Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Duplicates in X-Men big box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we already know the X-Men big box is going to contain a new X-Men affiliated Beast, and a lot of people seem to be asking for X-23.

What other duplicates would you like to see in this box?

I could go for Magneto and Nightcrawler.

Who would you not like to see duplicated?

I for one don't want another Cyclops (except maybe as a Phoenix Force mastermind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out of curiosity is it out of the question for some prior incarnations of the XMen? I came into the XMen with Wolverine, Cyclops, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Storm, Thunderbird, Sunfire, and Banshee.

Those last three would be nice to see cards of, even if just as nostalgia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather not see any duplicates at all... There's a plethora of X-Men that have not been used yet. Adding duplicates of existing characters is lazy designing IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
blipadouzi wrote:
I'd rather not see any duplicates at all...

This. So much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
blipadouzi wrote:

This. So much.

A million times this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
GrandMasterFox wrote:
blipadouzi wrote:

This. So much.

A million times this

Yup. There are plenty of characters we haven't seen any iterations of that I would want before we have duplicates. The one caveat to this is I would like to see a 616 X-Men Colossus, but it will probably never happen.

X-23 would be fine, as she is Wolverine, but not Logan.

My "want list" is basically addressed by everyone else's want list in the other thread, so I don't really see much of a need to list specific characters.

I just don't want more duplicates if the characters already exist. But I'm sure Upper Deck has probably already finalized the cast of Heroes, Villains, and Masterminds, so ultimately this is probably a moot point - they're likely just doing playtesting/tweaking now and waiting on the last bit of artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surely everyone ragging on "repeats" has missed Dog's Duplicate Design Challenge, implemented specifically to assuage such concerns!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1599536/dogs-duplicate-desi...

Still one month left to participate in the third and final 3D Challenge, MARVEL TEAM-UP!!!!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1720973/its-here-final-dupl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Wishlist

Jean Grey
Phoenix
Dark Phoenix (Master Mind)
Colossus
Wolverine (Can't have enough )
X-23
Quicksilver
Storm
Rogue
Psylocke
Nightcrawler
Sabretooth (Master Mind, Masterstrike is: Reveal your hand, gain one wound for each grey hero and wound you show/have)
Sabretooth (Age of Apocalypse X-Man)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan of dupes usually, but there's potential here for creating the definitive versions of X-Men heroes in this expansion. Besides Beast, an X-Men-affiliated Colossus (sans Soulsword) would be a good choice. Oh, a younger, non-Apocalyptic version of Kitty Pryde, too. And I wouldn't mind a heroic (late Claremont era) version of Magneto. Jean Grey Phoenix with the green and gold costume before she goes Dark (in addition to a Dark Phoenix mastermind + some kind of scheme inspired by the classic Phoenix storyline) would be a dream come true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

Seen Nightcrawler mentioned a few times. Just curious, what's wrong with the version of Nightcrawler we have already in Dark City?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Hartless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The better question is....When are you going to run a league again Darth Ed? Are you done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix
Kitty Pride
Archangel (x-force affiliation)

I wouldn't mind some other mutants not previously used coming in this box as x-force affiliated instead of x-men affiliated, for example Cannonball. I also wouldn't mind mutants like Madrox or Caliban who were never x-men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolemitesooner wrote:
The better question is....When are you going to run a league again Darth Ed? Are you done?

Rather off-topic, but no. I'm still working on getting season 8 going, believe it or not. I was just working on it last week. I appreciate the interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Hartless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Dolemitesooner wrote:

Rather off-topic, but no. I'm still working on getting season 8 going, believe it or not. I was just working on it last week. I appreciate the interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

Seen Nightcrawler mentioned a few times. Just curious, what's wrong with the version of Nightcrawler we have already in Dark City?

Nothing particularly. He's just one of my favourite X-Men characters, and I like having multiple versions of my favourite characters so that I play with them more often (without necessarily having to play with the same mechanics all the time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe someday we'll have an excalibur team with another Nightcrawler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted here about this before. Someone puts out a sandbox, I'll step up on it when it comes to this topic.

Colossus should have a X-Men card set. Here is why...

A) He ranks 4th for actually being on an X-Men roster trailing Cyclops, Storm and Wolverine for most time with the team.

B) He does not have one yet.
Wait you say...what about Soulsword Colossus that is an X-Men affiliated card set.
Couple of reasons...

