Subject: Multiplayer campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've happily backed the expansion and awaiting it's arrival.
Also read the new rules and implemented most of it already in our base game (too lazy to print out mods, but economy wheel, exlporation trade in and new respawn and ship abilitis are great!)
So i know there will be the singleplayer campaign included in Embers, but is there any chance to get a multiplayer campaign?
It doesn't have to be a legacy one, but one like e.g. descent with a replayability would be nice.
I'm not a big fan of solo plays (but to each his own, i'm happy for everyone who enjoys it) and mostly we are a group of 3-5 players playing to 20 fame point(that may sound ambitious in terms of game lenght, but we're eclipse 7-9 player, and ti3 veterans so time usually isn't an issue).

Or has anyone experimented with making the existing campaign multiplayer?
I will also steal some campaign rules to let the npc's level up during normal games so they continue to have impact even in lategame.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with the games you mentioned so am not sure what you mean by "campaign". If you mean to follow a narrative or story-line, there are some great creative mods found in : Unofficial Xia:LoaDS mods and expansions (I suck at linking things properly). You can find all sorts of fan made add-ons like: xythis invasion, plague outbreak, alien expasion, etc.

The community surrounding this game is awesome. You can also find other mods under "variants" in the forum...again, I'd add a proper link if I knew how.

Seeing that I'm new to the board game world and only own Xia so far, I was wondering about your opinion on Ti3 and eclipse. Out of the 3, what's your favorite? What do you play the most?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Under campaign i mean like slowly upgrading your ship over a round of games. Like an RPG.

The comparison between the 3 is very hard.
Xia only shares the scifi theme with the other ones. It's a super fun orgy of dicerolling.

The other 2 are 4x games (explore expand exploit exterminate), where you manage a whole empire and get in very direct conflict with the other players.
Both games rely very heavy on at least 1 expansion to make them feel whole.

For TI3 you need a day. Yes a day!!! Its gigantic and epic. It looks very cool, but has a good chunk of many tiny special rules for different situations.
Eclipse can be played at an evening (4-6h) it has some of the most elegant mechanics i've ever seen and plays much smoother.

I read a good comparison between the 2 somewhere:
In TI3 you rule your empire.
In eclipse you manage your empire.

I really love both, though atm eclipse sees much more tablespace as it is newer in my collection(6 months vs 6 years). And i guess it will stay this way since TI3 takes really forever.

So even if i love TI3 i would vote for eclipse atm, simply by being playable in one evening and beeing the much more elegant design.

Xia can not be compared to both since it offers a complete other feeling/play experience. It feels more like an openworld dungeoncrawler in space (your ship is your character which you gear and level up), the others are more wargame like.

In my opinion both are better with more players than less.
TI3 needs at least 5 player (in my opinion) and is unplayble without the 1st expansion (but if you get it you will get both) and caps at 8.
Eclipse gets up to 9 at max and i also would highly recomend all the expansions as they add so much cool stuff and diversity without further complictaing this beautiful gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Schmidt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrackTheSky wrote:
(I suck at linking things properly)

You can use this and delete any _ spaces I made

[url=http://www. YOUR LINK HERE .com/] YOUR TEXT HERE [/url]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the comparison of the 3. My next game purchase will probably be Eclipse. TI3 sounds like a commitment!

Anyway, back to the thread. I haven't come across a campaign style MOD on this forum, but there's plenty of MODs that you could help you build one:
Crew cards add an RPG element, the Mining Outfit is an upgrade for salvage/mining actions, FRAG/EMP mines as a new weapon, and there are threads on how to boost missiles/blasters.

How about a space garage/chop-shop, where you could spend credits to upgrade:
extra slots on you ship to accommodate more outfits, buy a better fuel cell to add Energy points, tweak more power out your impulse engine, and perhaps even add more "Armed" slots. The latter may be a bad idea since a player's turn can already drag on sometimes.
So you add in a ship upgrade system and a skill tree system for the crew and we may have the basis for a new expansion.

Haha! Cody has just completed the first expansion, and we already want more . Personally, I don't want to mess too much with the core mechanics of this game. Too many ship upgrades would make buying a higher tiered ship irrelevant. Besides, Embers will already be adding a bunch of ship mods.

But as Kevin Costner says, "if you build it, they will come". I'll be happy to give Xia: the RPG Campaign a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Levia, I'll try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about this before, but never really put any time into formalizing any of the thoughts that I had. I've played 3 complete solo campaigns, around half a dozen campaigns that I abandoned for various reasons, and between 1-2 dozen single solo games (most of those were to test various rules mods).

I think my ideas could work fine for 2-player, but I imagine that this will be less effective each time you add an additional player. The game plays excellent with 3 people anyway, so I'd rather just play multiple single games with 3+ people, instead of trying to do a campaign. So forewarning that I don't think this is the best idea for more players.

So I'll put some ideas on how I'd run a 2-player campaign HERE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Winkler
Germany
Speyer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input guys, but i'm hoping more for a fully fleshed out multiplayer (4-5 ppl, my usual playcount) campaign.
Maybe Cody makes one someday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.