Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I want to give a friend a game as a present.

He loved Settlers in his youth, but as far as I know he hasn't played much since. He's in his late 30ies now and has a wife and two boys of about 5–7 years. He's got too much to do with work (he's a baker) and saves his little sparetime for his family - so no time for gaming and he's git no gaming group anyway.

So I thought, I'd give him something to enjoy with his family. He's obviously a "secret" gamer, but I guess his wife and boys aren't. So I thought of a coop. Coop and competitive mode would be the cherry on the cake.

His older kid loved engines when he was smaller. Trucks, trains that stuff. Apart from baking and food/wine (he's a trained chef) that's about my only idea regarding theme. So one of these themes would be a plus.

I don't have kids so I have a hard time estimating what complexity level would suit his boys. I guess, sturdy components would be good.
If the game is one of those that appeals to both kids and adults, that would be great.

Language: English
#Players: 1–4

Thanks for your advice!

PS:
My first thoughts were Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert (the latter has that cool machine).
Ticket to Ride would be that great train-themed family game, but maybe a bit too obvious? I want something that they haven't known before...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert seems like a good option. As you said, it comes with the cool machine and it's fun to work together to find the pieces.

Sushi Go! - is great for a light game that is fun for all ages. Not a co-op, but not highly competitive. Bonus for food theme!

Colt Express - has been a big hit with nearly everyone I've played with, especially kids. It's not a co-op either, but it has the awesome 3D train!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.