Subject: Is Core Set Enough? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I have been interested in this game for a while as I don't have any similar head-to-head card games like it. Do you guys feel like the base game alone provides enough variety for casual play? I will probably be playing mostly with random friends/family and won't have a consistent opponent. From all the videos I've watched this game seems easier to learn than say Netrunner, hopefully making it easier to jump into for pick up games, but still have the depth that will have me coming back to try out new strategies.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For casual play, absolutely. You get a lot of variety out of the six base decks, and there are plenty of good deck-building cards without the need to buy expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
Hey guys,

I have been interested in this game for a while as I don't have any similar head-to-head card games like it. Do you guys feel like the base game alone provides enough variety for casual play? I will probably be playing mostly with random friends/family and won't have a consistent opponent. From all the videos I've watched this game seems easier to learn than say Netrunner, hopefully making it easier to jump into for pick up games, but still have the depth that will have me coming back to try out new strategies.

Thanks!

Yes - I think the base game is more than enough for casual play. It comes with 6 pre-built decks complete. Unlike FFG's LCGs, the core set comes with everything you need right off the bat to play with full decks. Then you can mix things up if you want wants the 6 main decks have been played out.

And yes, this game is easier to learn than Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Gumps wrote:
And yes, this game is easier to learn than Netrunner.

I'm pretty sure every LCG/can't-call-it-a-LCG out there is easier to learn than Netrunner due to the asymmetry of the game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael
msg tools
badge
Very recommended, but - a reprint of the core set should be out soon (I am guessing it's soon, there's no official release date yet) with revised rules and fixes to some cards.
So I recommend you wait so you won't regret getting the older version just before the newer got released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The core set is stunning value for one box, a totally different approach than most major publishers take with this type of game. We play this all the time in my house and there is a crap ton of mileage in the core set.

There ARE some minor changes coming in the next printing but they are minor at most. Unless you plan on playing competitive they really aren't going to impact your experience and even league players don't need the newest printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback. That's reassuring to hear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
Canada
flag msg tools
Raphael24 wrote:
Very recommended, but - a reprint of the core set should be out soon (I am guessing it's soon, there's no official release date yet) with revised rules and fixes to some cards.
So I recommend you wait so you won't regret getting the older version just before the newer got released.

Do you maybe have a timeline for this possible reprint?

I am considering getting the same myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
The announcement was Q3, so could be as soon as July or as late as September if they meet that timeline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
Canada
flag msg tools
DreadFool wrote:
The announcement was Q3, so could be as soon as July or as late as September if they meet that timeline.

Thank you so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teage Watson
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Raphael24 wrote:

From a Plaid Hat article on their website:
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/775

"Regarding Recent Rumors of the Base Game

Speaking of updates, we've got a few products that will be seeing updated versions! Starting with the next print run of the Ashes base game, a few cards will have updated versions included to clean up certain card text language, correct typos or spelling errors and include the errata version of the Enchanted Violinist ally card. The reason we'd like to address this is to assure our fans that this is not a new version of the base game, or an updated edition. This is simply an effort to improve our previous product with each print run, as is the standard in our industry. Again, to clarify, these changes are very minor. There is no need to purchase a new base game if you already own a copy, as all of your cards will be compatible and tournament legal. We’d like to specifically address a recent leak from New York Toy Fair that listed this new printing of the base game as a “Revised Copy.” The revisions in question are only to improve spelling and typo errors, as well as the Enchanted Violinist. Participants in Ashes Organized Play tournaments are expected to know the most updated version of their cards, as well as all changes or errata from the official FAQ. For those of you that already have the base game, you are not obligated to purchase an updated version from a subsequent print run."

Based on this article, I wouldn't be too concerned about waiting. I am sure any updated rules will be made available for download and the errata card will be available through an OP event. I would jump in and try this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmb
I would strongly suggest buy the core set play games with it for a year and if after that you still want to play more then consider some of the expansion decks. You can easily play heaps of different games with the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stade Garibaldi
msg tools
I have a similar question:

Is there cards that are too good to not have in all decks?

Meaning that, I would have to buy more than one copy of the base set to have enough copies of said cards to use in all decks simultaneously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stadegaribaldi wrote:

Meaning that, I would have to buy more than one copy of the base set to have enough copies of said cards to use in all decks simultaneously?

There are no cards that you will want in all decks. Primarily because of the different dice types in the game.

There are of course, though, cards that you may find yourself wanting to use in multiple decks. And if you wish to keep multiple decks constructed at all times you may find it gets very expensive very fast.

A better way is to record the make up of your decks, perhaps using the Plaid Hat deckbuilder, and reconstruct them as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinfield
msg tools
stadegaribaldi wrote:

Most dice types will have some cards that yes, you want to include in all decks that run that dice type. And some are good enough that you'll be tempted to splash a dice type just to get specific cards. There's also some 'neutrals' that you may want to play in multiple decks, though not neccasarily in everything.

So there's definitely a limit on how many 'optimal' decks you can have at one time. How much of an issue that is for you is a personal thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Favre
Switzerland
Sion
Valais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stadegaribaldi wrote:

Frostback Bear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dYnkYn wrote:
stadegaribaldi wrote:

Frostback Bear

To be clear, this popular card is from an expansion, not the core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.