Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Cupping Cards and Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Hey Folks,

Recently had my copy of Gloomhaven arrive (the same day I saw their doing a reprint!), bought it from a store in the States, paid quite a bit for it. So anyway I have it opened up and laid out, getting the first campaign going but I'm going through that buyers remorse phase, wondering should I try to sell it, make most of my money back possibly.. and go in on the re print of course. I'd have to get about $350 CDN plus shipping, don't know if this is possible with a opened game, reprint on the way.

Anyway I noticed that a bunch of cards and monster sheets started cupping (curling up) where I had them laid out on the table overnight. Is this a normal thing? Even the manual, scenario book, character sheets are doing it. You can push em in the middle and cup em the other way too.

Yep just wanted to run these thoughts by the community to get some second opinions.

Thanks!
Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't experienced the cupping, but after I punched out everything I pretty much immediately put everything back in the box (hey, I was tired it took me like 2 hours!). Also, I pretty much take cards out for their purpose then immediately put them back in the box so they are almost always really tightly packed.

As for buyers remorse, it's tough. I would evaluate how much you can make (which I haven't researched but if the ads I see on BGG are correct seems to be only about $20+shipping more than the reprint will cost ($100 including shipping US). Then you are receiving that amount (whatever it is, my estimate is totally lazy with basically no research) in exchange for delaying your play of the game by... I dunno 4-6 months?

So that's your trade off if you are sure you want to ultimately own Gloomhaven. Which I assume is true because you are in these forums and see how much we all love it. IMO, it would be too much hassle for the money you would save. PLUS, depending how often you are able to play, this game could take you 2 years to finish. (That's how long my 4 player group will probably take, playing one session every 2 weeks. My solo campaign will certainly take months less than that.) Then my question is, will those 6 months you are delayed cause you to want to rush the end when 2.5 years from now some crazy new game comes out that you want to get? Also, there will be an expansion for Gloomhaven in under two years. So factor that in as well.

TLDR: The difference between what you can sell an opened copy for and the price of the reprint ($100 US) is probably not worth the opportunity cost of time you are delayed (4-6 months estimate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check ebay prices and you will get a better idea. Based on current listings it is going anywhere from 220 to 350 USD for an in shrink copy. Plus ebay, BGG, and PayPal will all take their share of the pie as well. It is doubtful that you will get what you are looking for with that in mind.

Since it is already open, you may as well play the game a time or two before letting the remorse set in completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you play it you will regret nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Williams
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you upload a photo of the cupping cards here? There's a very slight curl to mine (seemingly insignificant) and I just put them in sleeves (which I was going to do anyways) so it doesn't happen anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Well thanks for all the advice and support, much appreciated! The cupping cards still bug me a bit. I know the game will be awesome and I'll probably forget about it pretty quick, but sleeves sound like a good idea. Wheres a good place to order them in Canada, what am I looking for?

Okay I've attempted to upload some images. The worst is the player cards which I can "pop" one way or the other.

Thanks,
Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't experienced any cupping yet. Do you live in a humid area? My area is typically very very dry (Arizona).

Sorry to hear about the troubles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whereabouts in Canada are you - I'm in Calgary and the dry air here sometimes plays merry hell with non-acclimatized cardstock. Mine hasn't suffered anything though.

Maybe it was a damp climate where you got it from.

Either way - keep it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed this most in the Random Dungeon deck, and one particular Road Event card did it too, but not the others.

I guess the Monster Stat cards do it too, but I never notice because they just go in the monster sleeves. Haven't had this problem with any other cards, though I swear that some card type was doing this when I finished my organizer last night and was transferring all the cards... I can't remember exactly but I would guess it was the Random Items...?

The usual cause for this is a humid environment. Or, taking cards from a humid environment and putting them in a very dry one without having pressure on the cards. Though the change is usually only noticeable in cards that have two different materials involved in their construction (so 'foil' or shiny cards in MtG or the various other Trading Card Games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Well my current theory is that they dried out quickly when I took them out of the box, the wood stove I had blazing is only about 25 feet away. I've had the cards under pressure for about half the day, seems to be helping.

And thanks again for all the advice, I'll definitely be keeping it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Warren
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My city event cards came cupped even while they were still in the shrink wrapping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My city and road event cards are about as curled as yours.

It doesn't bother me as it has zero affect on gameplay.

The monster stat cards will go into envelopes, which should eliminate any curling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
my cards had a small bend aswell, but once sleeved it gone away pretty fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Well my friend and I just did the first couple scenarios last night, all worries about cupping cards and spending too much money gone. Such a good game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACBez wrote:
Well my friend and I just did the first couple scenarios last night, all worries about cupping cards and spending too much money gone. Such a good game!!

Glad you enjoyed it! It's rapidly closing in on Space Alert for "most time invested in a board game". (I've played about 150 missions of Space Alert)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.