stack if all units from a brigade are present. Rather, you can have 5/8 units say from the same brigade, once X number of units are exclusively all from that same brigade. That is, if you want more that three stacked together, they can only be more than three from the same brigade only, and not 3 from one and 4 from another or something, or 2 each from 2 separate brigades would perhaps be a better example.

It's important to keep in mind that the rulebook states that these points above are an exception rather than a rule per se.

Enjoy the game, it's a really good conflict to play out the dynamics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Darragh,

Thanks for the reply.

The designer has stated elsewhere that his intention was that overstacking only be allowed when the overstacked units are a) All from the same brigade, and b) all present (ie it must be all 5 units from the brigade and not 4 of the 5.)

That said, I have seen at least a couple folks who basically don't play it that way. Like you, they play it as same brigade can always overstack regardless of completeness.

I did get to play yesterday. I was the Tanzanians. I ended up losing because I failed to dislodge the Ugandan armies from Kampala, which would have forced a draw result. This was due in part to rolling a couple of inopportune 1's in initiative, triggering the Tanzanian supply breakdown mechanic.

I did enjoy it, and look forward to giving it another go! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I forgot to mention. The whole thing with Libyan overstacking didn't even come up; if I remember correctly, the Libyans didn't have large enough brigades for it to be an issue. I'll have to go back and look to be sure about that. But it never ended up being discussed during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.