Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
My gaming group didn't want to Play Smallworld because it gets too confusing of who is who, and whose declaned race is which, specially in 5 player game.
I tried this and it works great.
I took meeples from five tribes, and assigned each Player a color. Whenever they are putting troops on map they use them instead of those small tokens. Meeples standing are active and laying declaned.
It works great and makes 4-5 player game much easier to grasp.
Ideas to make it even better?
PHOTO is not from actual gameplay, so rules are broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think completely removing the cardboard from the board completely is a good idea. 1 tap and a bunch of active races can accidentally decline themselves without people realizing it plus it makes it difficult to see who you are attacking.

I'd suggest using the cardboard as normal but also placing 1 (or more) meaple to show the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
Races in decline are reduced to ONE 'meeple' ...which does not appear to be the case on your board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oobydoob wrote:
Races in decline are reduced to ONE 'meeple' ...which does not appear to be the case on your board!

I forgot to take picture last night, so this is just for showing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
I don't think completely removing the cardboard from the board completely is a good idea. 1 tap and a bunch of active races can accidentally decline themselves without people realizing it plus it makes it difficult to see who you are attacking.

I'd suggest using the cardboard as normal but also placing 1 (or more) meaple to show the player.

Makes sense. We did play likr that, but it still felt fiddly. Maybe it is just us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Herrero
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Are you playing correctly?
Everybody should have the race and ability tiles they are playing with and only one of the decline races/abilities (even if you put more than one in decline).
How is that confusing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
personally, I'd get more confused having two different races using the same color regardless of stand/lying down. A quick glance at the board reveals a bunch of blue or red or whatever, but the reality, the active races aren't actually that strong. A player is more likely to overestimate their strength and thus wait too long to decline.

Perhaps using the tokens as designed and just marking the active regions with a single colored meeple so players can see where they have current tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donie wrote:
Are you playing correctly?
Everybody should have the race and ability tiles they are playing with and only one of the decline races/abilities (even if you put more than one in decline).
How is that confusing?

Sure. Photo is just example of how it looks. Sorry for confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
personally, I'd get more confused having two different races using the same color regardless of stand/lying down. A quick glance at the board reveals a bunch of blue or red or whatever, but the reality, the active races aren't actually that strong. A player is more likely to overestimate their strength and thus wait too long to decline.

Perhaps using the tokens as designed and just marking the active regions with a single colored meeple so players can see where they have current tokens.

I am the ine teaching other people games, and making sure everything is going ok, and no mistakes have been made. So I found that sometimes I forget to give points for races in decline, so maybe I just tried to make my life easier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how this would make it easier to identify which spaces belong to which players, but it comes at the cost of knowing which races are on which spaces.

For example, I can't tell if the blue player is sorcerers or gypsies.

While I can remember some funny times when one player attacks me thinking it was someone else, we generally don't have an issue keeping track of who is who.

Are you keeping the race/skill tiles in front of each player? That should be an easy way to tell who is who.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinci doesn't suffer this problem whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
no, just from plenty of others that Small World addresses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion - use the tokens as normal and place an appropriate-coloured meeple on the top of each pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Suggestion - use the tokens as normal and place an appropriate-coloured meeple on the top of each pile.

8 think this is the beat solution.

We use a similar method--I pilfered the tokens from Bejeweled to simply differentiate eqch player from one another. Each player gets a set of token of each different color and places a token upon each sector/space of the board he/she conquers, whether it be with an active race or a declined race--just to make it clear which player a race belongs to. Colored meeples could do the same thing, but the game tokens are almost essential for deliniating which race/power is present in a given sector/space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Povey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the constant need to identify which meeples represent which races would offset the benefit of knowing at a glance which player a race belongs to.
Also, how do you identify which in decline race is which when someone has more than 1 race in decline using Spirits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepov wrote:
I would think the constant need to identify which meeples represent which races would offset the benefit of knowing at a glance which player a race belongs to.
Also, how do you identify which in decline race is which when someone has more than 1 race in decline using Spirits?

you lay the meeples down on their other side devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepov wrote:

We ended up playing with tokens as designed, and just put colored cubes in same spot so we know, on glance, who is who. Only needed in 4-5 players, specially with few players that never played before.
Thank you all for suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
UanarchyK wrote:
no, just from plenty of others that Small World addresses

Such as? As far as I can tell, Vinci is the far superior version. I'm interested in a dissenting view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.