Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, OK, you got me convinced laugh

However, I see that for a little more (well, given the base price) than the standard edition I can get the Kickstarter Edition with minis.

Just to clarify: I do not paint minis (I'm unable to paint a wall with a paint roller). So, having cardboard monsters could actually be more... colourful.

Are there any other goodies in the KS Edition worth mentioning? (Or flaws, like a manual or other components in need of errata?)

Please, answer fast! After DMing a D&D campaign that lasted for 13 years I feel that this is exactly the game I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is basically no difference between the retail and kickstarter version if you go for the version with the minis except a note from the designer.

The only "kickstarter exclusive" version is actually the one with standees for the heroes as the retail version just has the minis (which seems counterintuitive to what most kickstarters do and I guess that's why there is confusion sometimes).

So if you can get the game now for a good price, whatever version it is, I'd go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Eckels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Standard version has minis. There is a kickstarter version with cardboard standees instead of minis for the characters, but that should be cheaper.

The only thing the kickstarter version has over standard is a thank you note that has a decoder key. It's a nice bonus. I would consider paying one more dollar for it, but not more than that. Standee (still kickstarter) version should be a fair amount cheaper but even as a fellow non-painter I appreciate that minis differentiate the heroes and enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get minis for the heroes the monsters are all standees.

The only difference between the KS and retail versions was a thank you note that included a cypher to work out a secret message apparently. Not far into our campaign so not sure what that is all about, but I do not think it effects the gameplay in way.

(In the original KS campaign there was an option for a version with standees for the heroes too, with an option to add on the minis if you like, but I do not think that is being offered in the new KS campaign when that launches).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you got it backwards.

There were 3 versions of Gloomhaven produced:

1.) Kickstarter only version without minis but standees for the 17 player characters including a special "thank you" note from the designer.

2.) Kickstarter only version with minis for the 17 player characters including a special "thank you" note from the desinger.

3.) Preorder and retail version with minis for the 17 player characters but excluding the special "thank you" note from the desinger.

Besides that all versions are identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyegleam wrote:

1.) Kickstarter only version without minis but standees for the 17 player characters including a special "thank you" note from the designer.

2.) Kickstarter only version with minis for the 17 player characters including a special "thank you" note from the desinger.

3.) Preorder and retail version with minis for the 17 player characters but excluding the special "thank you" note from the desinger.

Thank you all. I asked because both in my FLGS and online I see that the "Kickstarter Version with Minis" costs more than the Retail Version. Is it, maybe, because the former is a collector's item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
You have a FLGS that has *more than one copy* of this game in stock? Lucky you. What store is this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is it, maybe, because the former is a collector's item?

No as mentioned above the only difference is the A5 size bit of paper thank you note.

The problem you will probably have is trying to actually find a copy at a reasonable price as, if you are not aware, less than 2500 made it to retail whilst there were over 25000 ordered by distributors/FLGS around the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesca Campofredano
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to know which is the FLGS as well, Italy is a small country after all :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reckall wrote:
Eyegleam wrote:

Thank you all. I asked because both in my FLGS and online I see that the "Kickstarter Version with Minis" costs more than the Retail Version. Is it, maybe, because the former is a collector's item?

The "Kickstarter version with mini" is the "Retail Version"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lopresti wrote:
I want to know which is the FLGS as well, Italy is a small country after all :-)

Excalibur Games in Milan had one copy of the Retail version last week for 300 Euro. I see that 300 Euro is on the average for the Retail, while the Kickstarter one goes up to 350 Euro (and more!) here on BBG - so I was puzzled.

Of course I judged 300 Euro as being too much for a game. Then Marco Arnaudo published his review, I checked some other reviews/impressions, and I discovered that it could be the game I'm looking for since a long time - and totally worth the price. So I took the plunge and ordered it on the GeekMarket (I didn't phone Excalibur, but I guess that their copy has already disappeared ninja)

Edit: No, my FLGS had only one Retail copy, but the price was about the same that you can find, on the average, on the GeekMarket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belborough wrote:
if you are not aware, less than 2500 made it to retail whilst there were over 25000 ordered by distributors/FLGS around the world.

wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
Reckall wrote:
Eyegleam wrote:

The "Kickstarter version with mini" is the "Retail Version"

Except for the thank you note... the post you quoted was more accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, 300 Euro??? That seems really pricey. If you have patience, a second printing is being Kickstarted in April. You'll have to wait 6 months to a year for fulfillment, but it won't ding your pocket book so much.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh S
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
shnar wrote:
Wow, 300 Euro??? That seems really pricey. If you have patience, a second printing is being Kickstarted in April. You'll have to wait 6 months to a year for fulfillment, but it won't ding your pocket book so much.

-shnar
Actually, the reprint is supposed to be finished ~August for Gen Con. Isaac is starting production DURING the Kickstarter. So, 6 months from NOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpa Gia
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I just got the standee version and am now using plastic coloured minis from my D&D collection for the characters.

I have neither the patience nor the eyesight for painting :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Isch
United States
chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac set a ks date of March 30th in his latest letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, to reiterate: There will be a Kickstarter for a reprint this month!

No point in paying 300 Euros in my eyes, when you will be able to get it for MRSP in about 5-6 months. But of course your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

No point in paying 300 Euros in my eyes, when you will be able to get it for MRSP in about 5-6 months. But of course your mileage may vary.

Alas, too late: it is already here... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Thane
England
Brough
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up the Tigers
mbmbmbmbmb
Reckall wrote:
Gswp wrote:

Ah, well look on the bright side, at least you will be able to play the extra content that Issac is going to release during the new KS campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belborough wrote:
Reckall wrote:
Gswp wrote:

Ah, well look on the bright side, at least you will be able to play the extra content that Issac is going to release during the new KS campaign

Honestly, after opening the box and playing the first scenario, €300 looked like a fair price wow This is the game I was waiting for since... dunno... Magic Realm. I'm not regretting my expense a bit.

Out of curiosity, what would have been a fair price for the Retail version (i.e. If you hadn't helped to kickstart it)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Scholz
Germany
Gütersloh
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MSRP was at 120$ I think but for the european market I would consider anything below 150€ "fair".

And by "fair" I mean not beeing scalped by someone who tries to get as much money as he can out of your impatience. Component-wise I think this game would worth something in the vicinity of 200€. (The last part is obviously very subjective)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snooches wrote:
MSRP was at 120$ I think but for the european market I would consider anything below 150€ "fair".

And by "fair" I mean not beeing scalped by someone who tries to get as much money as he can out of your impatience. Component-wise I think this game would worth something in the vicinity of 200€. (The last part is obviously very subjective)

Well, consider me "scalped"

However, here in Italy, the game + sipping expenses (about 8 kgwould have been about €250. Considering (how I wrote) that both what is inside the box, and the level of support by the producer is worth the additional €50, and I'm not unhappy.

To put things in context, my GF loves Arkham Horror, and for her Birthday I bought Eldricht Horror and a couple of expansions. Then Gloomhaven arrived and they are still skinswrapped.

tl;dr: Ok, maybe I was scalped, but it was totally worth it.

Edit: for typos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.