Paolo Maiello
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I have just played Clank! for the first time as a two-players game and I have a couple of comments to make about the game.

1) I play cards from my hand, some have different symbols on each of them. I use some of the Skill resource to buy a card from the Dungeon Row, I use a boot from a card to move to the next chamber. I use one sword to get rid of an Animated Door. Now I need to look back at the cards I have played to check how many resources of the different type I have left before I plan my next action and need to look around at the cards I have purchased/monsters I have killed to figure it out. It feels a bit clumsy and not very streamlined.

2) At later stages of the game most of the cards available in the Dungeon Row don't look very important and I ended up buying some I didn't really need, just because I didn't want to waste all the Skill symbols on the cards I played.

Is there anyone that has the same impression?

Of course, I have only played the game once so I might be missing some strategy aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1- like most deck building games. There's a file in the file section, with printable tracker if you feel it would be better

2- again like most deck building games, a great part of the strategy is to know when and what to buy. And also when not to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards you play should be placed in front of you in the "play area" (not in your discard)
So it is easy to track what to do with what you have.
Most of times you can literally just lay the cards in front of you sorted by the resource type they give. Then you look at them and figure how to spend each resource.
When your turn is done, throw the cards in discard pile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Maiello
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
1- like most deck building games. There's a file in the file section, with printable tracker if you feel it would be better

2- again like most deck building games, a great part of the strategy is to know when and what to buy. And also when not to buy.

1) The trackers are exactly what I needed. I wasn't aware of their existence. Very helpful.

2) I think you are right on that. Deciding not to buy would also speed up the turn, and avoid possible dragon attacks.

I haven't played many deckbuilders before so thank you for the help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nextsaturday wrote:
haplo92 wrote:

1) The trackers are exactly what I needed. I wasn't aware of their existence. Very helpful.

2) I think you are right on that. Deciding not to buy would also speed up the turn, and avoid possible dragon attacks.

I haven't played many deckbuilders before so thank you for the help :)

At some point you will want to buy just VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
1) There aren't too many resources to keep track of. Boots, skills, swords, money. I haven't felt the need to use a tracker but that would help if you find it clumsy.

2) If cards won't help you then it often doesn't make sense to buy anything from the dungeon row. If I have a lot of clank in the bag I'll often avoid buying a card to avoid triggering a dragon attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I like to use my spare clank cubes to mark the resources I have already used on the cards by covering them. Obviously this wouldn't work too well if you have too much clank in the bag. However, more often than not, I have enough spare clank to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoot McToot
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:
The cards you play should be placed in front of you in the "play area" (not in your discard)
Most of times you can literally just lay the cards in front of you sorted by the resource type they give. Then you look at them and figure how to spend each resource.

This is what I do, I lay my whole hand out and work out what I have. For example, I lay it out and I say I have 2 movement, 1 fighty power and 3 skill. It's not that hard to remember. This is simpler than many deck builders as you just play everything at once. You're not having to play cards in any tactical order.

Also, for point 2, wasting skill is better than cluttering your deck with junk. I've lost several times as I'd bought too much and couldn't get my movement cards out. You can't go wrong with spending it on movement cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Maiello
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hootmctoot wrote:
MVashM wrote:

This is what I do, I lay my whole hand out and work out what I have. For example, I lay it out and I say I have 2 movement, 1 fighty power and 3 skill. It's not that hard to remember. This is simpler than many deck builders as you just play everything at once. You're not having to play cards in any tactical order.

Also, for point 2, wasting skill is better than cluttering your deck with junk. I've lost several times as I'd bought too much and couldn't get my movement cards out. You can't go wrong with spending it on movement cards.

Yes, after a few more plays, I realized that is not that difficult to track the icons on the card I have just played down in front of me. It is just a matter of getting into the swing of things...

As for your comment about point 2, I absolutely agree with that. I too ended up with a deck without enough movement cards at one point. shake
So if you can't buy smart, best not to buy at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.