Popular Tags: [View All]
Go Jira
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Ever since shut up and sit down gave their video review of Wiz-War and rumored about 4 total expansions, then kev Wilson and jay little leaving FFG, I feel like there is an unfinished chapter still to be told for FFGs greatest thematic game that they currently produce.
Do you feel that you can comfortably call Wiz-War complete with only adding the two existing expansions (Malefic & Bestial Forces)?

If not, what else would you want to see specifically from the spell cards and other components?
Yes, the two expansions are good enough and glad I don't have to buy more.
Yes, but I would really like more expansions.
No, this game needs more expansion material before I can be satisfied.
      97 answers
Poll created by Kaijuotaku
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always on BGG - This poll doesn't really give me an answer that I'm 100% satisfied with.

Wiz war was never incomplete.

It didn't NEED expansions; the game was great as a base game and could be enjoyed countless times using just the base game.

Expansions were always essentially "nice to haves" which added so much more of what I love. But in my opinion the game didn't need them in order to be complete. So adding in another expansion isn't going to make it complete; adding another 2 expansions isn't going to make it any more complete than it already is; it's just going to add more awesome stuff to the game!

At this stage though, I don't think more expansions are going to happen. But I've been proven wrong in the past (ie - I didn't expect an expansion to be made at all!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
On one hand, I am happy with where the game is at. I've combined the base game and both expansions into the base box with a custom wooden insert and painted miniatures. To me, it is my most complete game because there is absolutely nothing I am missing, expansion, or otherwise.

On the other hand, This is Wiz-War. Of course I'd like to see new schools of magic and some other miniatures, maybe a mini expansion that adds more mutations to the mix? I know that my custom insert will be at its limits (actually as long as they don't add another player board, I've still got plenty of room), and I'll have to ship new miniatures off to a friend to paint, but part of what makes Wiz-War so great is how customizable it is. Having more options only increases the opportunities.

I do wonder if now that FFG lost Talisman and Cosmic Encounter rapidly approaches critical mass, if they'll take another look at Wiz-War and try and do something with it.

I wouldn't mind them taking a stab at coming up with something completely new that hasn't been printed before (As I understand it, the two expansions are largely inspired by other expansions that came before).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
When compared to the expansion material from previous editions - yes. FFG's Wiz-War could use at least ONE more expansion. An expansion that introduces a 6th wizard would be fantastic. And if said expansion were to include that new wizard - might as well throw in some additional creatures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would love to see enough base cards for each wizard to have his own custom deck. Another wizard and more creatures would also be a welcome addition. Basically, I love Wiz-War and would buy anything they added to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never gotten enough Wiz-War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Go Jira
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Bert. Sorry. I agree with you that polls are rarely going to give all the best satisfactory options. But in a case like this where the answers could be nearly black and white, it should suffice for a rough barometer without dozens of people needing to comment "me too"?

On topic, here is an interesting geek list I recently came across about the "heat death" of games.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/206953/games-have-reached...?

I think the majority of us would agree (judging by current poll numbers of 75% stating that they would still like more expansions if offered) that Wiz-War has never reached that point in its entire publication history of any edition.

I think heat death could kill a game long term since new players would look at the content, then walk away from even bothering to try it even without additional content. Or kill it for those who've been in since day one, not even wanting to set it up under the weight of the work involved. I sold Arkham horror because of that.

My grandpa told me that when going to a party, it's always better to leave when people want you to stay rather than when you've overstayed your welcome and become boring. Perhaps Wiz-War achieved that balance?

The cards were already kind of scrapping the bottom of the creative barrel. By that, I mean that many of the expansion cards were duplicates, so each school only had maybe a dozen new unique cards in their 24 card totals. It was more about redundancy than unique effects. And these expansions weren't cheap either.

Hmmmm... Perhaps I might be in the "it's now complete and glad I don't have to buy any further expansions" camp now rather than wanting more, because of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaijuotaku wrote:
My grandpa told me that when going to a party, it's always better to leave when people want you to stay rather than when you've overstayed your welcome and become boring. Perhaps Wiz-War achieved that balance?

Another great example of this is Calvin and Hobbes.

Anyway, I think just one more expansion would make the game complete. If I were tasked with coming up with a third expansion these are some ideas I'd start with:

- Sixth Player

Having a sixth player to complete the rectangle board shape would be nice. I also like the idea of three couples being able to sit down and play a three team competitive battle.

- Extra cards per School

Whether this is just extra copies of existing cards to make each deck feel more capable of standing on its own, or even entirely new ones, I wouldn't mind. Maybe 5 new cards per school? Then they could include 2 new mutations and 2 new creatures for a total of 5 miniatures in the expansion.

- New School of Magic (Illusion, life, nature)

I haven't given this too much thought but maybe include trickery type spells, sleight of hand, etc. A card that make chests in a players home base an illusion. I dunno what else could be added to that. for life it could be all about manipulating hit points. Nature would include more concepts like rose bush and other such things. I'm undecided.

-----------

I think a fan made expansion like Cosmic Dominion for Cosmic Encounter would be a great idea. Not to mention I think there were a few "fan-made" expansions for Talisman. There seems to be a lot of opportunity for polling both the old wiz-war players AND the newer ones in coming up with a fan expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenix Guardian
Italy
Verona
Veneto
flag msg tools
i'm on both side, with ones that say the game DOESN'T NEED expansions, and with ones that want a third, last one, with some features like 6th players (and relative 3rd cantrip), and new schools (for me it's important to include an holy-healing one, and a druidric like one).

the fact it's this: the basic game its perfected balanced, enjoiable, and complete under many aspects. but if you are an hardcore gamer, you want both MC and BF, because adds some specific feature that transform the game and the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.