Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Loonen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I'm about to order Mage Knight to add to my solo-boardgame-collection. I like games like Robinson Crusoe and Friday. I don't mind the fantasy theme either (played Guild Wars for a while). I like games with lots of depth and don't mind needing several playing-hours to understand and master a game.

I'm posting this, because I also tried Legends of Andor solo and that game fell flat for me. I couldn't put my finger on why it did, but I didn't get sucked into the Andor-world.

Can you guys give me some advice or convince me why Mage Knight is different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor is more a puzzle with one most efficient solution where Mage Knight has a lot more variation in scenarios and options. The game mechanics add a lot of variation as well, without a big luck factor, so it's still possible to follow a strategy and try different strategies. It feels more like a game as well.

For me it's the only game I love playing solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
Italy
Castelbellino
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously MK is THE game with lots of depth - that you'll need several playing hours to master.

I've never played Andor, but I watched many videos and it looks shallow if compared to MK.

Go ahead and try MK, you'll love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
Loonens wrote:
Hi all,

I'm about to order Mage Knight to add to my solo-boardgame-collection. I like games like Robinson Crusoe and Friday. I don't mind the fantasy theme either (played Guild Wars for a while). I like games with lots of depth and don't mind needing several playing-hours to understand and master a game.

I'm posting this, because I also tried Legends of Andor solo and that game fell flat for me. I couldn't put my finger on why it did, but I didn't get sucked into the Andor-world.

Can you guys give me some advice or convince me why Mage Knight is different?

By the way, I'm in the process of moving house now, but if you want to try the game some time after april and live in the vicinity of Eindhoven, you are welcome to try it at my (new) place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting, as I get a somewhat similar feel from Andor and Mage Knight. I like both games very much.

I would say that Andor is more puzzly, with more counting and calculating going on. It is very mechanical. In Mage Knight, you don't go through "if - then - else" tree branches in your head as you do in Andor. Monsters don't move around, you don't need to protect something, you basically just walk around and kill stuff.
It is still a racing game, though it conceals it better than Andor does by cutting the game down in turns. Each turn presents a different puzzle to you, depending on the cards you have drawn. You very much have to play the cards you get with the most efficiency, and it is a bad idea to do something your cards aren't meant to do. Still, you must keep in mind that the clock is ticking, and you can't take your time to clear the map. You need to carefully balance between killing enough stuff in order to build up your character and racing towards the finish line.

In general, Mage Knight has a lot more randomness than Andor. The map will be different every game, you will fight random monsters in the locations, the cards and skills you gain for leveling up or as loot will also be random.
But there is more room for developing skill, too. You can keep track of which cards you drew this round and which are still going to come up and try to plan accordingly. Correctly assessing risks prior to fighting unknown enemies takes experience.

Ultimately, it comes down to what exactly you didn't like about Andor. Was it the mechanical, puzzly nature? Mage Knight isn't as bad in that regard, and instead of one big puzzle, it presents you a smaller, random one each turn.
Was it the racing feel instead of a struggle for survival? Mage Knight is similar in that regard, though not quite as obvious.
And of course, Mage Knight is about a thousand times more complex, but you already know that.

For what it's worth, I don't like solo games (including Andor; I miss the cooperation). Mage Knight is the one exception, it is just a fantastic experience playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
I just jumped into MK and love it. It is an amazing solo game. Games I have played solo... Merchants & Marauders, Mice & Mystics, Agricola, and Descent 1st ed. Road to Legend. All of those pale in comparison to the solo experience with MK. Previously, my two favorite games were Descent 1st and Twilight Imperium III. So, I love complex games with tons of rules. MK doesn't disappoint. It has a lot of strategy and tactics.

I like the flavor in the game, but they basically made a copy of the game into Star Trek if you prefer that sort of thing.

Not sure if this matters to you, but it is a really easy game to leave setup on a side table and take a turn every once in awhile. With current home life I get a chance to go sit down for 15 minutes, then 3 hours later I get an hour to play, then the next day I have 30 minutes. The turns and rounds make it easy to chop up and keep playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Loonen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your replies! It did help me towards liking MK a bit more. I just ordered it (2nd handed), so I didn't pay the full retail price. I can't wait to dig in!

Trantor42 wrote:

Ultimately, it comes down to what exactly you didn't like about Andor. Was it the mechanical, puzzly nature? Mage Knight isn't as bad in that regard, and instead of one big puzzle, it presents you a smaller, random one each turn.
Was it the racing feel instead of a struggle for survival? Mage Knight is similar in that regard, though not quite as obvious.
And of course, Mage Knight is about a thousand times more complex, but you already know that.

It's hard to know exactly what it is about a game you don't like... I did like the puzzle, but with LoA the randomness was to unforgiven (events and creature tiles) which costed me 2 games which I couldn't have won.... no matter how I would have played.

Maybe it was the board and lack of exploration indeed. Or the interaction during my solo experience which you need @ LoA. There where MK is the better solo experience.

We shall see! Can't wait to receive it and set it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternate rules for Decent solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
MysteryMan_007_007 wrote:

Nope, I just play it using a lot of mental gymnastics. I play both sides, but have to be honest with myself like walking into a trap that I know I’m about to play on myself. Lol RTL Descent 1st ed is one of the greatest gaming experiences out there, but I will never be able to get the same people together for 60-90 hours of games.

I’m pretty sure Descent 2 has various solo play expansions and maybe an app now. I don’t care for D2 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MysteryMan_007_007 wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion Expansion

Enough for seven solo lifetimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.