Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Clash of Cultures» Forums » General

Subject: Tacky paintjobs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey hey,

I've been painting the miniatures, and I've noticed the models of the soliders are tacky after painting. Any thoughts on how to remedy? I've given them plenty of time to dry and varnished but they still feel sticky. I can't face stripping the paint as then I know I'll never repaint...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you prime them before painting? what type/brand of paint did you use?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That happens sometimes, don't know why. Buy some artists sealant spray for chalk or charcoal and spray them with that. Works like a charm.

blunder1983 wrote:
Hey hey,

I've been painting the miniatures, and I've noticed the models of the soliders are tacky after painting. Any thoughts on how to remedy? I've given them plenty of time to dry and varnished but they still feel sticky. I can't face stripping the paint as then I know I'll never repaint...

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool I'll try that

Yep undercoated then layered up with Citadel paint. Also the buildings are totally fine, no effect on those at all its just the miniatures representing people that suck
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
Cool I'll try that

Yep undercoated then layered up with Citadel paint. Also the buildings are totally fine, no effect on those at all its just the miniatures representing people that suck


interesting. When the 1st printing was released and the yellow set started "sweating" after a while, it was the minis representing organisms/ships that were the problem, not those for the buildings. Wonder why there is such a difference!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you clean the mini with soap/water first to remove any of the mold release chemicals before priming?

Do you live somewhere humid, or was it rainy when you painted? I live in Seattle, and have to be very careful about when I paint. It definitely has an effect. I've had to simplegreen more than one mini and redo the paintjob simply because I painted on a particularly humid day.

If either of these is the reason, you have to strip and repaint. In fact, there's not really any scenario I can think of where that wouldn't be the case.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boombastix
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
They playin'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:
Cool I'll try that

Yep undercoated then layered up with Citadel paint. Also the buildings are totally fine, no effect on those at all its just the miniatures representing people that suck


interesting. When the 1st printing was released and the yellow set started "sweating" after a while, it was the minis representing organisms/ships that were the problem, not those for the buildings. Wonder why there is such a difference!


Yep, the yellow army/ship pieces that I Citadel primed/painted months ago are now very sticky and rubbery. Does anyone have a specific solution? I've tried a generic matt sealant spray that didn't work at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I've had paint jobs go tacky I've found the best solution is PVA glue. I brush it on like varnish and it dries clear and gives them a nice hard coat. It's often necessary to do two coats to get full coverage so is fairly time consuming. I've tried quite a few different methods, but this is the only one that works long term - everything else I tried went tacky again after a while
3 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boombastix
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
They playin'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaled100 wrote:
Whenever I've had paint jobs go tacky I've found the best solution is PVA glue. I brush it on like varnish and it dries clear and gives them a nice hard coat. It's often necessary to do two coats to get full coverage so is fairly time consuming. I've tried quite a few different methods, but this is the only one that works long term - everything else I tried went tacky again after a while


PVA glue? Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try!

UPDATE: Put it on, let it dry and... Fixed! Works great!!

Thanks for the tip!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could help. I too was really dubious at first, but it does seem to work and mine haven't gone tacky again - it's been the best part of a year and they're still fine. Every other method I tried went tacky again after a matter of days.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.