Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Elder Sign: Omens of the Deep» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exact time to spend trophies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
This sentence in OOTD rulebook drag my attention:"An investigator who starts his Clock phase on .... entrance card may spend trophies for various effects". However, if investigator suceed adventure, his token is placed back on the entrance card(just before clock phase). As for me, it clearly states that you can immediately buy stuff after successful adventure.
But, it drastically differs from earlier add-ons of ES.

ES:UF :" if investigator is on an Entrance card during his Resolution phase, he must resolve the cards ability". That leads us to the question when resolution Phase ends? If resolution Phase is everything after Movement Phase and before Clock Phase, does that mean, that investigator is able to buy enchansments after successful adventure ending, because his or her token is on the entrance card?
ES:GOA: if an investigator is on the Streets of Arkham card at the end of his movement phase, he may resolve the cards ability.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SiberianStanley wrote:
This sentence in OOTD rulebook drag my attention:"An investigator who starts his Clock phase on .... entrance card may spend trophies for various effects". However, if investigator suceed adventure, his token is placed back on the entrance card(just before clock phase). As for me, it clearly states that you can immediately buy stuff after successful adventure.


Sorry, but why? I don't understand your point. You are moved back on the Entrance at the end of the Resolution Phase (in case you successfully complete the adventure). Resolution Phase ends, Clock Phase begins: immediately at the beginning of this new phase, you are allowed to spend trophies and buy items. I don't see contraddictions.


SiberianStanley wrote:
But, it drastically differs from earlier add-ons of ES.


"From some earlier add-ons" is more correct: Omens of Ice works in the exact same way, which is different from core set and Unseen Forces (where you were forced to lose your whole Resolution Phase to use the Entrance, i.e. you were not allowed to go on an adventure) and Gates (where Entrance where to be used during Movement)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I didn't think that FFG would change such fundamental rule from add-on to add-on. When it caught my attention it made impression of some cheating and/or, that I played wrong with the core box game. So i made a recheck. Well, if so, It makes the game process a lot more smooth.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SiberianStanley wrote:
I didn't think that FFG would change such fundamental rule from add-on to add-on. When it caught my attention it made impression of some cheating and/or, that I played wrong with the core box game. So i made a recheck. Well, if so, It makes the game process a lot more smooth.


True, it's pretty a big change. But trust me on this issue, I'm 100% sure of how this is supposed to work (if you need reference, check the rules credits, you'll see my name as tech editor starting from Gates)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
But trust me on this issue


in Julia we trust!

goo
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
But trust me on this issue,


I wouldn't buy snake oil in the Old West from Julia .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am now totally confused. I thought you either spent your turn at the entrance and take your actions or you spent your turn on an adventure card and take your actions.

Are you telling me that you can go on an adventure, succeed, move back to the entrance and take actions?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JackhammerJohn wrote:
I am now totally confused. I thought you either spent your turn at the entrance and take your actions or you spent your turn on an adventure card and take your actions.

Are you telling me that you can go on an adventure, succeed, move back to the entrance and take actions?


In Omens of the Deep and in Omens of Ice, yes, you can buy items at the Entrance during the Clock Phase, which means you can have a full Resolution Phase before, i.e., you can go on adventures, get rewards and trophies and then return to the Entrance for further shopping.

This is NOT possible in ES, UF or GoA, tho
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Julia! I must have missed that!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JackhammerJohn wrote:
Are you telling me that you can go on an adventure, succeed, move back to the entrance and take actions?


I'm guessing that you weren't the only one to make this mistake.

To make the magnitude and intent of this rule 100% clear, it would have been useful to add something like this to the "Ultima Thule" section of the rulebook:

This means that, unlike the Elder Sign base game, an investigator can spend trophies for effects immediately after s/he is moved back to the entrance after successfully resolving an Adventure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wkover wrote:
JackhammerJohn wrote:
Are you telling me that you can go on an adventure, succeed, move back to the entrance and take actions?


I'm guessing that you weren't the only one to make this mistake.

To make the magnitude and intent of this rule 100% clear, it would have been useful to add something like this to the "Ultima Thule" section of the rulebook:

This means that, unlike the Elder Sign base game, an investigator can spend trophies for effects immediately after s/he is moved back to the entrance after successfully resolving an Adventure.


The same wording was also used in Omens of Ice; thus, the wording of the rules was mantained the same for consistency between the rulebooks. Additionally, there are other things that work differently from standard ES, so, if in one point it's said "unlike the ES base game", then you need to draw a line saying "here the clarification is needed, here is not", which is subjective and usually ends up in disasters of biblical proportions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
The same wording was also used in Omens of Ice...


It sure was, and I'm a proud owner of both. This clarification should have been made in both of them.

This might be better: (deleting reference to base game)

This means that an investigator can spend trophies for effects immediately after s/he is moved back to the entrance after successfully resolving an Adventure.

Anytime you're doing something radically different from a previous version, I think it's worth drawing clear attention to it. You can't always rely on experienced players reading each line/word carefully and reconstructing concepts that have become fully ingrained - particularly timing and terminology issues.

Just my two cents, of course.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.