Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo dear Geeks,

I was looking for a nice dungeon crawl with a nice compaign and decent minis. So of course I came across Descent and I was wondering how much gameplay I can get out of the core game alone? The interesting part for me is playing with the app against a AI-driven DM.
Also do I miss a lot if I focus on just the Big Box expansions?

Regards Andreas

Ps: sorry if this has been asked before. There are a ton of threads and I checked the first few pages but did not find the answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Andreas! I just bought Descent for the same reasons and I am pleasantly surprised with it. There is indeed a good amount of content right out of the box that allow you to play the rise of the goblin and kindred fire campaign in the app (probably delve too but I have not tried yet).

If you intend to play the regular way, make sure you get the edition with te "heir of blood campaign", its written on the back of the box, above the bar code. Its generally viewed as a much better campaign than the original one, shadow rune.

With 8 characters and a good variety of monsters, there is enough in there to at least get a few play before you decide if and what to buy next..have a good one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All RtL modules published so far are playable with just the core box, save for the Seeds of Corruption campaign, which requires Shadow of Nerekhall.

Regarding replayability, this is achieved by a random amount of side quests (and dungeon levels in the Delve), whose number depends on the expansions you own. Also, depending on your expansions, the monsters appearing in your quests may vary also. So, although only the core set is required to play Road to Legend, and you'll get a good amount of plays out of it alone, the more content you own the better.

For the reasons above, if you're planning on getting expansions along the road, Shadow of Nerekhall should be your top priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is more than enough variation out of the core box, even if you are planning on playing just with the app (which I would advise you don't, playing against a human opponent is so much more fun!).

There are 8 hero characters that come with the base game, 8 classes that come with the base game (which can be combined to a certain extend, giving more variation), 9 monster types (38 monster figures), and a ton of items, skills, map tiles, etc.

In my opinion, the base game contains enough content to enjoy at least 2 full campaigns of descent (1 full campaign can be up to 50 hours of gameplay) and probably the Rise of All Goblins demo (it is important to note that the Rise of All Goblins is not a full campaign. A lot of people did not realise that and felt disappointed: it is only 1 tutorial encounter and 2 quests). After that you might want to start adding some expansions.

If you are looking for an expansion, the first expansion you get should be Shadow of Nerekhall as it is needed for the Seeds of Corruption campaign included in the app. This expansion comes with 4 additional classes, heroes, and monsters, new map tiles, and extra items.

After that you can basically choose everything. Big box expansions are usually more bang for your buck, but they are also the most expensive to get (obviously).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MA Wolfe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll start with the core box... and then you'll try out the app, and then you'll own much, much more... shake

At least, that's how it was for me and my group. (Well, we started with Runebound, then moved into Descent.) 1vsAll isn't my favorite type, so I bought Descent knowing the RtL app was what I really wanted.

And FFG is learning. The latest campaign is far better than Kindred Fire - I mean, still a ways to go before perfection - but they've at least latched onto a weightier sense of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the comments. One question. How do I know if the the game has the new compaign in it or not(i would get it online because I have no gamestore nearby), especially the german edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess all online stores do have the new edition now. I have ordered mine a year ago from fantasywelt.de and got the reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Kasper
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadgit wrote:
I guess all online stores do have the new edition now. I have ordered mine a year ago from fantasywelt.de and got the reprint.

Good to know thanks. That is actually my favourite online shop for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.