Runewars Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Why not coloured plastic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who knows how much effort it takes to paint a regiment, I don't see not going for prepaints as an error or missed opportunity. But if the miniatures require assembly - and in rank and file they should, for variability - why not go for coloured plastic? I can certainly see casting each miniature in several parts of different coloured plastic, which would have an effect comparable to basic prepaints, but more neat, not obscuring the details and raising the cost considerably.

With same careful consideration in army and unit selection, it should be doable, and both of the initial armies seem like good candidates. Skeletons can easily be cast in bone colour + some snap on clothes on back and front, armoured knights in silver with standing out shields and crests would also beat grey blobs.

Of course, this means increased complexity of assembly, but as some of it is involved anyway, it doesn't feel like a deal breaker, and the only thing required is super glue you likely already have or can get for peanuts anywhere. The complexity of the project and mini design would also go up, but when casting whole regiments, the choice of doing various parts of the mini in separate frames/shots seems viable, and it would have the added benefit of enabling more complex and interesting sculpts, somewhat offsetting the additional cost.

With a sprayed-on shade and drybrush, which is a fast (and thus financially viable) way of making presentable army, I would argue that the result wouldn't be far from the 'three colours up' standard, offer a significant advantage to people not painting themselves, and no disadvantage to those who do (and plastic in a colour close to the final paintjob is always a good thing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Origins 2018 Jun 13th - 17th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 7 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like that's exactly what they are doing with A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game – Stark vs Lannister Starter Set, which I would see as a direct competitor to Runewars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Colored plastics was another suggestion I made. Privateer Press adopted this method in their most-recent re-tool of their starter boxes. Makes it easy to identify each side, and if you are interested in the game and not the painting, it gives a very rudimentary aesthetic to the table.

I am following Song of Ice and Fire . . . interested to see the mechanics, though. What excites me most about Runewars is that FFG is a great game design company that knows how to interject interesting decision-making in the games along with tension and balance. That is their primary strength. What makes me cautious is FFG's penchant for nuking entire game lines, often with very short lead times to maximize the sell off of product before they drop it from production. This practice is what has me holding off. If Runewars Miniatures is still around in 2-3 years, I might be a candidate.

Now that I know about Song of Ice and Fire, my decision is only bolstered. But I am much more cautious with this newly announced game: gotta see a demo and maybe some rules before I'll plan on buying in. They've got to have a good game in there, not just a bunch of pretty minis. But unlike the Terrinoth setting, Song of Ice and Fire has an automatic fan-base to draw from. I am a rabid Geo. R. R. Martin fan (not just of the Song of Ice and Fire series, but also the SIFRPG, board games based on the setting, I've read lots of his other fiction, too). So this product, once word gets out, will have thousands of fans checking it out to see. I hope they make a good game that is evocative of the battle scenes in the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just colored bases. The figure can remain grey and then put a colored ring around the base or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I wonder how CMON got the license for a Game of Thrones game. Thought FFG owned that...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Huh, I wonder how CMON got the license for a Game of Thrones game. Thought FFG owned that...

-shnar

Seems a lot of these licenses can go for (1) just a specific product, or (2) a category of products - like "boardgames", or (3) a total license, which is pretty rare for the higher-value IP. I mean look at Star Trek and all the companies with licensing deals. Or Star Wars products, etc. FFG only had a license for WH40K non-miniature stuff, and there was a dispute over IA and Armada -- because FFG only had a license for miniatures games and they had IA listed under a boardgame or something . . . I think the takeaway is that the IP stuff can get complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing the choice of gray plastic throughout was likely due to visuals. With colored plastic it can be much harder to see the details on the miniatures which can make the product look inferior. With the price set the way it is, you want the quality of the miniatures to be perceived and not glossed over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not into painting and the hobby side of miniatures, you have BattleLore with colored plastic. Presumably, you won't play Runewars unless you are looking forward to painting your miniatures (or having someone paint them for you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you are playing it because you want a richer game than Battlelore. It's perfectly fine to play most minis game with unpainted minis - of the companies I'm aware of only GW has any sort of painting requirement for official play (i.e. - tournaments, etc...) and in unofficial play you can do what you like anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
Single coloured minis are actually quite common. I was thinking about minis coposed from parts of different sprues in different colours. So bone-coloured skelletons + purple torso rags + bronze shield. Seeing how people complain about FFG quickly dropping support for their system games, I think that many people looking to invest in a large wargame would pick something from a publisher actually commited to their system.

