Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Games I would like someone to publish rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Plans are comprehensive: every major--and non-major--publishers announces their game catalogue every now and then. It is fair to assume that every major--and non-major (he says again)--conflict has been depicted in a game, potentially in more than one scale.

Which is good.

But then there is that shortage of sort: some games are flops, some games are out of print, same games cover coflicts I am not really interested in but would love have their mechanisms incorporated into different theater / region.

It ain't a geeklist as none of the below has been published. Just a list of food for thought; for me, mostly, I guess, but should you feel like adding to the discussion, do not refrain.

1. A multiplayer CDG with rules comparable to Successors, complexity-wise. Era, location, conflict do not matter as long as the game is not too complex (Clash of Monarchs, I am looking at you) and conveys an epic narrative. I've heard of Pax Romana (OOP?) and its younger sibling, Genesis, but the latter, so I've heard, is too convoluted for what it offers. YMMV but I don't feel like giving it a try (yet?).

2. A hex CDG on ETO or Eastern Front. Stalin's War, please, but without the scripted cards and undertaken through more playtesting. EotS is amazing but it won't really lean to ground warfare, I guess.

3. COIN on Roman triumvirate. Enough said.

4. COIN on Bosnian War. If Srebrenica happens, all players lose.

5. Operational hex&counter wargame on Balkan Campaign in WWII. Mark Simonitch, please? Granted, I didn't query much but really couldn't find anything of interest regarding this conflict but I bet it would be a hit, considering it is off the path and terrain presents otherwise not seen challenges for both sides. Guerillas? Or rather COIN on post-campaign events?

6. Good game on Spanish Civil War. There are two recent publications, granted, but Spanish Civil War by GMT was a flop; neither have I heard good things on Crusade and Revolution. Hex&counter, why not, but political aspects to be brought out plus unusual warfare approach of republican forces.

7. Point to point CDG on Peloponnesian War. There is Hellenes but these days I do shun block games--can't really wrap my head around combat resolution (why defenders would hit first, well, alright, whatever). We have Polis, right, but there still is a place for more complex game. I guess.

8. Mid-complex operational game (or even whole series!) on any conflict(s). Something like Tonkin: The Indochina war 1950-54 (second edition) (I haven't had a chance to play it though). OCS is too big. BCS even more so. Limited number of counters, a bit--or even more than a bit chrome--plus a big focus on logistics. Please.

Thanks for looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Spanish Civil War, ¡Arriba España! attempts to deal a bit more with the politics and the internal divisions within the 2 factions. Worth a look!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
I've heard of Pax Romana (OOP?) and its younger sibling, Genesis, but the latter, so I've heard, is too convoluted for what it offers. YMMV but I don't feel like giving it a try (yet?).

There is a leaner, meaner game inside Pax Romana screaming to get out, but I don't know of any developer dying to extract it.

Quote:
A hex CDG on ETO or Eastern Front. Stalin's War, please, but without the scripted cards and undertaken through more playtesting. EotS is amazing but it won't really lean to ground warfare, I guess.

Mark Herman is working on bringing EotS to the ETO. Don't ask, though, it could be a while.

Quote:
COIN on Roman triumvirate. Enough said.

Why would COIN be a good application here? Perhaps borrowing some of the card mechanics, but a new design would be welcome. Maybe something that scours Trajan: Ancient Wars Series for the good stuff and reforms it into something more coherent.

Quote:
Operational hex&counter wargame on Balkan Campaign in WWII. Mark Simonitch, please? Granted, I didn't query much but really couldn't find anything of interest regarding this conflict but I bet it would be a hit

Balkans 1941 is supposed to be pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see

* a southern Africa series on the rise of the Zulu empire, the Basotho kingdom and the Matebele empire in the early- to mid- 19th century. One game or, preferably, three interconnected games.

* a game on the expansion of the Arabs out of Arabia in the 7th and 8th centuries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
* a game on the expansion of the Arabs out of Arabia in the 7th and 8th centuries.

