Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also posted this under Pet Pack 1, but got no reply. So, I thought I'd see if anyone visiting the main AQ: Pets page had any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Has anyone else played Jamon the Boar and found him to be too powerful?

Many cards that involuntarily move a figure specifically state that they don't cause guard reactions. But, his card does not say anything about about this (so, we've been playing if he pushes a hero away from a monster it triggers the guard reaction).

Worse yet, as he levels up he pushes multiple figures, and potentially triggers multiple guard reactions toward multiple figures even from a single monster.

Curious what others think about this, or if we are misreading or misinterpreting something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that his pushing the hero away is not the same as moving. Things like Wind Blast also move heroes and do not trigger guard reactions, so there is already a precedent for that. Otherwise, I agree that his ability would be too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But, Wind Blast (and all other cards like it if memory serves) specifically says it does not trigger a guard reaction... Jamon does not say that.

I suppose if he doesn't cause guard reactions his strength becomes moving your own guys around monsters without triggering guard reactions (or moving enemy figures toward monsters to lock them down).

But, given how careful they are about this issue on other cards, I remain uncertain.

EDIT: I will also note that we didn't realize quite how powerful he was until our second game. So, no one focused on killing him. Perhaps that is the issue. I don't expect him to last as long in Games 3+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Jack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched the Watch it Played rules video, which I know is Rodney's summary, not official. In it, while explaining guard reactions, he specifically mentions that effects that move a figure do not trigger guard reactions because they're not actual move actions.

The rulebook states:

Quote:
Triggered by a Move
Whenever a Hero that occupies a Space Close to a Monster moves to another Space, he triggers that Monster’s Guard Reaction...

Keep in mind that using a portal does not trigger Guard Reaction.

That seems to reinforce that card and board effects do not trigger guard reactions, only player move actions do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense... though I do wish they just put it on the card as they usually would to avoid confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian L.
msg tools
Afaik, Jamon "shoves" a character (on higher level more than one) away from the space he ends his movement.

"Shove" is explained in the Inferno rule book on page 15.

Quote:
Heroes being displaced by a Shove do not trigger Guard

Reactions from Close Monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very helpful... thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.