Subject: Punching counters : advices for newbie ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Narff
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all !
Well, it will be a silly question, but since I'm pretty new to wargames, and since I don't own the "perfect solution for counter clipping" for now (see here https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/753278/implementing-perfect... and https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1741079/good-corner-cutter-... ), I wondered if there were some "tricks" that experienced wargamers knew & were using when they are punching counters of a new wargame.

I'm asking this to limit as much as possible the need of clipping counters (some have... not very aesthetic-punched counters), and too because I only punched three wargames for now, and each time I was really afraid to damage the counters :S (and after that, I'm afraid to damage them if they're not perfect "squares")
And finally, would a nail clipper be sufficient to limit the damages ?
I really can't afford to buy a lot of games, so I want them to last as much as possible and I would like to avoid the purchase of pricey material

Please forgive my english and the chaotic questions
Thanks in advance for any advice !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Punching counters : advices for newby ?
You seem a bit stressed out about it - which is the exact opposite of what you should do when punching counters : be gentle and patient. And remember they're pieces of cardboard meant to be played with, not pristine collector's items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Be very, very careful punching out ANY Decision Games product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this guide very helpful.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37769/how-clip-your-count...
(Bonus points for not needing expensive special equipment)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Don't punch them out, cut them out. Use an X-Acto/hobby knife to cut the rows of counters from the frame. Then use the knife to separate each counter from its row.

The extent to which this is necessary can vary from game to game depending on the quality of the die cutting. Often it's just corners and nubs you need to cut. The point is don't just "punch them out" because that tends to turn into tearing them out and you end up with the unsightly frayed corners everybody wants to clip off. Cut them out and you can avoid most of the fraying issue without resorting to clipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
SOLITAIRE
badge
WARGAMER
mbmbmbmbmb
RitterFips wrote:

All good except for the octagon shape as a result of using fingernail clipper. My suggestion is to invest in an Oregon Deluxe Corner Rounder (2.5mm is the preference for most) and you will be rewarded in dividends of pure aesthetic wargaming joy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The might be an option over the pond, but here in Europe they can cost 140€ and more. Too expensive for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narff
France
flag msg tools
mb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
You seem a bit stressed out about it - which is the exact opposite of what you should do when punching counters : be gentle and patient.

Yeah, price of games and lack of experience makes me a bit stressful, that's why I finally decided to ask for some opinion & advice
I'm really gentle with my games, and especially when I try to punch a new one, but punching counters of a wargame... is in the same time pleasant (yeah, lot of counters !) and frightening (beware of not hurting any !).
It's especially stressful when they don't want to detach easily and that you lack experience : "Is this normal ?! Will I ruin this whole bunch of counters ?!". But concerning this, I'll follow the advice from RitterFips : next time I think I'll simply use one X-Acto knife like in the guide if there's any issue.
eddy_sterckx wrote:
And remember they're pieces of cardboard meant to be played with, not pristine collector's items.

That may be stupid, but I really needed to hear that Thank you !

catosulla wrote:
Be very, very careful punching out ANY Decision Games product!

Oh I see, I'll be really careful if I'll buy one, thanks for the warning !

RitterFips wrote:

Yeah, this guide seems really useful ! I saw it and kept the idea of the nail clipper, but now I think I'll get an X-Acto knife too, it seems to help a lot. I don't know if I'll do the clipping, but at least pre-cut the counters, and having a nail clipper to adjust some bad punched sounds pretty nice (and not expensive which is a big +1).

Thanks both of you for the help !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narff
France
flag msg tools
mb
rayofsunshine wrote:
Don't punch them out, cut them out. Use an X-Acto/hobby knife to cut the rows of counters from the frame. Then use the knife to separate each counter from its row.

The extent to which this is necessary can vary from game to game depending on the quality of the die cutting. Often it's just corners and nubs you need to cut. The point is don't just "punch them out" because that tends to turn into tearing them out and you end up with the unsightly frayed corners everybody wants to clip off. Cut them out and you can avoid most of the fraying issue without resorting to clipping.

That's exactly the conclusion where I finally arrived with the others answers (and my limited experience), so thanks for confirming it.
It seems indeed to be the best solution for having clear counters, and not needing to clip them. So I think I'll go this way
Any advice concerning "unsightly frayed corners" when you have some ? My idea is to try to correct it with nail clipper : is there a better way ?

smic wrote:
[...]
All good except for the octagon shape as a result of using fingernail clipper. My suggestion is to invest in an Oregon Deluxe Corner Rounder (2.5mm is the preference for most) and you will be rewarded in dividends of pure aesthetic wargaming joy!

Well, clipping in octogon isn't planned for now : currently I mainly feel the need of having "clean" counters, clipped isn't needed (I know, I'm an heretic for the moment ), but maybe later and then, if I want to clip them, I think I'll go round, not octogon And be aware that Oregon Deluxe Corner Rounder are very hard to find in Europe, and especially at decent price (which is a concern for me).

RitterFips wrote:
The might be an option over the pond, but here in Europe they can cost 140€ and more. Too expensive for me.