There is this, a solo effort in French: Au Nom d'Allah: l'expansion musulmane (632-732).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting topic.

I would like a good STRATEGIC level WAR game on the rise of the Mongol Empire. Khan: The Rise of the Mongols has some decent points, but overall it fails. (Yeah, there are tactical games on the Mongols, but tactical is not my bag.)

The main reason Khan fails is the non-Mongol player ("Kingdom") doesn't really make sense. What do the Hungarians and the empires in India and the Sung have in common? Nothing, except the Mongols are after them. And it's no fun playing the Mongol Punching Bag side.

So a GOOD game could possibly be a solitaire one.

OR - even better - could be a two or even three or four player game where ALL players are Mongol generals or princes, and are competing to expand the empire and out-do each other. Or out-do history. Not really a cooperative. And heck, since civil war was not unknown, maybe there would be limited circumstances where the Mongol players could attack (or at least scheme against) each other.

You can see I've thought a lot about this. But I'm not sure there's a game designer in me trying to get out, so I'll share my vision and hope somebody talented and with the time will take this on. If it's REMOTELY decent looking (say, at least as good as Khan), I will pledge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Interesting topic.

I would like a good STRATEGIC level WAR game on the rise of the Mongol Empire. Khan: The Rise of the Mongols has some decent points, but overall it fails. (Yeah, there are tactical games on the Mongols, but tactical is not my bag.)

The main reason Khan fails is the non-Mongol player ("Kingdom") doesn't really make sense. What do the Hungarians and the empires in India and the Sung have in common? Nothing, except the Mongols are after them. And it's no fun playing the Mongol Punching Bag side.

So a GOOD game could possibly be a solitaire one.

I feel like I've mentioned it before, but there's this solitaire one in French... Mongols: La Grande Chevauchée (1194-1294)

Quote:
OR - even better - could be a two or even three or four player game where ALL players are Mongol generals or princes, and are competing to expand the empire and out-do each other. Or out-do history. Not really a cooperative. And heck, since civil war was not unknown, maybe there would be limited circumstances where the Mongol players could attack (or at least scheme against) each other.

You can see I've thought a lot about this. But I'm not sure there's a game designer in me trying to get out, so I'll share my vision and hope somebody talented and with the time will take this on. If it's REMOTELY decent looking (say, at least as good as Khan), I will pledge!

We should talk about this sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
1. A multiplayer CDG with rules comparable to Successors, complexity-wise. Era, location, conflict do not matter as long as the game is not too complex (Clash of Monarchs, I am looking at you) and conveys an epic narrative. I've heard of Pax Romana (OOP?) and its younger sibling, Genesis, but the latter, so I've heard, is too convoluted for what it offers. YMMV but I don't feel like giving it a try (yet?).

If you like Successors, try The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition). It has a similar open option feel and narrative. Our group played Pax Romana a couple times and enjoyed it, but it is a different style game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I mentioned this in another thread somewhere, but I what I really want is a game based on all the weird conspiracy theories from Jade Helm.

You might have scenarios based on specific stories, like "the government takeover of Texas" that explore what that might actually mean and how it would play out.

I also envision a "grand campaign" of sorts where the government player (for lack of a better term) creates a conspiracy from a huge pool of elements and the opposing player has to figure out what's really going on, and then determine a way to stop it.

Of course, Chuck Norris would require his own counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Shane
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm sorry, but Crusade and Revolution is a near flawless game, and my favorite along with World in Flames. It is also highly thought of per its ratings, comments and reviews like Marco's. I have played it more than all my other games combined since purchasing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
sdiberar wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

We should talk about this sometime.

These two posts suddenly did a bing (I get to teach the Mongols to a limited degree in my giant upper-division India, China, and Japan to 1500 course)--have the different princes play the other "Kingdoms," like the Soviets play the West Front Germans like in Battle for Germany or second ed. Mighty Endeavor. I'd buy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
I dream about a truly global strategic treatment of the American War for Independence/Anglo-French War (and including all the minor players like the Spanish and Dutch) running from 1775 to 1783 or thereabouts. Obviously, the Caribbean/North American front and Indian front would be portrayed in more detail, but Gibraltar and European waters need to figure in there somewhere.

