Subject: Development tiles too weak? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tee Cee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,
I was interested in Rhodes, but I keep reading about the development tiles being too weak to bother with, compared to focusing on other aspects (shipping/goods)?

Can anyone with experience possibly comment?
Many thanks,
Tony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try it with the advanced rules which removes the money bonus from assignments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tee Cee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the reply. Have you tried that? And is that an official variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Indeed you can try out the expert variant Hermes. It is an official variant to the game. It increases the game duration, but it makes it more strategic indeed.

Please check out our Rhodes page with links to the rules, three expert variants and a FAQ list: http://www.thegamemaster.nl/en/games-rhodes.htm

Or go directly to this link:http://www.thegamemaster.nl/downloads/Rules/Rhodes%20-%203%2...

Much enjoyment with the game. Also, I can inform you that we will be adding a few tiles to the basic game in the next reprint this summer. Furthermore with the expansion to Rhodes, The Colossus, the game will in it self definitely will become more strategic.

Hans van Tol
The Game Master
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tee Cee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Hans,
thanks for the reply - much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Hans,

Any chance of an upgrade/expansion pack for owners of the first printing?

Thanks. Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Hans,

Any chance of an upgrade/expansion pack for owners of the first printing?

Thanks. Jonathan

Seconded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Dear Jonathan,

I cannot promise this, unfortunately. In fact Rhodes as it is, has a good solid flow. When you remove the money revenue it gets a bit slower, but more a development game and thus there are more options. The game is a light expert though. Its duration and its interaction, contribute to the beauty and enjoyment of the game.

With the expansion, "heavy gamers" get NEW strategic options and an improved scoring on game strategies with less interaction in genearl. The duration of the game increases to 1,5-2 hours. The expansion is going to be about 19 euros, so accessible in money. So, it is a matter of choice, of taste, if you want to play a game with more "solo-play" options or if you prefer to play with higher interaction.

I know this could not be the answer you would like to get, but I'd rather be honest with you. The choice of a less heavy game has been made by the designer and the editor, to have an enjoyable, accessible light expert. If you want more... use one of the variants or buy the Colossus:).

Hans van Tol - The Game Master

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Brainmaster wrote:
Much enjoyment with the game. Also, I can inform you that we will be adding a few tiles to the basic game in the next reprint this summer. Furthermore with the expansion to Rhodes, The Colossus, the game will in it self definitely will become more strategic.

If a 1st edition owner buys the colossus expansion, will those new tiles from the 2nd edition be included?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Brainmaster wrote:

If a 1st edition owner buys the colossus expansion, will those new tiles from the 2nd edition be included?

Dear Richard (and others),

You've got a good point here, we should take into account. Even though the expansion brings you more options (and you might not be needing these additional tiles), we need to consider this to make sure everybody will be able to enjoy these additional options in the game. Especially including the first buyers. An update on this will come later. There should be more info on this in June (next month).

Best Regards,
Hans van Tol - The Game Master
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed the game and think it works really well at larger player counts where you have to purchase the "3 capacity" ship.

I've tried the variants, the first using all tiles is a must in my opinion. And the third variant where you start with one fewer ship is interesting. There is definitely something slightly askew with the money balance across the actions but the second variant dropping the monetary rewards for an assignment just stops money coming into the game rather than making the development tiles more appealing. You're even less likely to pay 10+ for one. Maybe a uniform 4 drachma per assignment?

I wonder if the development tiles should be about 2 or even 3 drachma less therefore making them more desirable. The large ship should remain at 10 as it quickly pays for itself. Also extra farms could be 2 drachma less also so making them 8, 12 & 15.

I think the game is good but with some money tweaking it could be very good.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
baldwing wrote:
I've really enjoyed the game and think it works really well at larger player counts where you have to purchase the "3 capacity" ship...

... I think the game is good but with some money tweaking it could be very good.

Any thoughts?

Hi Gary,

Good to hear that using all tiles works out well for you. This is a variant which gives more time to develop and brings more depth into the game. Simply use all 15 assignment tiles in a game. The duration is about 10-15 minutes, but the scoring possibilities of your farm increase.

About your remark regarding the money, I can tell you that we are testing three different development tiles. One of them gives a discount if you buy new tiles. Also we are testing tiles which bring more VP if you have development tiles.

Indeed you do not want to slow down the game too much with a variant in which you do not get any money from assignments.

In the expansion to Rhodes, The Colossus, we will add even more options to the game. Including ways to increase the revenue of the development tiles.

Would it be a good idea to provide a file on BGG which you can download to have the additional tiles for the basic version, once we have finalized testing? Please let me know.

Hans van Tol
The Game Master
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, actually, letting people who already own Rhodes playtest the new ideas is a very good one - you will get good testers and if they like the changes, they will help you promote the game/expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Yes, actually, letting people who already own Rhodes playtest the new ideas is a very good one - you will get good testers and if they like the changes, they will help you promote the game/expansion.

Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for your positive feedback. I will be talking with the designer this week. We will see what we can do to offer "more depth" and strategic options to the current game. These will probably be called the expert tiles. If we have tested them ourselves we will bring them online on this page.
Best Regards,
Hans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.