First, for the record, this is the worst card set in the game thematically. If Covert cards are to represent how sneaky and stealthy a character is, then Soulsword Colossus is the 2nd most sneaky character in the game. Black Cat has the most covert cards, 2nd is SoulSword Colossus. More so than Electra, Daredevil, Moon Night, Kitty Pryde, Nightcrawler, Invisible Woman, etc...That's right a 7 foot tall shiny metal dude with a glowing sword can sneak about better than any of them.

Second, Letting an alternate universe / History version of a hero that had 5 issues represent the hero as a whole just doesn't seem quite right. That would be like having a Vision Avenger card set from his time with the West Coast Avengers when he went all vanilla colored. Or a Thor card set from his time when he had lost his arm and didn't have the Hammer...it is not a true representation of the Hero.

C) Well His X-Force card set is pretty good, what is wrong with that one? I agree it is a solid card set. But it is not X-Men. To Me X-Force is Cable and Domino running around with the fresh outta highschool New Mutants, with small ankles, big hair and too many pouches. Oh and getting attacked by Deadpool. Not really X-Men.

Yes there are others that I would love to see, but adding in a Sunfire or Thunderbird who saw very limited time with the team, when there is a glaring omission from the roster just doesn't sit right with me. I want to sit down and have a thematic game of the Claremont or Jim Lee run of the X-Men. Right now doing that with a True Colossus is not an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Excalibur would be nice! I'd also like a scheme based on Logan, which was wonderful, but that's something else.

Otherwise, I couldn't be more with the Darth:

DarthEd wrote:
Not a fan of dupes usually, but there's potential here for creating the definitive versions of X-Men heroes in this expansion. Besides Beast, an X-Men-affiliated Colossus (sans Soulsword) would be a good choice. Oh, a younger, non-Apocalyptic version of Kitty Pryde, too. And I wouldn't mind a heroic (late Claremont era) version of Magneto. Jean Grey Phoenix with the green and gold costume before she goes Dark (in addition to a Dark Phoenix mastermind + some kind of scheme inspired by the classic Phoenix storyline) would be a dream come true.

Kitty Pryde is the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Nothing particularly. He's just one of my favourite X-Men characters, and I like having multiple versions of my favourite characters so that I play with them more often (without necessarily having to play with the same mechanics all the time).

That's odd considering most duplicates we have practically use the same mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

That's odd considering most duplicates we have practically use the same mechanic.

I find them different enough to increase my interest in playing. YMMV.

I'm not saying I want the whole set to be duplicates, but I'd happy with a handful out of a big-box.

I'm excited to see what the new X-Men Beast plays like, and I really would like a new Magneto (because the Villains version doesn't really work in solo).

When Civil War came out, Peter Parker and Secret Avengers Cap were two of the characters I was most keen to try out. I'm just more interested in Cap and Spidey fighting the forces of evil than Hercules or Tigra. Though FWIW I think all four of those Hero decks are solid and enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The important thing for me, is that duplicates are of characters that I like and am interested in playing.

Soulsword Colossus and Phoenix Force Cyclops have barely seen the light of day for me (just not as interested in those characters), while I've played lots of games with the many iterations of Spider-Man.

I don't want another Deadpool, and although I'd be happy for RangerRob finally getting his wish, I'm not that interested in seeing another Colossus (sorry Rob).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
All good Mike. thumbsup

Here is another way to look at it.

Avengers Strong guy / Tank = Hulk
FF Strong Guy Tank = Thing
X-Men Strong Guy Tank = Colossus.

Right now of the three major hero teams in the Marvel Universe only one is missing there "Tank" from their roster in Legendary.

Hypothetically, lets say The Hulk in the Base Box set was not Avengers affiliated but NO affiliation like Surfer or Deadpool.

Now lets say there was an Avengers big box set coming out...Should Hulk be getting an Avengers card set? Even though he has a pretty good card set (base game) and a set that really has nothing to do with the character (Fear Itself).

Really the only down side is He can't trigger his teammates superpowers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what I take it back, I would like to see another Colossus on one condition:

He comes with a new 'cannonball special' mechanic that represents him throwing his teammates at the enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:

Here is another way to look at it.

Avengers Strong Guy Tank = Hulk
FF Strong Guy Tank = Thing
X-Men Strong Guy Tank = Colossus
X-Factor Strong Guy Tank = Strong Guy

FTFY... Sorry, I couldn't resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.