Maybe only Joe Miranda would have the gumption to design something like this for Decision Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:

6. ... neither have I heard good things on Crusade and Revolution.

From ... who? Someone who actually played it? Doubtful.

C&R is a great game. Play it and then decide. But also try ¡Arriba España!.

grouchysmurf wrote:

7. Point to point CDG on Peloponnesian War. There is Hellenes but these days I do shun block games--can't really wrap my head around combat resolution (why defenders would hit first, well, alright, whatever). We have Polis, right, but there still is a place for more complex game. I guess.

Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Bolger
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lot of good ideas here. I'm particularly partial to a Yugoslav Civil War COIN game-- that would be fascinating.

I know I'd like to see:

1. A tactical hex-and-counter game about mercenaries in Africa. This is a fascinating subject to me. I know there's a solo game out there on the topic, but this feels like a good area for a bit more on that. Though more of an operational game, and not about mercenaries, Angola tells me there's plenty of potential for more games in this theatre.

2. More scaled down EotS games. As the OP mentioned, EotS is a fantastic system. I really liked South Pacific, and think a similar thing could be done with several other portions of the same war. CBI is a perpetually neglected theatre of war in boardgaming.

3. A modern operational block game. I admit, this is just me wanting to see blocks applied to a genre I like, but with the exception of HoldFast: Korea 1950-1951, I cannot name a block game taking place more recent than the Second World War. Either a Cold War Gone Hot scenario or a Next War scenario would be interesting to me-- partially because modern Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) assets could be employed with some interesting "reveal" results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnhawkwood2010 wrote:
A modern operational block game. I admit, this is just me wanting to see blocks applied to a genre I like, but with the exception of HoldFast: Korea 1950-1951, I cannot name a block game taking place more recent than the Second World War.

You might like Golan:73
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love a grand strategic CDG on the American Civil War using blocks.

Think Fields of Despair meets For the People!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterhawk wrote:

Yeah, please do!

I'd also like to see a good Mongol game.
The best solitaire or near-solitaire beat-the-clock exercise I have seen in this vein is Stephen Newberg's Scourge of God, which is being re-released next year in Paper Wars magazine.
But the semi-coop idea with different princes is interesting too.

Balkans: My tip for the top is Balkans 1941, it moves nicely and is a good time-trial; I've also designed some variants for it (the Italo-Greek War and the Allied invasions of 1943-45 that never were). You should be able to snag a copy cheaply.

As for Yugoslav guerrillas, I prefer Tito to Partizan but someone is making good progress on a GMT COIN system game on the topic.
Keeping my eye on this one.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
johnhawkwood2010 wrote:
Lot of good ideas here. I'm particularly partial to a Yugoslav Civil War COIN game-- that would be fascinating.

I know I'd like to see:

1. A tactical hex-and-counter game about mercenaries in Africa. This is a fascinating subject to me. I know there's a solo game out there on the topic, but this feels like a good area for a bit more on that. Though more of an operational game, and not about mercenaries, Angola tells me there's plenty of potential for more games in this theatre.

3. A modern operational block game. I admit, this is just me wanting to see blocks applied to a genre I like, but with the exception of HoldFast: Korea 1950-1951, I cannot name a block game taking place more recent than the Second World War. Either a Cold War Gone Hot scenario or a Next War scenario would be interesting to me-- partially because modern Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) assets could be employed with some interesting "reveal" results.

1. Most modern-era tactical games could generate scenarios for this kind of thing easily. I mean, it's mostly one set of scruffy-looking light infantry chasing or being chased by another set of better-trained light infantry wearing their old berets (and Iron Crosses on their pajamas, if the legends are true). Firepower, Sniper! Special Forces: Sniper! Companion Game #2 and not sure what-all else (I haven't kept up with this kind of game) deal with the disparity in training and effectiveness well.

