Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rest of the Essex County Player Cards have been spoiled on Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1398755380169794&set...

The new cards are:

Deduction
Type: Skill
XP:2
Icons: 2 Intellect
Class: Seeker
If the skill test is successful while investigating gain 1 clue from this location. (2 additional clues instead if succeed by 2 or more)

Art Student
Type: Asset
Trait: Ally, Miskatonic
XP:0
Cost: 2
Icons: 1 Intellect
Class: Seeker
Slot: Ally
Reaction: When Art Student enters play gain 1 clue at this location.
Health: 1, Sanity:2

Switchblade
Trait: Item, weapon, melee, illicit
XP: 2
Cost: 1
Icons: Combat, Agility
Class: Rogue
Slot: Hand
Fast
Action: Fight you get +2 combat for this attack. If you succeed by 2 or more this attack gains +1 damage.

Shriveling
Trait: Spell
XP: 3
Cost: 3
Icons: Willpower and Combat
Class: Mystic
Slot: Arcane
Uses: 4 charges
Action: Fight this attack uses Willpower instead of combat. You get +2 Willpower and +1 damage for this attack. If a special bad tokens is revealed during this attack take 1 horror.

Hypnotic Gaze
Type: Event
Trait: Spell
XP: 0
Cost: 3
Icons: Combat and Agility
Class: Mystic
Fast. Play when an enemy attacks an investigator at your location. Cancel that attack. Then draw a chaos token if a special bad token is drawn the enemy deals its damage to itself.

Newspaper
Trait: Item
XP: 0
Icons: Intellect
Class: Survivor
Slot: Hand
You get +2 intellect when investigating if you have no clues.

Lure
Type: Event
Trait: Trick
XP: 1
Icons: 2 Agility
Class: Survivor
Attach to your location.
During the enemy phase, each enemy that moves does so along the shortest path toward the attached location. Instead of to where it would normally move.
Forced: While attached, at the end of the round discard lure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Newspaper looks interesting in a Burglary build for Ashcan, Wendy, or Jenny. The problem is the hand slot. In multiplayer you can often empty your clues more easily then in solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lure is an interesting card for Evade specialty decks. That can buy you a significant amount of time avoiding hunter enemies. Though how easy it is to use depends on the shape of the scenario's map I think.

Switchblade is interesting because it's a straight up replacement for the .41 though at a sizeable xp cost. In a Newspaper, Burglary, Hard Knocks Wendy deck it would fit easier than Baseball Bat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
Lure is an interesting card for Evade specialty decks. That can buy you a significant amount of time avoiding hunter enemies. Though how easy it is to use depends on the shape of the scenario's map I think.

Switchblade is interesting because it's a straight up replacement for the .41 though at a sizeable xp cost. In a Newspaper, Burglary, Hard Knocks Wendy deck it would fit easier than Baseball Bat.
I think that Jenny could play that deck is well.

One interesting thing I have noticed is that skill icons make a big difference. For example I have been playing Oops! in Ashcan deck, not for the event, but for the 2 fight icons. I'm out of here could see play in an Agility heavy deck just for its two agility icons.

The new Shriveling seems like a Jim card to me. I'm not sure if Agnes needs the +2 Will, but Jim wants that. Hypnotic Gaze is also better in Jim, although I don't think that it is good even for him. Does Agnes want a dodge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hypnotic Gaze is nice because it's fast and testless so you know you are saving yourself (or your buddy) from an attack and may be doing damage back. Looks strong, but 3 cost is super expensive so it's not an easy thing to play. Also mystic decks are already strapped for space because they have lots of good utility spells.

The upgraded Shriveling I agree is probably not for Agnes. She has such a wealth of Willpower so she'd rather spend her xp on other things. It's better served in Jim or Marie decks.

Add: I agree that double icon cards are much easier to slot in even if their utility is situational. Getting a double boost off of one discard is such a boon. Especially if the deck is geared to make that check often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
youperguy wrote:
Newspaper looks interesting in a Burglary build for Ashcan, Wendy, or Jenny. The problem is the hand slot. In multiplayer you can often empty your clues more easily then in solo.

Newspaper is also more useful in some scenarios than in others, which I think makes it a bit better for Wendy and Jenny, since they can be Adaptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
So Lure only lasts for the round it was attached on? Seems kind of weak...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe. I suspect that's why it has 2 agility icons and a low cost.

Though making an enemy move away from you instead of toward you can buy you time which depending on the situation could be a huge boon. Perhaps the enemy will leave play in a turn or two due to the act or agenda text and this will delay them enough to make them a non issue. Perhaps you just need to get to a location and do something to finish the scenario, and a turn hindering the enemy movement would be enough to give you a victory. Remember it can effect multiple enemies. The problem with this use is that the location map would need to be shaped in such a way that this is practical especially in the most common scenario where you'd be using this to effect hunter movement. Otherwise you'd wonder why use this rather than just evade the hunter.

Beyond that use it seems to me depending on the scenario dictating an enemies movement can yield some fun and/or powerful plays. Perhaps you need an enemy to enter a particular location to trigger an effect on the location or an attached card at that location. Also just manipulating the hunter/prey logic to get the enemy to follow a different investigator in certain scenarios can be really useful.

Also we could see more enemy movement that doesn't involve the hunter keyword. Depending on what form it takes that might make the card more useful. For example some sort of triggered movement that might happen multiple times in a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, lure is weak for the action. The reason you would play it is for the icons. Two agility can be useful in a deck that is agility focused.

Currently the only cards that do that are:

Manual Dexterity
Lure
I'm Out of Here

Obviously Manual dexterity is better, but for a deck that wants four cards with 2 agility icons, cards like that Lure or I'm Out of Here provides the icons with a different option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.