Subject: 3D printed insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
merijn coudeville
Belgium
varsenare
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been designing my own 3D printed insert for gloomhaven.
but now i started to ask prices for pieces i get ridiculous prices.
does anyone have expierence with this?
some screenshots below...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Bieberbach
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've dabbled in 3D printing and one thing my experience has shown me is that it is freaking slow. I think a job like yours with a lot of pieces, some of them rather large, would take a very long time to print and so it would be expensive. I just ordered a part for my CNC router that is about 8" x 4" x 4" that cost ~$80. Print time was 16 hours. I have access to a decent 3D printer and I decided it would be worth it for me to just pay the nice man.

Probably a better solution for something like this is to get it laser cut from 1/8" mdf. That should be significantly cheaper, probably in the $30 range. That's the way I'd do it.

Foam core is another option but you would be doing it yourself. It's not hard though and there are some very good guides online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just opt in for Meeple Realtys new organizer, and call it a day.

http://www.meeplerealty.com/store/p92/Gloomhaven_Town_%28Com...™%29.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(PSN) SilentSniper_X_
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah. Looking at your images, that would be a lot of machine time to 3d print which then equates to a lot of money. You have to remember, each layer a 3d printer prints tends to be .1 mm or smaller. Also a 3d print bed of the size you are looking for is probably not that common.

I would second what Kurt said. Get some 1/4" MDF or birch ply and lay out your parts so they slot into each other to aid in assembly. Then get it laser cut or C&C routed. Machine time for that should be relatively low. I was able to get eleven 6" x 48" sheets of balsa and birch ply laser cut with intricate parts in about an hour for an RC plane I'm working on. A 2' x 4' piece of 1/4" mdf was laser cut in about a half an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Realizing of course inserts are a premium product anyway it still saddens me to see the pricing compare closely to the price of the actual game

Looks like a nice set though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
heretic_dave wrote:
Realizing of course inserts are a premium product anyway it still saddens me to see the pricing compare closely to the price of the actual game

Looks like a nice set though.

That's not really a fair comparison though.

Couple things to consider:

-The game was severely underpriced considering what's in it. Prices are going up for the next printing.

-10,000 copies of the game were made. That sort of quantity results in big discounts.

-The game was made in China, which is way cheaper to produce in.

Imagine if you were to try to get everything in the box made as just a one off at a printer/3d printer somewhere in the states. It would be in the many hundreds of dollars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
merijn coudeville
Belgium
varsenare
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I asked price for the bottom part,
i've got different price but al around 600€..

i can get my own 3d printer for that...

i hope 3D printing gets cheaper soon!
anyhow, i will probably use these to make foamcore insert.
i'll have a look at the insert by the company's name i forgot, but i think i will pass on that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
merijn wrote:

i'll have a look at the insert by the company's name i forgot, but i think i will pass on that...

You can get a 3D printer for that, but not one that could print that part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Michael Bridge
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
use the right tool for the right job. from the posted pictures, that would be cheaper (and faster) to produce as a laser cut insert than 3d printed. check around if you have any local maker spaces (or if your local library/museums have the equivalent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(PSN) SilentSniper_X_
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
merijn wrote:

3d printing is fairly cheap, if you have your own machine. The problem is its an extremely slow process. Looking at your parts I'd say that's a day to 2 days worth of time that someones machine is tied up and their not producing for someone else.

Quote:
use the right tool for the right job. from the posted pictures, that would be cheaper (and faster) to produce as a laser cut insert than 3d printed. check around if you have any local maker spaces (or if your local library/museums have the equivalent).

You may also want to look at local colleges. I know I use UCF engineering department's laser cutter all the time. There's often a decent wait to use it, but that's a small price to pay for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Salas
Spain
Las Matas
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
merijn wrote:
[...]

Thats REALLY expensive... Were did you get the quote from?. The only big problem I see with your design is the size, though it shouldn't be too complicated to divide it into smaller pieces.

I've done some 3D printed inserts with a local shop and the most I've paid for a piece (9 hours of printing) was 40€.

Do you have the 3D file uploaded anywhere? Maybe I could ask them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Steinberger
Germany
Taunusstein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working in a company that's running a 3D-printing service using SLS. I can just estimate the size of this parts, but I would guess it's at least a whole machine that's running for these parts so the price would be something about 1.500€ in total.
3D-printing is definitely not the way to go for this project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
merijn coudeville
Belgium
varsenare
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll probably use my design to make a foamcore version...
i really under estimated the printing time to be such a huge cost...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't design something which is mostly flat planes as a set of 3d pieces, but as a set of 2d laser cut files. That is a far cheaper and stronger process for that kind of work.

You won't save money over Meeple Realty's prices getting a custom cut, however.

I am starting at a set of Gloomhaven player boards on Thingiverse which are kind of impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Forsen
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I'd be interested in giving this a test for my own use if you make the cad files available, was planning to design my own insert.

Size shouldn't be a problem so long as no piece is more than 300x300mm, the size of the CR-10 bed. It could theoretically do 400mm standing up or even longer at an angle but that would probably require an insane amount of supports.

And I have looked at laser-cutting foamboard as an alterantive, seen some engraving builds people have done that could probably be altered.. but I don't like them toxic fumes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Charabaruk
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Have you put the models up on Thingaverse or are you planning to? I just bought a 3D printer and once I get it and shake it down I want to try making an insert for Gloomhaven.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A.
msg tools
mb
Printing a whole box is too much I think.

I'm going to reuse the original box. Monsters will go in CD sleeves next to the player boxes. Keep the players in their hibernation pods.

Tokens will go in 5"x9" plano 3500.

I'll 3D print a box for the terrain tiles and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.