3. Urban Operations is this sort of thing, it looks good (I pre-ordered, which I rarely do) and it's coming soon.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a radically streamlined version of Pax Britannica, or something that covered the Neo-imperialist competition between the European Great Powers. (I'd heard rumors that either Phil Eklund or Cole Wehrle were doing a Pax Victoria, which would be fabulous.)

I'd like to see the FAB System used to model a 1980s NATO-Warsaw Pact clash in Germany.

I'd like to see someone come up with a 2-player version of Fields of Fire. (Or possibly a refereed version--I think it wouldn't be the same game without needing to probe to encounter enemy forces.)

I'd like to see someone port the GCACW system to Napoleonics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see an update and reprint of Simulations Canada game Dieppe from 1977. The game is about the ill fated raid on a French port in 1942. It is a solid game so the rules wouldn't need too much tweaking, but, the map and counters are very 1977 looking. I did hear that a reprint was being worked on, however, that was about a decade ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Forse
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:

4. COIN on Bosnian War. If Srebrenica happens, all players lose.

This is something we need -- an in-print, seriously researched, and comprehensive analysis of the conflict.

I'd like to also suggest a COIN-style simulation of a hypothetical second American Civil War emphasizing regional variations, supply, and a national military focused on a counter-insurgency doctrine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
sdiberar wrote:
Quote:
COIN on Roman triumvirate. Enough said.

Why would COIN be a good application here? Perhaps borrowing some of the card mechanics, but a new design would be welcome. Maybe something that scours Trajan: Ancient Wars Series for the good stuff and reforms it into something more coherent.

Good question. I've always thought of this alliance, let's say, as of a struggle--not conducted with military means--for power (political). COIN I find particularly good at depicting conflicts in which exertion of military power is not as important as gaining influences in less bloody ways. In 2nd Triumvirate, in particular, numerous twists and whirls come in abundance and as not always of military nature, so I thought COIN would fit the bill.

sdiberar wrote:
Balkans 1941 is supposed to be pretty good.

Thanks, will take a look.

Misterhawk wrote:
From ... who? Someone who actually played it? Doubtful.

Friend of mine, a fellow whose opinion I respect.

Misterhawk wrote:

grouchysmurf wrote:

I am to order this but I don't think it would be exactly what I merely outlined above. Isn't it basically a Churchill but with the ancient theme? If so, I expect no hexes genuine CDG? and while I am sure I will enjoy I still need to wait for a genuine hex & counter another game on this subject.

EDIT: I guess I am wrong as Pericles is said to be more wargamey even though it shares the same basic framework.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Bolger
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:

1. Most modern-era tactical games could generate scenarios for this kind of thing easily. I mean, it's mostly one set of scruffy-looking light infantry chasing or being chased by another set of better-trained light infantry wearing their old berets (and Iron Crosses on their pajamas, if the legends are true). Firepower, Sniper! Special Forces: Sniper! Companion Game #2 and not sure what-all else (I haven't kept up with this kind of game) deal with the disparity in training and effectiveness well.

3. Urban Operations is this sort of thing, it looks good (I pre-ordered, which I rarely do) and it's coming soon.

Brian

Brian,

Thank you for the recommendations. Urban Operations looks excellent.

muaddib1 wrote:
You might like Golan:73

D'oh! I'd totally forgotten about Golan. Haven't played it, though I have played (and enjoyed) FAB: Sicily. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
I'd like to see a radically streamlined version of Pax Britannica,

Isn't someone working on a new edition? Or did I dream that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:

Misterhawk wrote:

grouchysmurf wrote:

I am to order this but I don't think it would be exactly what I merely outlined above. Isn't it basically a Churchill but with the ancient theme? If so, I expect no hexes and while I am sure I will enjoy I still need to wait for a genuine hex & counter game on this subject.

You asked for a point-to-point CDG, so no hexes fits the bill. Pericles is not strictly a CDG, but it is much more warlike than Churchill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.