Exactly XD But it seems that you can sometimes find at more affordable prices (see here : https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25282090#25282090 ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah good to know. When i looked for those things i was shocked by the prices and immediately crossed them from my want-to-by-list. 40€ including shipping does not sound bad at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narff
France
flag msg tools
mb
RitterFips wrote:
Ah good to know. When i looked for those things i was shocked by the prices and immediately crossed them from my want-to-by-list. 40€ including shipping does not sound bad at all.

Yes, but be warned that I don't know if it's official Oregon Deluxe Corner Rounder or another brand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Get a Swann Morton scalpel and some 10A blades and you will live a happy and prosperous life.

http://www.swann-morton.com/product/123.php

I say avoid nail clippers and trim tufts with your scalpel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
narff wrote:
Any advice concerning "unsightly frayed corners" when you have some ? My idea is to try to correct it with nail clipper : is there a better way ?

For the few bad corners I get (usually the result of misjudging how easily the counters are separating and skipping the knife) I simply use the X-Acto knife again. The idea is to remove as little material as possible to clean it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for an x-acto knife. And be sure to look at the back of each counter sheet. Some sheets look like they are punched really well from the front only to find that the back wasn't cut completely. You can pull the back of a counter off if you don't see that before you start.

Most problems can be avoided by being careful and using a good, sharp x-acto knife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayofsunshine wrote:

thumbsup SAGE ADVICE-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
SOLITAIRE
badge
WARGAMER
mbmbmbmbmb
moujamou wrote:
Get a Swann Morton scalpel and some 10A blades and you will live a happy and prosperous life.

http://www.swann-morton.com/product/123.php

I say avoid nail clippers and trim tufts with your scalpel.

And besides, you can do surgery on the side when not wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Forse
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people cut them out but I've never done that. Maybe if I get something really special and old I will.

If two are stuck together, I usually lay them flat and pull them apart. Otherwise I punch from the front and pull the excess holding card away with gentle non-twisting motions. Most of my collection is GMT games though so I may have it easy. Rarely does anything delaminate or tear. If some layers come apart, I apply some PVA glue with a toothpick.

If you cut then clipping probably isn't necessarily. Since I punch, I also clip. I made a jig by sanding off the corner of a slim CD case. The result holds the counter and allows a small corner to protrude. A straight-edged nail clipper work pretty well for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narff
France
flag msg tools
mb
moujamou wrote:

http://www.swann-morton.com/product/123.php [...]

May I ask... why this over an X-Acto knife ? And... where do you purchase this kind of things ? XD

rayofsunshine wrote:
narff wrote:

For the few bad corners I get (usually the result of misjudging how easily the counters are separating and skipping the knife) I simply use the X-Acto knife again. The idea is to remove as little material as possible to clean it up.

Ok thanks ! So X-Acto it will be then ! Any advice for the operation ?

gocamels wrote:
+1 for an x-acto knife. And be sure to look at the back of each counter sheet. Some sheets look like they are punched really well from the front only to find that the back wasn't cut completely. You can pull the back of a counter off if you don't see that before you start.

Most problems can be avoided by being careful and using a good, sharp x-acto knife.

Okay, noted ! Thanks for sahring your experience & (good) advices.

With everything you said all, I think an X-Acto knife will be my absolutely needed friend when I'll welcome a new game, or to correct mistakes
Now I have to buy one (if I don't have already one somewhere), but this should be very easy to find
Oh, any advice on the shape of the blade of the X-Acto ?

Thanks again to everyone who helped and answered to this thread !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
narff wrote:
moujamou wrote:

http://www.swann-morton.com/product/123.php [...]

May I ask... why this over an X-Acto knife ? And... where do you purchase this kind of things ? XD

I suppose the one is a good as the other. I've used the swann scalpel a lot for making models of buildings and wouldn't consider using a different knife. Preference really. For blade shape, look at the 10A scalpel blade. It's the one for the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narff
France
flag msg tools
mb
moujamou wrote:
I suppose the one is a good as the other. I've used the swann scalpel a lot for making models of buildings and wouldn't consider using a different knife. Preference really. For blade shape, look at the 10A scalpel blade. It's the one for the job.

Oh, ok ! Well, I take note

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Never clipped with anything but a nail clippers. Punched with careful bending of the cardboard (had a few bad experiences with other methods laugh ). It you are careful punching, you will have nothing to worry about. Nail clippers works fine, even you you get the odd octagon, as smic puts it.

Like anything in like, you get better with time and experience. Here are some of mine, probably will cause a few heart attacks among our clipping aficionados cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor A
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm not fond of X-acto type razors. The paper tears easily, and the blades get dull quickly when cutting paper.

I love using a rotary cutter for quickly and safely slicing up counter sheets. You can buy one in most stores that sell sewing supplies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sterner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't listen to people recommending knives to cut out counters. The best and safest thing is a good pair of scissors. I've used scissors ever since I kept experiencing knife slips and counter damage with x-acto knives. You'll inevitably slip. Scissors much less so, and there's just a better sense of control with them. Heed this well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Been cutting out my counters with an X-Acto knife since the early 70's.
Leaves them nice and square. The way Charles Roberts intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
For God's sake, it's a game.

1) Punch.
2) Play.

Less thinking, more doing. Nobody gives a damn about your corners when they're head-down over the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.