Killing a board game after one expansion is one thing, but spending several hunderd dollars and hours on an army to see an incompatible śecond edition in 3-5 years is another. If they were able to lower that limit, for example by jaking the game ready to play from the box, including multicolour minis, it, I could see myself and others give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
doerrhb wrote:
Looks like that's exactly what they are doing with A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game – Stark vs Lannister Starter Set, which I would see as a direct competitor to Runewars.

Yep.

Minis are pre-assembled, making the barrier to entry even lower to boardgamers. IP's certainly stronger than Terrinath (sp), if only for gamers to ask how well the game treats the IP (fwiw, it's based on the books). AFAIK, CMON dropped Wrath of Kings, so dunno how much dedication CMON (or FFG for that matter) will have for their miniatures wargame.

For more discussion, see the Dakka forums: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/720705.page...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doerrhb wrote:

Yikes. As if I needed another wargame to have an interest in... And I don't own anything by CMON so far (because fuck Kickstarter exclusives), but the minis seem to be living up to their reputation.

shnar wrote:

Why? To make use of the easiest comparison: Fantasy Flight owns the licenses to card and board games set in Westeros and Middle-Earth, but RPGs for both are done by others, as are Middle-Earth wargames, so why wouldn't Westeros wargames be?

charlest wrote:
I'm guessing the choice of gray plastic throughout was likely due to visuals. With colored plastic it can be much harder to see the details on the miniatures which can make the product look inferior. With the price set the way it is, you want the quality of the miniatures to be perceived and not glossed over.

That makes no sense as FFG never show unpainted miniatures for this game to begin with. Single-colored armies would lower the psychological barrier to entry at no discernible detriment, and it's not as if Runewars were likely to ever flow over with factions needing different colors. I guess grey plastic might be somewhat cheaper simply because everyone's using it, but injecting different colors into the moulds for the starter set could only be beneficial, cf. current Blood Bowl.

schizoferret wrote:
Single coloured minis are actually quite common. I was thinking about minis coposed from parts of different sprues in different colours. So bone-coloured skelletons + purple torso rags + bronze shield.

That would considerably increase assembly from next to none to quite extensive, though. Single-colored ought to suffice for any that have no interest in the hobby aspect.

Sam and Max wrote:
(fwiw, it's based on the books)

Thank the Seven.

However, as much as I love the books and their setting, being all humans, it's basically just one step removed from historical wargaming which barely interests me at all for this very reason. Only real exceptions are mammoths and giants in wildling armies and a handful of skinchangers. And Wildfire, I guess. All other magic either has no notable combat value (seers, Children) or is utterly overpowered (dragons, Others). Maybe if they included Essos (specifically Asshai), I'd be more inclined to assemble an army, but that's very unlikely to happen anywhen soon if indeed ever.

Anyway, a look on the box cover on its BGG page reveals that Dark Sword Miniatures, i.e. the guys that have been making ASoIaF miniatues (mostly for diorama purposes) for many, many years, are involved. Whether that's out of a commendable desire for consistency or a license-related legal necessity, either way it's a positive in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are neutral characters, or cross faction (like the elf unit special already revealed), then the colored plastics end up just being kind of jumbled in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. Still, those would only be special cases and certainly not applicable for the starter set(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twincast wrote:
That makes no sense as FFG never show unpainted miniatures for this game to begin with. Single-colored armies would lower the psychological barrier to entry at no discernible detriment, and it's not as if Runewars were likely to ever flow over with factions needing different colors. I guess grey plastic might be somewhat cheaper simply because everyone's using it, but injecting different colors into the moulds for the starter set could only be beneficial, cf. current Blood Bowl.

I'm not talking about pictures of product online or for promotional reasons, I'm talking about seeing people actually playing it in stores. Fan pictures on social media, etc.

It's a big reason why Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days launched as a prepainted product, because they wanted people who saw it being played to be drawn in. It's also one of the main reasons GW requires armies be painted at tournaments.

As an example, the main pictures that stick in my head of this game are from Jamie (Secret Cabal) and Joel Eddy who have both been posting pictures on Twitter. You guessed it, unpainted minis. Jamie's in particular were multi-angle closeups of the minis trying to show off the sculpts and detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.